Author Topic: bike engine in fl350/400  (Read 1754 times)

awdroket

bike engine in fl350/400
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
Anyone ever put a bike engine in a honda fl 350/400? I've seen plenty of sled motor swaps but cannot find any bike motor swaps. Anyone have any experience/info with this?

Thanks!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: bike engine in fl350/400
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
Welcome to the site. I'm SURE someone has but can't point you in the right direction. Anyone able to comment?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »
If you look at a Pilot or a Fl350 the tranny of the stock machine is right behind the motor.

Most bike engines tranny sticks back behind the cylinders a good bit. Nearly ANY bike motor will interfere with the stock tranny on either machine.

This makes for little to no room to mount a spool to where it can feed power to the stock trailing arms of the fl350 or the A-arm setup of the pilot.

I have seen a FL350 with a 600cc street bike engine in it but the ENTIRE rear end has to be revamped. There was a spool out back but it was extended quite a bit to do this. The front was redone as well for suspension and brakes.   

The tranny of a fl350 will not handle a lot of power and shifting gears if thats a thought. The Pilot tranny has a slipper built in that will help it last longer.

But by the time you do all the mods you will also need to upgrade the front suspension and the brakes.

Might consider a Girard frame first. IMO it would be easier and far better in the end and LIKELY less work.

http://prosandminirailframes.homestead.com/
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

awdroket

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess what I'm looking for them is a complete mini buggy minus the engine. Do you guys know of any good classified sites where I could find one? I've been looking all over for the last few days with little luck.

I gotta say there is some serious talent on this board, hopefully someday I'll be able to take a crack at building one from scratch but not just yet.

Thanks

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
pm doug heim.ask about a roller. you can't go wrong with that route if the budget allows.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »
If you still want to tinker with a pilot, I've got a bare frame I'm getting tired of lookin at.  You'd have to come get it, but a $20 bill or two would buy it....
This post has been edited due to content.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal