Author Topic: Fiberglassing  (Read 7272 times)

Admin

Re: Fiberglassing
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 06:37:42 AM »
FG mat or cloth?

Mat only, cloth is to hard to fxxk with.... It is fine for laminating foam and stuff in boat hulls but cloth will print thru to the outside when against gelcoat......

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »

Admin

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Yeah, I've been using 3OZ mat for this job. I tried a top layer of heavy cloth the other weekend....... I won't be doing that on anything with corners agian.

I prefer 1.5oz mat in layers, wets out fast and lays corners nicely...

odypilots

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
Boy, did I get an education today. Bug's been making an airbox for our buggies, and a couple of days ago said he needed to take a break from sanding on the plug. So I say I'll come out a sand on it for a while. How hard can it be. Pretty damn hard, it turns out! Bondo, sand, bondo, sand, oh shit, sanded through the bondo, more bondo, sand, not smooth, more bondo, sand.

Now, being a rookie, Bug was real patient, and after awhile, it was clear why he needed a break from it. I hope the glassing goes smoother than making the plug!

Admin

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
Well a few more hours of finish sanding and i will be fiberglassing the air box... sand, prime, sand, fill, prime, about 40 times, lol...

magnum4598

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
have you heard of air craft dacron it comes in diffrent thicknesses and if you apply heat to it ....it shrinks
and draws up tight you just have to glue it down i am going to give it a shot for body panels
it should wet out nice and be strong

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal