Author Topic: Hayabusa mated to T1 transaxle questions  (Read 14671 times)

frankysfree

Re: Hayabusa mated to T1 transaxle questions
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
Assuming the calculations from my last post are correct (i multiplied the vw gear by the R+P then put that # into the final drive on the calculator) then even with a 3.88 R+P and the Vw in 4th gear 0.89 that would give me a top speed of 122.2 mph when in 6th in the busa tranny at 10.5K rpm... I could live with that and it would give me a cruising speed in 6th @60 mph at 4568 rpm which isnt that good but isnt the worst... Wish they made a R+P in the low 3's or a 4th gear of less than .89 but i guess ill be stuck with what i can source...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
Weddle makes almost any gear ratio you may need . I have all 4 gears non stock ratios in my 091.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
Math is really not my strong point.

So check it and let me know if this is right.

If i use the calculator that i linked to at first all i have to do is punch in the final drive numbers and tire size and it gives me the stock compared to the updated results. If my 3rd gear is 1.26 and R+P is 4.12 that would give me an axle ratio of 5.19 correct?? If i stick that number in the calculator along with new tire size(185/80-15) it comes out to a top speed at redline of 36.6 mph and a theoretical top speed in 6th of 91.8 mph. If the VW was in 4th that would give me 51.9 mph in first and top speed in 6th of 115.3 mph.

Does this sound right or am i doing it wrong. I figured the easiest way was to just use the final drive on the calculator (its assuming chain + sprockets) for the Vw final drive instead of doing all the calculations seperate. It also gives me a good idea of what the stock busa ran at certain rpm with stock gearing for a good comparison.
Looks right to me. You understand it correctly. FWIW, I doubt that a non turbo busa will actually pull to redlne in 6th with an 1800# car but the math is correct.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

frankysfree

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »
Weddle makes almost any gear ratio you may need . I have all 4 gears non stock ratios in my 091.

Dont know if i can afford weddle gears... Ill call them tomorrow and see what something like that would run.

frankysfree

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »
Looks right to me. You understand it correctly. FWIW, I doubt that a non turbo busa will actually pull to redlne in 6th with an 1800# car but the math is correct.

It will be turbocharged after its a running, driving car. I simply want to make it roadworthy first, then work on tuning it later. I have a bad habit of getting overwhelmed by taking a simple project and making change after change until its pretty much never ending(and very expensive)... 

I would like to plan on getting a little more out of it than low 120's though. If i could get the gearing to where im running an 0.89 3rd and lower 4th then i could use the vw tranny as over/under drive as your doing.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
Just look up weddle and VIOLA! ,you have exactly what you need. If it were me though I'd invest my coin in an 091  if doing custom ratios and use the 3 rib as an anchor.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

frankysfree

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »
I think ill just adjust the final drive ratio with the rims/tires. I didnt want to stick with the stockers anyway and im going to get the brake kits with blank rotors to have them drilled a more standard pattern like a 4x100mm or 4x114.3mm and found these rims i really like. If i get the 17" rims and go with anything over a 50 height it will gear it down over the stock 15" 80 height tires. If i go 215/55-17 for ex. it gives me a top speed of 126.6 vs 122 with stock tires and gets my cruising rpm @60 mph down to 4408 rpm all assuming i use the 3.88 R+P and vw gearbox in 4th.

frankysfree

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
Just look up weddle and VIOLA! ,you have exactly what you need. If it were me though I'd invest my coin in an 091  if doing custom ratios and use the 3 rib as an anchor.
Looked them up but didnt find specifics or prices on their site. Im close enough in gearing that im not worried and with the rim/tire change i should be even closer to what i want.

Adapter plate is being manufactured to fit T1 box. I dont think it should be a problem unless i do some really hard launches, ie clutch drops.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Have you ran the numbers in busa first gear yet? You're going to find that take off from dead stop is going to suck. It'll be a bitch taking off from a stoplight on an incline. This is the reason for my using the vw trans as an under/overdrive.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

frankysfree

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
With the 215/55/17 tires and 3.88 R+P top speed in first gear with vw gearbox in 4th would be 50.5 mph. If the vw gearbox was in 3rd the top speed in first gear would be 35.7 so i should be fine. I would be going 35.7 mph with the engine revving to almost 10k rpm... I might keep second gear in the vw gearbox just as a really low gear but i dont really see me needing it. Of course you have driven your car with essentially the same setup so you probably know better than me. IIRC isnt it harder to take off in sand than asphalt though? Ive been planning on keeping 3rd and 4th in the vw gearbox as sort of a high/low anyway.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:15:59 PM by frankysfree »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
I do a pretty fair amount of dirt road bonzai running.Even with my 4.56 r&p it's not an easy takeoff in vw 4th on a moderate incline like you will run into all the time on the street. . I also have a MUCH lower 4th gear ratio than you will be running. Therefore I have a much lower final ratio than you. If it were me I'd just keep all the gears in the box for now.
 BTW,the weddle gears are NOT cheap.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »
IMO,you will likely find yourself using 3rd a lot more than you think. Just remember that the torque input to the vw trans will be multiplied and that may be the deal (gear  ;)  ;D ;D)  breaker ultimately.1800 pounds+high speeds+gear ratio multiplied torque input = I wish you had chosen an 091 for this project.  ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

frankysfree

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
Yeah, ill take your advice and keep all the gears for now. I can see firsthand how it drives and do any gear changes when i pull the engine to install the turbo. I will need to pull the gearbox to install the super diff, 3.88 R+P, weld 3rd + 4th gear, and freshen up everything else. I dont think ill have any trouble with the input shaft though. I did read about you breaking one, but i talked to the local VW shop and there opinion was i should leave it as-is. Their specialty is building transaxles from everyday drivers to full on drag cars and they told me they have full bodied drag bugs running the stock input shaft. Kinda weird but ill stick with it for now and upgrade as things break.

What is your tire size? I know they are 31" tall which is about 3" taller than mine but the calculator lets me input a tire size and it does all the hard work for me. I was going to punch in your ratios in the calculator and get a comparison of what your final numbers look like compared to mine. IIRC you said your car weighs in around 1800lbs which is almost spot on to what mine weighs so should give me a decent comparison.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »
R&P(4.57:1) and Weddle gears 1st(3.44:1) 2nd (2.25:1) 3rd(1.78:1) and 4th(1.39:1). Assuming the busa is capable of turning 10500 in each gear which makes countershaft =6862 RPM with busa in (1.043:1)6thgear. Use 31" tires.Assume no tire slip in sand.
1st-3.44:1=40.25 MPH
2nd-2.25:1=61.55 MPH
3rd-1.78:1=77.80 MPH
4th-1.39:1=99.62MPH
These are my mph with custom ratios @10,500 rpm with busa in 6th.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

frankysfree

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
Im not getting the same mph readings from the calculator as you got. I input the VW gearbox in 4th (1.39) and the 4.57 R+P and for redline in 6th in the busa its showing me a top speed of 90.0 mph at 10,500 rpm with a 31" tire.

Am i doing something wrong here? Im sure its not going to be spot on as it only lets me input tire size and not circumference or radius so its up to the program to determine the actual size but i would think it would be closer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:39:17 AM by frankysfree »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal