Author Topic: 3 link a arm suspension application. One more time.  (Read 8627 times)

bloody knuckles

3 link a arm suspension application. One more time.
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »
 I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but i would like clarification. The other Topic pages get confusing :-\
How do i make that weird 3 link set up that most people think is impossible. I think it is a must, if it works of course. I like pictures, Is there a schematic or can someone draw me a picture.(engineer?)  Whats the benefits? any draw backs? Can it work on my piranha? Does it work on front a arms? Will it work on single a arm setup? Thanks a bunch
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:13:04 PM by bloody knuckles »

Admin

Re: 3 link a arm suspension application. One more time.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
3 link is rear, it is not a arms, it is a semi trailing arm with two lateral "I think is the term" links...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:12:57 PM »
This is a 3 link, and a very tidy one at that.  I believe knuckles ;D is interested in Rick's design.
This post has been edited due to content.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »
Looks good, key to a 3 link is to have the lateral links sweep, Not altering toe as much tho...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »
Great picture Boostin!  That is a rear 3-link in a nutshell.

Are you refering to Rick's additional link on the Piranha?  I think it would work fine as long as you get the attach points right where he says to.  ;D

I think the point of the third link on his design is to strengthen the rear end for impacts.  I don't think you would need it on the front. as the A-arm mount points are plenty wide.  On the rear it should take some of the load off of the pivots.  However, if you can advoid trees and other stationary objects, you may not need it.  :o

Were you planning to run mainly trails or sand?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:33:39 PM »
I guess we need to ask Rick.  I don't know if he is sharing the plans for that or not.  PM him.  He would probably sell you a kit with all the mounts required.  And while he's shipping something get him to waterjet all the plate for the Piranaha.  Parts that drop in place are so worth it.  ;D

Rick S.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
All you would need from me are the lasers for the forward ends of the links, and the tabs that weld to the uprights. I would give you a drawing that shows where everything goes. The links are just 7/8 od 5/8 id DOM tubing, with 5/8-18 LH & RH threaded rods welded into the ends. Heims are 5/8 RH & LH (female) No need for expensive ones here either, just economy rod ends. You will find your outer a arm bushings getting sloppy if you don't run these links.
I just had a guy call me today that wants a set. He already has them on one of his Piranhas and says they are a must. You'll probably want to go with cv's on the rear also. 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
What don't you understand about it? Telling us that will help explain it better.

The forward rod takes a lot of "side load" off the rear A-arms.

It follows a cone shaped path thus it does not bind.
Imagine a orange traffic cone with the skinny top part near the frame mount and the wide round part near the rear carrier where it connects. Thats what helped me understand it.

Heres the pic on this thread for claification .
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »
The pic I posted is not mine.  It just illustrates what a nice clean 3-link looks like and I have grown fond of it.  At one point it was my desktop backround. ;D
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
I actually have a set of the forward mounts on my peg board im willing to part with.

I dont build the Piranha anymore except for the rear drive components so I have no need for them. The 3rd link is a huge improvment! I have been told by some that it is nothing more than a cosmetic part. Yeah thats right... just for looks  :o.

Rick first talked to me about this link on the phone $hit, what Rick? like 3 years ago? I built it into my Piranha and never looked back! Sice then I have adapted the same concept into the Baracuda and I will use it in any build for myself or where customers want it. I am a big fan of it!

Here it is in some of my work and a video as well.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »
Here it is on the Cuda...

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
Sorry for all the seperate posts guys... It takes me awhile to locate all these links...

trojan

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 01:04:36 AM »
Eng or anyone, can you give a formula for the calculation of the sweet spot/axis?

bloody knuckles

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 01:31:44 AM »
very informative. pictures helped tones thank you..ill hit you up on those part offers too ;D

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 02:56:41 AM »
You wont be disapointed. ;)
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal