Author Topic: Any input?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Any input?
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:21:30 AM »
So, thinking I am moving my toyhauler to Glamis.  That would mean I need a new trailer for the car.  The plan is to take the trailer to Glamis and leave it in storage there. For $80.00 each weekend I go, the storage folks will fill it with water, turn on the fridge before I get there, take it to me at my camp site, pick it up and dump it placing it back into it's storage spot at the end of the weekend.

I burn three tanks of fuel pulling it back and forth to Gordon's at $80.00 a pop. I am looking for a small trailer for the car. I know with a small trailer and just the car for a load I can shave 1/3 of my fuel bill each weekend. So, set up, dump, delivery will be an effective push for me.

The real up side is that I am tired of fitting 13' of car into a 12' of space in the trailer. So, no headaches there. Likely make better time down the road with just a car and a couple of ice chests vs the 28' monster. Figure I will save money on the clutch and reverse as well. Just trying to maximize fun and minimize headache this year. The monthly storage costs is about a push - so this sounds like a good plan and puts us in Glamis in lieu of Gordon's.

So, trolling around I run across this (below).  He is asking 1200 I figure 900.   Any input?   

This is a commercially-built sandrail trailer. It's built well and pulls smoothly. It's specifically designed for a large, rear-engine or mid-engine rail with paddle tires. It has large dish areas behind the fenders for paddle tires to rest and has mount points to install wheel hold-down strap nets. The ramps fold straight up and are held in place with struts and lever-handle bolts. A rail's front wheels run up to the front in deep channels, so there is NO flatbed area.

*** This was purely designed for a rail. I've had people ask me if it could be used for a car -- NO! It would be unstable with incorrect weight distribution. The wheels are 4/5 toward the rear of the trailer to support the weight of a rear or mid engine.

It has a storage bin in the front for tools, supplies, etc. and has more than enough room in front of that to mount a toolbox, cooler, etc. on the mount rails. The lights and wiring were replaced about a 3 years ago. The tires and full-size spare are in great condition. They are actual trailer-rated tires.

This was built by a company in California in the '80s and is very heavy-duty.

Measurements:
Length of channels = 12 feet
Width of the channels = 12.5 inches
Distance between the wheel channels (from inner sides) = 42.5 inches
Width of the paddle tire dishes = 22 inches
Ramps: 34 inches long x 22 inches wide

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Punkur67

Re: Any input?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:08:14 AM »
Are you going to keep the car in a garage? If not it will get beat to hell quick especially in Az. We tarped my dads car for about 6 months and it looked worse that my car did that was a few years old. And what if you want to go somewhere else like gordons  ;) . Will they bring it there for you? Just some stuff tothink about.
I shure mss the days of the flat trailer and sleeping in the bed of the truck. But I am too much of a puss now.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Any input?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »
Well, the car and whatever trailer I end up with will be in the garage.  The car will just be on the trailer like a boat.  I could easily fit a 20 +' trailer in the garage - it is "stacked" (double deep) on one side so what appears to be a two car garage is really three - all mine as the woman has her own single garage that is separate from mine  ;D

I guess if i go to Gordon's I can trailer the car and go back to Glamis to sleep.  I can always drag the trailer myself to Gordon's. 

Or lets assume that I will get most all the bugs worked out of the car  :o, I can take sand highway and drive down to Gordon's and just buy some fuel from happy folks down there?     LMAO
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal