Author Topic: SO GLAD IT RAINED!!!!!!!  (Read 2026 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
SO GLAD IT RAINED!!!!!!!
« on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
       We'll didn't make LS this week end because of the rain and weather.  drowning drowning So glad that I didn't. Decided to pull all the CV's down and check them out re grease and install new boots be for our Idaho trip.  Driver's side at the transaxle was almost ready to come off.  thumb down :o All the bolts were backed out and the CV was lose on the flange.  I run the full over the CV boot with and inside smaller boot for double protection and can't see the bolts.  Got it all tore down and cleaned and found the star inside was almost toast also.  What you guys think about turning them around end for end.  Putting the inside CV on the outside and vice versa?  That way the balls will be running on the back side of the star and the bad side will be on the cost side.  These things only have about three seasons on them.  As loose as it was I would have not made it down the sand hiway to the south gate. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SPEC

Re: SO GLAD IT RAINED!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
That was a lucky break ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
IMO,big time bad idea.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
I don't think it matters how you turn them around, they are still going to be running on the same spots.  I hear what you are saying about the drive and coast side though.  IF all of the damage is to the one side.  Did the bolts being loose contribute to the stars getting eaten up or did chewed up stars make a binding and vibration that loosened the bolts?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »
I don't think it matters how you turn them around, they are still going to be running on the same spots.  I hear what you are saying about the drive and coast side though.  IF all of the damage is to the one side.  Did the bolts being loose contribute to the stars getting eaten up or did chewed up stars make a binding and vibration that loosened the bolts?

That's like saying what came first.  The chicken or the egg.  :) I am going to see if I can get just the star and cage.  The outer part is fine. One thing is for sure I'll not run the full over boots any more.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
I would get a new star and cage. You will be kicking yourself if you cheap out and break that star on the first day of your trip.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »
I'd replace the whole thing  race prepped(or buy the  .001 under balls) with stock Lobros.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
   Ok guy's and gal's What say you all about GKN OR LOBRO? Which is the best in your opinion.  I have the gkn now and the two that run at the trans are toast.  They are the race prepped and lightened ones with .874 balls.  Most all of the balls mike out to only about .87265 to .87355.  All the balls look good.  None have any wear or pitting.  But the stars both are toast.  The outer shell of the one that was lose is also toast. the cage's are all toast.  You can see where the balls have made indentation in the inside of the cages.  the stars have been hammering on the inside of the cage also.  I use Swepco grease and these things have only been on the car about two to three seasons.  Not even three.  Is it time to go U-joints? 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
You should try the non plunge 930's like DS and I got. The heat and wear will be far less. Many people are getting many seasons from that type. It only takes a bit of modification and a slip joint axle shaft.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
RCV is making my axles now. I'll go into that later. eyes
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal