Author Topic: electric power steering diy  (Read 5690 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
electric power steering diy
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
well i was discussing this with a customer with one of my front end kits. he added this to it and loves it. had about the same things to say about it as fabbr has about his.   i started looking into it and bought the parts today to try it. i'm into all the parts at this point for $175 with controller from ebay. $100 for the whole steering column out of an 2005 saturn vue. i saw this same set up offered on gd.com as well but for $475 and $500. here is a you tube video to give you an idea and a link to ebay for the controller. this was the interesting statement......."Unisteer uses EPS made by Koyo. Ironically, so does Saturn."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171027023129?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: electric power steering diy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »
this is a good video too.
if you want to try this then you need 1 out of 1 of these and it needs to have the silver metal electric box not the black plastic one.

Saturn Vue - from 2002 to 2007
Chevrolet Equinox - from 2005 to 2007
Pontiac Torrent
Saturn Ion - from 2003 to 2006  -  only in steering column with metal ECU case

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:57:30 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:32 AM »
This is interesting.  I have ES on my new car but I don't have any thing to adjust.  No pot switch nothing.  I have a little red LED light that comes on when I turn the ignition on.  I do have a problem with it sometimes not coming on when I start the car.  I noticed it first time in Idaho when I first drove the car.  One time I had started the car and started back from Choke Cherry and thought that the steering was a little firm from before.  I stopped and turned the car off and back on and all was ok.  It has done this now about once a trip.  Someone on Glamis.com told me to adjust the little switch pot thing'ie on the steering. Im like I ain't got no stinking thing'ie.  So what you thinking it mite be? Not a big problem but still there. The unit has a sticker on it that says it's some kind of box for and ATV. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:21:56 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
This is interesting.  I have ES on my new car but I don't have any thing to adjust.  No pot switch nothing.  I have a little red LED light that comes on when I turn the ignition on.  I do have a problem with it sometimes not coming on when I start the car.  I noticed it first time in Idaho when I first drove the car.  One time I had started the car and started back from Choke Cherry and thought that the steering was a little firm from before.  I stopped and turned the car off and back on and all was ok.  It has done this now about once a trip.  Someone on Glamis.com told me to adjust the little switch pot thing'ie on the steering. Im like I ain't got no stinking thing'ie.  So what you thinking it mite be? Not a big problem but still there. The unit has a sticker on it that says it's some kind of box for and ATV. 

Find the power wire.  Put a pushbutton switch interrupt on it.  You won't have to shut off the car.  Not that it's truly a fix for it but you won't have to stop driving to fix it.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
Find the power wire.  Put a pushbutton switch interrupt on it.  You won't have to shut off the car.  Not that it's truly a fix for it but you won't have to stop driving to fix it.

Didn't think about that.  Mite work.  Thanks Lance.

What's you doing between Xmas and New Years Lance?  You need to come on down to Yuma a spend some time whit us. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »
The unisteer spline is a bastard size that only unisteer uses on the original atv units like mine and probably fasts unit. Our units are not adjustable. Might be same as the saturn but there is no one making the UJ ,not even Sweet SFAIK. I HAD to get my replacement uj from unisteer. There is one that FEELS like it is a match but is NOT. I have had ZERO issues with it other than the inflated price. From what I have been reading the saturn option is a very good one.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
fabbr do you know what kind of amp draw at full load yours uses? i will have to check the vue once i get it done.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
No idea.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »
Check your ground on that unit ,fast.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 05:04:47 AM »
Check your ground on that unit ,fast.

Been there. That was the first thing I did after the discussion on Glamis. The unit was grounded at the batt.  Both ground and power.  fuzed also.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
if you have a relay turning it on  and off then maybe? it's getting weak and unable to hold the switch ?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
The unisteer units sometimes have a short delay "booting up" for lack of a better term. It may take 5 seconds or so to activate. Most of the time it is almost instantaneous. They will also shut down if overheating and return to operation automatically when sufficiently cooled. I've never had mine shut down thermally or for any other reason. Going on about 4 years now. The only thing bad about this way of adding PS is that the rack and pinion will wear out very quickly.It also adds a lot of stress/wear to the uj between it and the rack/pinion. BTW,I would never consider any small/mid size or larger buggy without PS . Period.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
Well damn, now I got to add this to the list!!!!!!! kick

Keeping up with "jones" you know.  LMAO LMAO LMAO

Seriously thought about it for the Mustang project for daughter.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »
carl    the vue unit would be a very good match for the mustang

fabbr  when a door motor starts to shut down via the thermal switch ( so to speak) from overheating they usually don't last much longer. the older fords had about 2 steps down the size of motor this vue does attached to there windows!! lol    those had re-build kits available but i doubt the vue model does. no the view model says koyo right on it so i called the manuf yesterday to ask just that and finally go to an engineer then told me he just didn't know and couldn't find it anyway because they buy all the parts from mitsibishi in japan and asseble them then ship out. so even though the say koyo they are actually mitsibishi.  i have enough room to mount mine inline with the rack so i won't need a u joint from the motor to the rack. if i mount it this way i can take the stock shaft out of the column and it is long enought to make 2-   3" long sleeves that i can use for a straight shaft connector. then i will only have the 2 joints up top ahead of it. i have glenns rack snuggy so i can monitor the wear there.   but all have said one thing that is why i decided to........it takes or greatly ease's the chop in the steering wheel in the rough chop from tire ruuts and such!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
You'll never go back to manual.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal