Author Topic: Ticked off and confused  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Jerry

Ticked off and confused
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »
The motor i am working on is a 700 efi sportsman (the wireing dia is posted in the  diagram section).

My problem is the fan it was working fine when i last ran it. I installed 2 temp gauges now it does not work. I am getting no power out of the load shed it appears.

Can someone tell me how to bypass the old wiring and run the circut from the temp gauge.
What i had was the old circut from the quad and then i put a relay in line where the old fan was and ran it to the new fan.

boltz2012

Re: Ticked off and confused
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »
Take the relay out and try wiring it straight from the wires that went to the old fan. I put a new fan in an artic cat that i had and just made the wires longer. If i remember right you can get a temp switch and run a wire from hot to the temp switch then to the fan. Hook the ground up from the fan to the battery. When the switch reaches the temp its designed to close/open at then the fan will get juice and come on. I believe they are mostly N/O though. Im sure someone will come on here and tell me im wrong or that i need a relay in there but you dont. A relay is just a switch. When voltzge is applied it either opens or closes as to desaign. The temp switch does the same thing. Only uses the temp to do it.

boltz2012

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »
You can also run a wire from the hot to the fan to check and see that it will turn on....then run it to one side of the relay and see if it changes anything then to the other. Also check grounding...make sure its grounded real good.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »
I thought fans and thermo switches were normally negative switched?  Meaning the switch was in the ground wire.
This post has been edited due to content.

boltz2012

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
they prolly are...i think either way will work....but if he has a relay in the series it a hot line going through it.

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »
Boltz... VIP Eye Candy King.. that he is, that he is.... lets find someone who argues with that... come on guys....  :- :police:

Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:14:25 AM »
Fan relays can trigger Ground or power, thermo switches are generally designed for no load, they are used to trigger the relay only, and in most cases they trigger ground for the the relay...

Offline Jerry

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »
So on a five pole relay 30 is power from the battery, 87 runs power to the fan, and 86 would be the activator ground wire from the thermo switch.

boltz2012

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Well there you go...Bug summed it up. +1

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »
I installed a spal thermo switch and wire harness today the fan is supposed to comes on automaticlly at 195and off at 175. The fan comes on/off just fine.

The two senders for the water temp gauges i had to use a little telfon tape to stop a couple of little leaks. The gauges that goes to the radiator reads about 100c (i believe that is 212F) when the fan kicks on. The gauge after the  radiator reads about 200F when the fan kicks on. When the fan kicks off the gauge before the radiator reads just below 200F. The gauge after the radiator reads just over 160F.

Could the telfon tape cause the temp readings to be off, if so what else could i use to stop the leaks. the telofon tape was just on the threads.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
Guages are likely not that accurate in the first place and how far are they from the fan sensors?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »
were is the actual sender that is telling the fan to come on and off... that is were the temp matters the most...

Offline Jerry

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »
The sensor is mounted in the block were the old sensor was right in frt of the thermstat. There is about 8 ft of 14gauge wire between the sensor and the gauger.

Offline ace

• "project storage expert"
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
IMO u should disregard the readings after the radiator.
As this is only measuring the temp drop across the rad. Which
Would coincide with the readings you posted.
IE.. Temps in and out closer together with the fan off
 And a lager difference with the fan running.
 The engine outlet to the radiator would be the
 Engine running temp and should be used for both controlling
 The fan and gauge reading.
 Utilizing the radiator outlet
 For either would be dangerous as the fan would turn
 On at let's say 212f but the actual engine temp might be 250f because the senders are reading the rad
 Out temp after any cooling has been
 Done by the radiator.
Joe

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal