Author Topic: buggy with subaru diff  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Baloo

buggy with subaru diff
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

hi
 some where on here ( or it may have been mbn ) is a thread about a buggy that uses a subaru diff with a mc engine, l have just spent hours looking for it again but cant find it, can anyone point me at it again as l would like to disscuss whether it would be  a suitable way of repowering my tripple e using the engine out of my quad

andy

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: buggy with subaru diff
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:14:41 PM »
busasandrail on MBN maybe?

Subaru STI dif...

That's according to his sig anyway..... ;)
Haven't run across any threads on it.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Baloo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »
thanks Enemy
                 it was on mbn but it wasent busasandrail it was http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-off-your-toys-here/9796-750-virago-buggy.html
thats what l was thinking about doing, well the idea anyway, l think l better go and take some pics of my engine bay and the quad engine, post the pics and then ask questions after

Andy 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
There is also a fellow who put a Subee diff into the bottom of his Honda Pilot and fed a (I think) it was a 800cc sled motor turned sideways into it.  You can find him on other sites including Youtube. Look for "800cc pilot" and I think "modified Pilot".

The Diff's are tough enough no doubt but add a lil bit of weight and drag.

A quad motor might be a bit weak feeling with the extra weight and all. What quad motor are you thinking about using? 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »
hi nutz
         l have just been looking in the meet and greet section lee has a 800cc pilot with a subie diff, and what amazing condidering you and  me are 8000 miles apart is that lee is only 30 miles up the road from me here in the uk, small world huh, l think l will have to visit him

the spare quad l have that l was thinking about whipping the engine out is a suzuki 500cc 2/4 wheel drive with hi and low box, it certainly goes ok when l ride it and the tripple e dosent look to much heavier ? l supose l could sell the quad and buy a bike engine but then l wont have a reverse ?
 do you think a 500 cc single cylinder will pull the buggy ?

andy

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »

Admin

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
hi nutz
         l have just been looking in the meet and greet section lee has a 800cc pilot with a subie diff, and what amazing condidering you and  me are 8000 miles apart is that lee is only 30 miles up the road from me here in the uk, small world huh, l think l will have to visit him

the spare quad l have that l was thinking about whipping the engine out is a suzuki 500cc 2/4 wheel drive with hi and low box, it certainly goes ok when l ride it and the tripple e dosent look to much heavier ? l supose l could sell the quad and buy a bike engine but then l wont have a reverse ?
 do you think a 500 cc single cylinder will pull the buggy ?

andy

I bet it would pull it decent, doubt if youll win all the drag races with it tho... ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
I agree the 500 will move it ok. Do you do a lot of hill climbing??

I guess MY biggest quam would be tearing apart a good quad.

I dunno if sleds are common around there but a medim size sled with reverse might be found on the cheap?

Yah you could sell the Quad to buy a bike motor but as you said no reverse unless you pony up some money for something or get to "homebrewing" a reverse. 

Sleds aint selling for squat here in the states unless they only a couple years old.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »
this is what your looking for.

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/9656-best-build-world-tribute.html

thanks Yoshi
               l think that if l am only using a 500cc single cylinder engine then all its power is going to be used up driving  the subaru gearbox with nothing left over to propel the buggy  :)
 l  like the idea of the subaru gearbox but would probally want a subaru engine as well but still mounted at the rear with the back of the seat up against the front of the engine then the gearbox but l would go auto to save the hassel of making a manual gear change
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:22:43 AM by Baloo »

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »
thanks Yoshi
               l think that if l am only using a 500cc single cylinder engine then all its power is going to be used up driving in the subaru gearbox with nothing left over to propel the buggy  :)
 l  like the idea of the subaru gearbox but would probally want a subaru engine as well but still mounted at the rear with the back of the seat up against the front of the engine then the gearbox but l would go auto to save the hassel of making a manual gear change
hmmm,.very interesting perdickerment, I say get a bigger motor, but that's just me, lol... ;D

Offline Baloo

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
I agree the 500 will move it ok. Do you do a lot of hill climbing??

I guess MY biggest quam would be tearing apart a good quad.

I dunno if sleds are common around there but a medim size sled with reverse might be found on the cheap?

Yah you could sell the Quad to buy a bike motor but as you said no reverse unless you pony up some money for something or get to "homebrewing" a reverse. 

Sleds aint selling for squat here in the states unless they only a couple years old.
yes hacking up a perfectly good quad is a bit of a hurdle to over come, but quads arnt selling here in fact nothings selling right now, the quad became redundant when l bought my polaris quad 2 years ago, since then its been sitting in the back yard doing nothing so its not like its going to be missed
no hills round here so we dont need loads of power, like half the people in the world at  moment work is very slack which  gives me time to work on some of my projects, it also make me reluctant to spend money as well so using the quad engine fits the bill there,
the tripple e came to me with no engine but the previous owner claims it had a 2 stroke 500cc skidoo engine not that l would know a skidoo engine if it bit me, it also had a forward and reverse box that was jammed and dident work,

some time later l bought a twin cylinder briggs and stratton engine to fit into my argo cat   with it came some more gearboxes

so l have a quad engine and box that wouldent require a fnr type box, or l could use a fnr type box and try and find a motor bike engine but that involves spending money

heres the quad

not a bad old thing but l have no use for it anymore, its the shaft drive that makes it awkward but seeing that other thread about the subaru diff    made me start thinking about it again, the quad engine also has the benifit of a hi and low range that might be usefull on a buggy ? 

andy     

Offline Baloo

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »
can anyone tell me if this is any use ? is it just a toy or will it handle a 600cc bike engine, can get the numbers off it if that helps

thanks Andy

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »
I would be leary of it handling a 600cc sled motor with a soft hitting CVT. Toss in the torque of a four stroke bike motor and a clutch dump and I am betting it does not like it one bit.

Those were put behind 45-65 horse sled engines in the triple EEE's More than that you best not drag race it nor hit whoops with the throttle on nor land off jumps under power etc.  It was never made to live with todays powerplants.

The common motor in front of these was a Cuyna 400 and 440 (JLO??) twin fan cooled. A good motor. But not a reallllly mean one.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:08:03 AM by Nutz4sand »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
ok seems the fnr box wont last with this 600 mc engine l have

so how about not having a reverse  :o on the face of it it seems a bad idea ? but we dont have woodland trails or other tight tracks around here, the place l think l will use it most is a big open field with plenty of run off,
for the amount of times  reverse  will be required can l make one up with either a starter motor and ring or belt( cam?)  what do you think is it a mistake not to have reverse  ? l am thinking about selling the quad and using the money to rebuild this buggy
 will cooling be an issue since its air cooled and will be tucked away behind the seat, mind you this is england its cold in the summer  ;D

andy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:18:47 AM by Baloo »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
Not having reverse is a little pain. The only place I do not think reverse is needed is sand but thats with conditions that you have the smarts to turn around before you bury it climbing a hill or at least let off and coast back down without digging holes. It also requires you to know where to park a buggy on the hill top that it will take off without burying it. I see this happen a lot and if you have no reverse its time to get out and push.

Even in sand its nice. You may park in a good spot but some doofus always has to box you in in front it seems.

You might try some net searches to see if anyone else has used that gearbox with sucess behind a bigger motor. Driving style will play the biggest part in keeping it alive. If your Lead Foot Louie it won't!

Its a shame you cannot find a 440cc to 500 cc twin sled motor. The belt parts already there and it would not be to much to get it hooked up.
Same goes for a good Polaris Scrambler or trailblaer 400cc single. It would do OK in that if the gearing was right. Plus the pipe would likely be easier to deal with?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal