Author Topic: Slow play build  (Read 19476 times)

Offline sandycrack

Re: Slow play build
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
Well I guess this weekend I will spend a lot time learning to tig weld aluminium.  I have a syncrowave and looking forward to the practice.  The good thing is my neighbor is a certified rail road welder and is certified in aluminium also.  He did say it has been a while, but if I run into a problem you can bet that I will be seeing if he can help.
You smell that?

trans man

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
  I put in 2 brake light switches so when I pull a turning brake that side will light.
I use to run the same setup on my car too. But I ripped it all out, because every time I took my car out, one of the switches would go to $hit. It didn't matter what brand I used.  :'( :'( :'(

SPEC

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »
Better get the seats in it......
I SEE VROOM VROOM  noises in your future ;D

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »
Spent the afternoon learning.  Made pretty good progress, but not happy with the arc pattern. 
85 amps, 15pfs on the argon and 1/16 thoriated tungston.  Was able to create a puddle when I would floor it on the peddle and back off about 10% could move it along welding 1/8 strap to .050 sheet.  The bead was hard to get any kind of a consistent pattern, but no pin holes.
Did not have much success with the pulseing and ran the balance from 7 - 8. 

Any suggestions?   :swig:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:58:43 PM by sandycrack »
You smell that?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »
looking damn good so far!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 11:41:26 PM »
Spent the afternoon learning.  Made pretty good progress, but not happy with the arc pattern. 
85 amps, 15pfs on the argon and 1/16 thoriated tungston.  Was able to create a puddle when I would floor it on the peddle and back off about 10% could move it along welding 1/8 strap to .050 sheet.  The bead was hard to get any kind of a consistent pattern, but no pin holes.
Did not have much success with the pulseing and ran the balance from 7 - 8. 

Any suggestions?   :swig:
More heat,more heat,more heat.....................and more heat. If you are proficient at steel welding the hardest thing to learn is that aluminum takes a lot more heat to weld than a  similar thickness steel.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

rklausbeasty42

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »
nice looks like you put alot of time and money into that beast

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 07:36:26 AM »
So looking at the manual it says 85 amps.  Logic says that the 85 amps is at full pedal so should I turn it up to say 100 so I hit 85 at 75%?  My main thought is the tungston.  I plan on see if my neighbor can come over today give me some tips.  I wanted to be a place where I was able to actuall run a bead before I had him over.
You smell that?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
The manual is just a rough starting point. I had a difficult time learning Ally welding since I had no one here to help teach me. Had to learn it all on my own unlike when I learned steel Tigging.Made a steep learning curve. If I were you I'd call that nabe over. It's time.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 09:01:34 AM »
The one tip I can give you is that IF the weld pool looks like it's a" pond  shimmering in the moonlight" you have the heat right. It is very important that you develop a good weld puddle immediately. In other words hit it with enough heat right off the bat to get the puddle. If you try to "sneak up " on it your puddle will get an oxide layer on it and you are FUBAR till you grind  away the oxide layer. Also ,do not be afraid of burn thru,and a last tip,besure you keep the end of the filler rod IN THE  SHIELDING GAS at all times it is molten.  Well I said it was last tip.Last tip is to practice tigging 2 pieces of ally together WITHOUT filler till you get your technique down.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »
Post a pic of your results so far.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »
Well we are battleing 65mph winds and wildfires here.  Very very dry pasture land so may not get back to it until tonight.  I also found some data on cleaning the AL and I used the steel brush on my grinder so stoped by and picked up a stainless brush today to try. 
I like the idea of trying with no filler.  I am trying to weld 1/8 to .050 so trying not to burn through.  I was successfull on not burning through, but looking at the other side you can see raised areas under the weld.
You smell that?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Well we are battleing 65mph winds and wildfires here.  Very very dry pasture land so may not get back to it until tonight.  I also found some data on cleaning the AL and I used the steel brush on my grinder so stoped by and picked up a stainless brush today to try. 
I like the idea of trying with no filler.  I am trying to weld 1/8 to .050 so trying not to burn through.  I was successfull on not burning through, but looking at the other side you can see raised areas under the weld.
get good without filler first and the rest will be easy. Make a nice tight fitup and practice overlap welds first then butt welds. The importance of clean surfaces cannot be over stressed but a wire brush is crap as it just embeds oxides in the surface. Use a flap wheel to prep.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
Well had a little time to do some more practice on the AL tigging.  Here are a couple of pics.  The small material I figured I contaminated it with a wire brush.  The square with all the beads is actually where I tigged a piece of .050 on to the larger piece of .050 and then made bead after bead.  Good practice and I think I am see good improvement.  The tip of keeping the work clean was a great tip.  Now I use scotchbright and then acetone.  I tried pure tungston, but the arc is very wide and with .050 I like the 2% better.  I have the machine set on pulse and a balance of 6 and things seem to be going well.  I cut a couple of peices of .050 and tigged together at a 45* angle just for something new and found out the edge will melt away very quickly.  I am planning on a couple more evenings of practice some with the angle that I need to weld up to .063 and see how things are then.  Remember i am just a beginner here and all constructive criticism is welcome.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:09:20 PM by sandycrack »
You smell that?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »
We'll be glad to comment after you get those pics up. :) :) :)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal