Author Topic: DEAD PILOT  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Baloo

DEAD PILOT
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »
 When l last  used the pilot l had a problem right at the end of the day, the last time l started it it was very tight and turned over slowly, a bit like the battery was flat, but l dont think it was, any way l just put it in the van and took it home, l pushed it out of the van and into the workshop and have only just got round to looking at it as l want to take it out this week end  ::)

still very tight on the starter and the hand start is almost impossible to pull
where do l start ?   l guess it cant be the axle/diff as the belt drive is disconnected when its staitionary so it has to be rings in the cylinder or the balance shaft thingy tight in its bearings ?
what do l try first,  remove the barrel and see if it turns over on the hand pull ?  that should tell me where the problem is  ?   

anymore more suggestions welcome  ( about the pilot that is )

Andy

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: DEAD PILOT
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
I'd say you were on the right track. Report back.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
Can you spin it over with your hands on the clutch? It should spin somewhat freely when the piston is near the bottom of the cylinder. Pull the plug too. See if that makes a differance or lets you hear sounds that might tell a story.

If its dragging when you do that time to pull it apart.

Also you can pop the pipe off pretty easy and look up in there to see the condition.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
Great tip on pulling the pipe so you can see the rings and piston .You could also pull the intake and do the same.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
If that hard to pull over by hand, I'm sure internal engine work is needed. I would just pull the jug and check it out. If it still turns over hard, then the bottom end will need rebuilding as well.

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
It seems to be the season for dead pilots. Baz has some experience of internals now although his has a different setup... good luck mate doesnt sound good. Hope its a simple one.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:08:30 PM »
gotta pull the pipe anyway.Might as well take a look first. I agree tho that you're probably quite right.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:07:42 PM »
Rod Bearings are done.  I would however start by removing the belt to be sure it's in the motor.  (It's gonna have to come off anyway if it's the motor)

I had an old kawasaki do that, then I messed with it a while and if got loosened up, started and ran about 100 ft. then it was extra done.

Sorry to hear it Baloo.

LiveWire

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »
I've got a brand new complete crank or can rebuild the one in it now.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 02:25:46 PM »
hello guys
   thanks for all the  suggestions/pointers,  l have found time to have a look at the engine,  l think its the bottom end  :(    l  removed the exhaust and had a look in and all looked ok so l removed the barrel,  the bore looks fine no marks in it at all, the piston looks ok and it moves ok on it bearings,  but its still very tight on the pull start,  looking down inside the crank case l can see little bits of metal lying in the bottom  :( :(  so l have no choice but to remove the rest of the engine from the pilot and strip it down,
l will post up some pics of what l find

LiveWire, where in the world are you ?

thanks Andy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:27:22 PM by Baloo »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »
He is in Michigan, and he provides good service from what I have recieved.

http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/

Take a look, its Pilot central.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
Does the bottom rod bearing flop easy? Just the crank does not want to spin? I have heard of the clutch side bearing having issues as its a single bearing with the full clutch load but thats usually on built machines.

Before you go any farther I would pop the pull start off and see if that tells you anything. Try shaking the crank on that side and the clutch side. The metal suggests the bearings failed though.

Are you gonna do the work yorself Baloo? Or send it to someone? The Pilot flywheel needs a puller to get it off (Its the same puller as Suzuki lt250 quadracers use) 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:16:03 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »

bootom rod bearing seems fine, l really dont know yet what has given up,
not sure if l am going to do the work myself or not, l have been talking to Lee and it seems he has a puller for the flywheel and quite a few pilot spares and is willing to help out,
one option we have disscussed is to swap the engine over with a spare he has ( that came off one of you guys l think ) so as l can carry on using the pilot while we rebiuld my engine,
will post some pics of the damage when we get it apart

Andy

Offline Baloo

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »
woo hoo  it lives again  ;D
Lee has helped me out a bunch here, the crank beraing on the clutch side was just starting to break up, Lee has a puller and l dont so l went up to see him and ended up leaving the pilot with him,  not only has he put a new bearing in for me he has put it all back together, top bloke,
going to have both the pilots out shortly  ;D ;D

SPEC

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
That's good to hear ;D
More vids...
MORE VIDS 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal