Author Topic: Custom 930 axles  (Read 6566 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Custom 930 axles
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 11:58:08 PM »

Admin

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
 ;D I guess i learn something everyday, 300 m seems higly talked abut in axles, does that sound right? But how do you get them to take a twist, Sway aways do just that dont they, have the ability to flex?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »
300M is very strong material.  Other than that, in the words of Shultz, I know nothing......

Admin

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 12:09:17 AM »
why cant doug spin them up and send them to moser to spline for 55.00 an end, that has to be way cheaper then 600, i think to spend 600 at moser, with zero expirience in this type of shaft or 800 at sway away, hands down sway away it is...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 12:26:44 AM »
I agree....  Just go Sway Away.  I can't believe someone doesn't stock them longer.  Those Buckshot cars are way wide, with three seats across.  And Fabr aint the first guy to use Mid-boards.........  Of course maybey those big cars all use 934's and bigger CV's.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »
I can turn 300M. Problem is the material is EXPENSIVE! We have used 4340 HT in the past with success and I can get ETD 150 alot cheaper. Im not sure how ETD 150 would work in an axle though. Ive used it on solid axles. I have a spliner I deal with and he cuts alot of splines for the internals that we turn up for The race truck's trans. It pushes 800 HP and 700 foot lbs. of torque. Since the new 4 axis VMC I can get a tool made to cut 930 splines. I have wanted a reason to aquire a tool anyway to make up my own.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 08:38:33 AM »
That is an option to do my own. Problem is time. My  4 axis vmc won't be wired in for another week or 2 and then I have the learning curve.For these I'm thinking I'm better off just biting the bullet and getting the project done. But it's no hurry right now and I'll see about the time frame as I get closer to completion.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 08:41:01 AM »
BTW Swayaway get a torsional twist in their axles by turning a taper from the ends toward the middle. THat allows the axle to twist and not concentrate that twist in any one place. Pretty common thing with quality aftermarket axles for racing of any kind.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 08:46:07 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »
You should have told us that earlier......  We can just make our own now!  :P ::)        ;)

IMO call the people who have dealt with them (Sway Away) and order them up.  No need to be a guinea pig.

BTW, I called Sway Away, and got a guy who was very helpful.  He gave me part numbers for everything they had that might work, and told me exactly what I needed to specify a custom.  However, you can't order direct so then you take the info and give it to a dealer to place the order for you.  IMO calling direct will save you a bunch of back and forth with the dealer checking on every question.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »
Oh yeah, without actually doing any research, I believe there is a difference between cutting splines and forming them.  One is tougher that the other, and I thought it was formed that was better.  I'm not sure but if you think your going to be pushing the limits anyway, I would check into it before making your own.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
I know what you're saying but are swayaway's cold formed(rolled) or cut?    All my axles I've ever bought  from Mark Williams for drag cars have been cut,but with the small diameter of the cv axles I agree rolled would be stronger splines.   I just don't know if it's needed extra strength.  I will likely buy the swayaways but IMO the option to make my own on a 4 axis vmc in the future is a good possibility. Have you verified if the swayaway's are rolled?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
According to this rolled splines are stronger:

http://www.utm.edu/departments/engin/lemaster/Machine%20Design/Notes%2020.pdf

Sway Away says that their axles are "precision machined" but don't specify rolled or cut:

http://www.swayaway.com/Axles.php

The way they get smaller from the spline inward toward the middle, it's possible that the splined area is not the weak link.

My Mark Williams 40 splines are definately rolled.  You can see where the axle was turned to diameter, then where the splines start, the forming process has increased the diameter slightly, instead of the splines being cut down into the turned diameter.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 11:58:22 AM »
Hmmmmm, my MW axles are older but definitely cut. Yes rolled splines are stronger just as rolled threads are stronger due to the metals grain flowing into shape as opposed to cutting the grain.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
That link said 35% stronger.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal