Author Topic: mixing emulsion and coil over shocks  (Read 9265 times)

Offline sandracer1

mixing emulsion and coil over shocks
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »
My wifes Revolt has Elka stage 4 shocks on all 4 corners and Elka does not offer a spring combo that is soft enough for the Revolt. The rears are tolerable with the engine weight in the rear but the fronts suck.
I was wanting to put my 2 emulsion Fox shocks on the front and leaving the rear coil overs to deal with the body roll which is SCARY and dangerous!!!!!!
I will sell all 4 Elkas next year after I put the sway bar on but LS is 3 weeks away and need to try something if possible for her.

Thoughts?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: mixing emulsion and coil over shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
no reason I know of not to mix them.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
well adding an emulsion shock is just like an entry level version of the triple bypass shock beside a coil over. not a bad ideal imo either. the pro series 2.0 emulsion shock offers a shipped pressure psi of 200 psi. this could be used in conjunction with lighter coil springs and i am betting you would still need to drop a few psi. i think the min is 100 psi but not 100% sure on that and you can of course re-valve them as well to tone down what needs be. worth a shot imo and i bet you could achieve what she wants in for comfort level.

http://www.markssandtrans.com/FoxShox1.html
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
well adding an emulsion shock is just like an entry level version of the triple bypass shock beside a coil over. not a bad ideal imo either. the pro series 2.0 emulsion shock offers a shipped pressure psi of 200 psi. this could be used in conjunction with lighter coil springs and i am betting you would still need to drop a few psi. i think the min is 100 psi but not 100% sure on that and you can of course re-valve them as well to tone down what needs be. worth a shot imo and i bet you could achieve what she wants in for comfort level.

http://www.markssandtrans.com/FoxShox1.html
??? ??? ???
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
I took mixing to mean replacing the coilover with the emulsion (air shock assume large shaft).
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
I'm trying to understand how even using both together would bean  " entry level version of the triple bypass shock beside a coil over".WHat are trying to say there DS??
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:22 PM »
I'm trying to understand how even using both together would bean  " entry level version of the triple bypass shock beside a coil over".WHat are trying to say there DS??

i should have re-read that, cause well , i miss read that. what i suggested is not what he is trying to do.  i was just saying that like a triple bypass shock ( or external bypass)  mounted beside or behind a coil over is for additional shock absorbtion, in principal,  so adding an emulsion shock absorber in addition to the coil over.  i was thinking       ( after re-reading i don't know why ) that he was thinking lighter coils + emulsion, using psi to bring them up along with the additional dampening control.

i did toy around with idea myself when i was building my current rail and talked with mark at marks sand trans about it a few times but decided not too. it will help smooth harsher impacts but not smooth out the rest  as a triple by pass would.  there was a little more too it than that but in the end for my app to many cons and not enough pro's. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:13:04 PM by Dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:41:05 PM by Dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
There was a good read on GD also. I'll see if I can find it. Busy welding up headers now so I'll read your stuff and look for mine later. Thanks for posting it up. We NEED more tuning info for sure.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
here is a some good info on valve stacks and tuning

http://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm

"ride plate" I would stay away from these at all costs. All it will do is mask one problem and create many more. If you really need a little more high speed control, another face shim on the top of the stack works without creating pressure spikes or rattling your teeth. Also, if using on a resi out the top shock you better have above 250psi in it or you will start cooking your fluid.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:13:49 AM »
"ride plate" I would stay away from these at all costs. All it will do is mask one problem and create many more. If you really need a little more high speed control, another face shim on the top of the stack works without creating pressure spikes or rattling your teeth. Also, if using on a resi out the top shock you better have above 250psi in it or you will start cooking your fluid.

lol that is what i thought after reading that part of it. they also, kind of , say the same thing.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
Fox's come with these from the factory. They also usually have a couple of spacers on the rebound side to take up space. I move one of these spacers to between the ride/rate plate and the shim stack. This way if you actually hit it you probably have other issues.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
never thought of that before. on the 2.0 and 2.5 air shocks there are indeed 2 spacer between the rebound stack and lock nut. atleast there have been on all of the shocks I have tore down. I have never used emulsion shocks with the smaller shafts but would think they would be the same. 

I have never tried " fluttering the stack" do you have any experience with this? mainly on the rebound side is what I am interested in but if you do then info on both sides would be good. looks like from everything I have read, the general condenses is if you can't get them dialed just the way you like them the next step is to add bypass shocks.

you seem to have some experience tuning shocks so how about you just run down to ls while we are there and chat?!?  ;D ;)

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Flutter stacks work well for getting rid of chatter without getting super sloppy as it would with opening up to many bleed holes. They are also very tunable with shim diameter and thickness. They work equally well on comp and rebound. I have found that doing one side without doing the same to the other creates problems, either packing or stacking.

Tuning airshocks is a pretty unrewarding task. Due to shaft displacement and oil foaming your valving changes are almost un-noticeable. Going to a resi out the bottom on them will require about half the shims as emulsion.

you seem to have some experience tuning shocks so how about you just run down to ls while we are there and chat?!?  ;D ;)

More experience than I ever wanted. I would like to make a LS run, but getting the job situation squared away is taking longer than I thought. I have never been out of work this long before. In San Diego I could walk out of one job an into another the same day. Here, I have sent My resume to over 50 places in the last 2 months and gotten 2 interviews. The offshore welding job I had set-up before the move got fell through, the project got put on hold the night before I was supposed to fly out. Bummer, cause it was more than double what I can make locally..........
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:40:43 PM by BDKW1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal