Author Topic: ATV tracks  (Read 14363 times)

Offline Wyattboche

ATV tracks
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:48 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has built a homemade set for there atv? I was looking into about a year or so ago. I was going to use snowmobile tracks,but couldn't fiqure out how to set it up on a 4x4 atv. Want peoples opions.

Offline Wyattboche

Re: ATV tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
well I started on my ATV tracks yesterday. Now I just need to buy some snowmobile tracks short enough. Anyone know where I can find short snowmobile tracks cheap?Is it possible to shorting the tracks up?

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
there was a guy with a 4WD quad fitted with tracks at silver Lake on my last trip. I was suprised to see him struggle driving through the sand. Seems that the tracks really robbed alot of the quad's power and the sand really bogged it down. He barley made it up Test Hill which is relativly small now a days. Those duned have changes so much since my first visit 2 years ago.

Didnt meant to shoot your idea down. I for one would love to see the custom fit and it may be very different in snow. Great for getting through stuff slow but if its high speed you want then maybe building a ripsaw would be the way to go  8)

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »
there was a guy with a 4WD quad fitted with tracks at silver Lake on my last trip. I was suprised to see him struggle driving through the sand. Seems that the tracks really robbed alot of the quad's power and the sand really bogged it down. He barley made it up Test Hill which is relativly small now a days. Those duned have changes so much since my first visit 2 years ago.

Didnt meant to shoot your idea down. I for one would love to see the custom fit and it may be very different in snow. Great for getting through stuff slow but if its high speed you want then maybe building a ripsaw would be the way to go  8)
I think the ATV forum said 25% power loss. I was looking more for mud. But maybe it isn't worth it.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:49 PM »
I still say go for it. Dont let me cut it down as that was not my intentions my friend. Just trying to add in what I have seen first hand.

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
Awesome.  I love the work.  I wanted to do something simular with a single track on the back of an ATV.   something like this, but keeping the front wheels.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:53:37 PM by cleppla »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »

Same here .We had one of our group come down from up North with his tracked quad.Said it would go anywhere and it WOULD except for the sand.pretty much helpless in anything other than mud or snow. But in mud or snow  you better get out of it's way!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
Hell yeah go for it since you want it for mud!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:36:55 PM »
Hell yeah go for it since you want it for mud!
mud and snow. Since I dont have a snowmobile.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
Same here .We had one of our group come down from up North with his tracked quad.Said it would go anywhere and it WOULD except for the sand.pretty much helpless in anything other than mud or snow. But in mud or snow  you better get out of it's way!
Wonder why not sand? You would think with the foot print of the tracks it would be fine. Or is it the opposite??

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »
Dunno,but it wouldn't climb worth a crap even on easy stuff. On the flats and rollers it was fine.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

chrishallett83

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:13:49 PM »
Also the sheer extra weight straining the motor? 4 quad wheels and tyres weighs how much? About the same as one of those tracked units?

What kind of "finished" weight are you aiming for with these?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
I cannot remember where I saw it (I am pretty sure it was a Durt whuls (Dirt Wheels) or 3 and 4 wheel action magazine but a company used to make a track for a four by four quad.

The quad KEPT its tires in place and the track went underneath in the middle just like a sled and it even had a single ski on the front that steered between the tires.

On hardpack it rode on the tires but when it got soft and sunk in the track and tires worked together to push it along. Only saw it once though in that mag. I kept most all of those mags to (cept the ones friends stole... heh)  Should see if I can find it and scan it in. (Never used my scanner afore.)  I guess it was too much loot or not succesful but the concept was decent enough.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »
Also the sheer extra weight straining the motor? 4 quad wheels and tyres weighs how much? About the same as one of those tracked units?

What kind of "finished" weight are you aiming for with these?

That was my first attempt. Going to make them out of aluminium when all moch up is done. Trying to incomporate a fox coil over shock into the track sytem to give a little bit of give when going over obsticals. Not shure how I'm going to do that just yet. shure you could go out and buy a set from the aftermarket tracks for $3500- $4,000. Plus I can't say I built it.

Islander

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
I was wondering about tracks a while back for buggies, and actually started a thread on MBN.  I was pretty much shot down, I'm glad that there is help being offered instead of the "you can't do that" opinions on the other site.   

What type of length are you looking for?  Would a track from a kids sled work?  (Artic Cat Kitty Kat for example)   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal