Author Topic: Steering wheel size  (Read 2936 times)

Bug

Steering wheel size
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
Hey guys, suggested by Bugpac and pictured below is the rack I plan to use. The wife bought me a 13 1/2"  steering wheel today. I was considering using an 11 1/2" steering wheel.

With the rack shown here, in a 500- pound or under mini buggy and using quad a-arms, spindles and front hubs, will the smaller wheel work well or fight me when turning.     I like the feel of the smaller wheel but understand the larger wheel will make it easier to turn. What I don't know is how all this equipment will get along together.

11 1/2 or 13 1/2  wheel using parts stated above and this rack, Please chime in fella's. Thanks, AL

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Steering wheel size
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »
light buggy will be fine with smaller one.I prefer larger tho myself.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trojan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
It will depend on a number of things: steering arm length, rack ratio, wheel diameter, scrub radius, king pin inclination, caster and even tyre pressure.

The easiest thing to do is suck it and see. you already have the 13.5, it's a start.
I use an 11.5 and love it ;)

Munga

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »
My major factor is unfortunately leg room - I went down a couple of sizes so I don't smash my knees on the rails - I like the larger wheels but my 6'4" body complains

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »
THe reality is that it's a personal preference thing. I don't see how anyone would want a little dinky 9" or so wheel  but I see a lot of them used on much larger cars.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Rick S.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
The biggest thing you need to consider is rack travel vs. turns of the steering wheel. 
The tire size and other items play a roll, but the travel ratio will mostly determine the effort required IMO.  Fast racks (1 turn or less lock to lock) will require a larger steering wheel.
1 1/2 turns lock to lock will be fine with a 11 1/2" steerring wheel on the buggy you're building.  If your rack is 1 turn or less you might consider a larger steering wheel.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:42:02 AM »
Hey guys, suggested by Bugpac and pictured below is the rack I plan to use. The wife bought me a 13 1/2"  steering wheel today. I was considering using an 11 1/2" steering wheel.

With the rack shown here, in a 500- pound or under mini buggy and using quad a-arms, spindles and front hubs, will the smaller wheel work well or fight me when turning.     I like the feel of the smaller wheel but understand the larger wheel will make it easier to turn. What I don't know is how all this equipment will get along together.

11 1/2 or 13 1/2  wheel using parts stated above and this rack, Please chime in fella's. Thanks, AL

AL

I have the same rack on my car 1900 LB's with 10* spindle inclination 1.5 turns lock to lock.  I use a 11 inch steering wheel. 6.80x15 apex tires. I would not want anything less. But works out nice.  With my driving style I use one hand to steer and the other to shift. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 08:57:23 AM »
ok just my personal experiance with my rails, I have used the 11.5 wheel on all my mini's weighing around 850 lbs with that same endload r&p you have picured above. with 28" tall front tires have had no problems steering one handed through  the dunes. I now have approx a 1600 + lb ( haven't weighed it yet ) v-6 powered rail and I am running the same 28" tall tire but with an 1" wider front rim with that 11.5 steering wheel and I can still run the dunes 1 handed ( for the most part ) but I have noticed that the soft sand will grab the wheel pretty good now and again, so I will be changing it out to the larger one before my next trip.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
I drove DS's car and it was the easiest steering car I ever drove.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:38 PM »
Small enough to steer with handcuffs on?

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:48:41 PM »
Now why would I be wearing handcuffs  ::) :o

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
That was me last year. ::) Sorry arse bastards. :police: Like the town would even still exist if not for us duners. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
I will say that Wood County lockup did have a nice new coat of paint and if you're nice to the jailers they are very helpful.  :e dd: :m.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »
Fabr.....
unless you got tossed since last time that was 3 years ago :-*

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Nope,still on 16 months proby. It's done in a month or 2 tho. It was Memorial Day before last. The commie bastards! LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal