Author Topic: AR-51 build  (Read 136813 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: AR-51 build
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »
I can see a lot of talent in this build.  Not to many people have enough pride in there self or work for this caliber of work.  I can see pride dripping off this build.  Keep up the excellent work Deranged. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline deranged

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »
Hey fellas!  Still here.  LOL  So, I got all my cables last week, installed my chain and finally took it out.  This car handles SOO much better than my old Rorty car.  Very nimble.  The 750 seems to pull it really nice too.  So far, everywhere I have driven it (fields, grass, gravel roads) I can nail it, and loose traction rather quick.  Cornering is a matter of blipping the throttle point and shoot.  I will still have to re valve to a lighter shim stack, as I am already adjusted out to the softest setting.  When I re valve I will probably do a flutter stack to take up some of the choppiness.

Also, the GSXR 1000 countershaft sprocket is the same as the 750, so bought a 13 tooth for the front, while the rear is a 60 tooth, with 28" tall tires.  Seems really peppy with this gearing. 

Here is a link to literally my first spin.  HAA  It's hard to steer, hand clutch, hand shift while doing a live facebook video.

I live nowhere near a desert....

Offline deranged

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
Oh yeah, I have a shut down at a plant in Farmington MO over the 4th.  This is 10 min south of St. Joe State Park.  Has anyone been there before?  I will have just enough room for my car on the back of the flatbed I am hauling down there.  SOOOO, after the shutdown, i'm gonna have a little fun. 

Anyone been there?  Tips?  Will I need some sort of ORV sticker or a flag?

Justin

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
really cool to see your project going from a concept to fruition . You should feel a real sense of accomplishment!  dd:  I've not been to St.Joe but from what I've been told you should have a great time there with a buggy of your size. Please post some pics,your impressions of the place and maybe a vid.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 05:19:20 AM »
That's where the redline revolt guys play,  Hopfully he'll chime in w tips........
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline deranged

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2017, 05:11:42 AM »
I will definitely give a report. From what I gather i don't need a flag like at silver lake, but I will bring it just in case. 

ALSO, there is an event on July 8th at Valley Motocross track in Stanton Michigan with the Dirt Alliance guys, and I was invited to run there!  They are having a hard time finding SXS's with actual cages, fire extinguishers, and 5 pt harnesses to run there.  Well, i'm all over that. 

Justin

Offline deranged

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2017, 05:29:14 AM »
Well, now that the AR-51 is up and fully operational I will start posting pics and videos here!

I loaded up the ole girl on my work trailer as we were doing a job down in Farmington MO which is 10 min from st Joe state park. That was a lot of fun. This car on the trails is a riot! Nimble, and very controllable with a little throttle application. The 750 does really nice in the trails. It seems to like it between 6, and 10k RPM. The ambient air temp was maybe 90, and the car ran at 190, and touching on 200 when I was really hammering down. Unfortunately I didn't have the gopro with me. I did get it up to 70 on the flats with another gear to go. When I hit some wet sand, it dug in, and you really could feel it lurch forward.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2017, 05:47:32 AM »
Always great to hear of a satisfied builder!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
sandracer1 runs that park....wonder where he went off too
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
nice work btw.......what the sprocet ratio,

Offline deranged

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
Thanks fellas! 
I actually found out that a GSXR 1000 countershaft sprocket is splined the same as the 750.  So I have a 13 tooth in the front and the rear is a 60 tooth.  The tires are 28" tall. 
Justin

Offline deranged

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
BUT WAIT!  THERE'S MOAR!

Well, a couple weeks ago I was FINALLY able to head up to Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Literally 1 hour and 15 min from by driveway. I haven't finished my wheel adapters for my beadlocks so I mounted the paddles onto my normal wheels. This thing looks KILLER with paddles, and ribs up front!! I really wasn't nervous at all hitting the dunes either. The test drives before have proves this car out. Lot's of people were checking it out and wondering who makes them. LOL I think I may have increased Ricks web site traffic. I had the rears aired down to 7 psi, and the front at 9 psi and the paddles work awesome!! Once I get the beadlocks on I will go a little lower on the pressure as I get a fair amount of wheel spin in the dry sand. If the sand is wet, I could actually go up in PSI as it bogs down a little unless i'm really up in the RPM. I actually hit a nice roller and wheelied off the back of it!!! The feeling of that rivaled the first time having sex!!! HAHAHAA!!

The 750 pulls really nice in the sand. This car is SO much more fun than my old Rorty car. That car just needed an enfine with more torque, bypasses, and suspension seats. Oh yeah, if you are building a car definitely go with a suspension seat! I could lounge in the car all day long! I ordered up a set of shims one step lighter, and a flutter stack to take out some of the chop.

Going over the woops felt good, but choppy. But the harder I hit a certain section, the car seemed to hit the tops and smoothed out some. When I let off the gas, that is when the back would pogo a little. Still needs to be softer to get my adjusters more in the middle of the compression adjustment. Hitting some small jumps, the car actually didn't nose dive! In fact the front landed after the rear wheels. I think my rebound may actually be set up right!
I added a heat shield to the heat shield too.  I used this stuff called Boom-Mat.  It has a thin aluminum shell, some insulation and some really sticky stuff too.  It also kinda keeps some small vibrations down from the aluminum panel.

Some action shots!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »
very nice looking color! sort of matches your truck too. must be balanced very well to be landing rear first as a mid engine! 4.62 ?1 ratio with 28" paddles is a pretty good combo. i used to run the 4.92 ration on the blaster 26 paddle in 800 to 850 lb rails with 1000 cc engines. with the 1100 paddles you'd want to be closer to the 5.25/1 or deeper. that 750 prob has a little more tq closer to idle than the 4 cyl 1000's but they all like rpm. are you running an oil cooler? if not looks like there's room for an 8" fan behind the seat.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:10:58 PM by dsrace »

Offline deranged

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2017, 05:29:31 AM »
I have an oil cooler that actually mounts in front of the radiator, but I took it out for more air flow to the radiator.  I may remote mount it with a fan.  It wouldn't hurt to do that at all.  Yeah, I drive it like a 2 stroke dirt bike.  LOL.

Right now I'm dealing with a possible fuel issue.  It falls on it's face on WOT.  I have a couple areas to look at. 
1, My fuel neck gasket was the wrong material, so there may be some junk in the screen.
2, I will find the dealer plug, jump the 2 wires needed to see any codes on the dash.  The most common one is the secondary TPS.  The main TPS and the secondary TPS are adjustable for some odd reason so if it either one is out of adjustment it will have a condition just as i'm experiencing.  I have the shocks off to re valve, the tank almost out, a trailer to build, a camper to get ready for vacation, just fixed a jeep frame from the Michigan rust.  So yeah, there just ins't enough hours in a day.  Maybe I should do some coke and just stay up for a week to get everything done.  HAA!
Justin

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2017, 06:00:19 AM »
TPS adjustable set by voltage?  Wonder if ya running outta fuel, from pump or clogged filter.  CAr looks great, always a few bugs to work out.  Does that motor have secondary inj in air box?  I have ran a Bazzaz FI control with auto tune last two engines.  Reads afr thru wideband O2 sensor, and will data log thru rpm/gear.  And adjust fuel map with laptop.  Also will read TPS voltage.  Very slick, easy to use and really wakes up engine, smoothes acceleration.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal