Author Topic: 3 link a arm suspension application. One more time.  (Read 8628 times)

trojan

Re: 3 link a arm suspension application. One more time.
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
Camel, your mounting point seems distinctly different from the one shown earlier, got any ideas or guesses why that is?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Fab:

Will actually define the "spot", and it'll read like "For all values of X, such that theta is less than C and greater than B, blah blah bla...." Like Eng said, it's not easy but it is doable ;)
;D NOW , I can agree with everyone! ;D   It was great fun debating this the last time.The "spot" is a closely spaced group of points in space. I don't see why some have such a hard time grasping this concept when it seems like we all understand bumpsteer. It's the SAME thing when it comes to how this works.
 This is WAY off topic but Dougs car held it's own against fastcorvairs and enemy's car in the ridge running. Sorry,it just came to mind since we're talking about doug and ricks design.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 05:04:24 PM »
Will actually define the "spot", and it'll read like "For all values of X, such that theta is less than C and greater than B, blah blah bla...." Like Eng said, it's not easy but it is doable ;)

That almost sounds like Trojan is agreeing with me......

Hey Camel, How did you make that video?  Is it like my Avatar with a few more points?

You would have to consult Yummi to get the complex MS paint Equation that made that one work!  ;D

Camel

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
Camel, your mounting point seems distinctly different from the one shown earlier, got any ideas or guesses why that is?

Trojan,

There isn't a mounting point shown in the earlier image.  Those crosses were guesstimates of the cv pivot points (which I felt wasn't applicable to the intent of producing this image).

Here's a layered shot.  Yes, I know that's the arse-end view of the PIRCV housing.  In this instance pretend it's the front.  It doesn't matter, the pivot points are all the same.

Engineer,  yup, I think you're right!  But with Photoshop.  There's a few tricks in that beastie.  Not the best for designing buggies though, too much hard work.

Camel

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »
Ugh....  Hard work eh?  ;D

So the blue magenta and orange arc's (circle's) center points are the inner mount points?

I take it you rotate the outer carrier on those radiuses as you showed earlier.

Have you checked the maximum deviation of the magenta circle from the mounting point on the outer carrier?

It seems like it may be off at the bottom of the travel, depending on how much camber there is.  It would seem to me that the inner magenta pivot would need to be a bit further outboard to make up for the attach point on the carrier being outboard of the two A-arm attach points.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2009, 05:37:36 AM »
Ugh....  Hard work eh?  ;D

So the blue magenta and orange arc's (circle's) center points are the inner mount points?

I take it you rotate the outer carrier on those radiuses as you showed earlier.

Have you checked the maximum deviation of the magenta circle from the mounting point on the outer carrier?

It seems like it may be off at the bottom of the travel, depending on how much camber there is.  It would seem to me that the inner magenta pivot would need to be a bit further outboard to make up for the attach point on the carrier being outboard of the two A-arm attach points.

I agree as thats how it is on my Cuda. Im not in the same X axis as the arm mounts on the housing.

Camel

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
Engineer,

correct on the arcs,

The strut's inner mount is about one poofteenth to the right ???

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »
If you give me the dimensions of the inner, outer, and arm lengths, I could tell you where it should be, and how sweet the spot is.

I have to do the same thing this weekend for my build, except I am solving for the axle in order to get as close to zero plunge as possible for non-plunging CV's.

Camel

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
The arm lengths in the image supplied are standard barracuda.  Mine will be a bit different.

If I survive tomorrow's flight out of here (on an uncertified russian Mi-8 'Hip' helicopter) and make it past the throbbing crowds in Bangkok, I'll dig up the specs for mine once I get home.

tone

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2009, 06:47:12 AM »
hi

what is the plunge and maximum angle of the edge cvs

and does anyone know the diameter , plunge and max angle of a VW BUS TYPE II cv

thanks

Camel

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
what is the plunge and maximum angle of the edge cvs

Hey brother!

I wondered where you were at!

Pop around, I've got a couple you can borrow to measure up.  I'll be back tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Camel

tone

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
hi camel

how long will you be back for
are you going to be working on your buggy

cheers

Camel

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 07:33:48 AM »
Tone, back for another 16 days.  Yeah, started tonight.  Gonna get me some of that 28mm 4130 tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal