Author Topic: Well, lets try this again!!  (Read 2765 times)

Islander

Well, lets try this again!!
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:42:28 AM »
Well, my first buggy plans went down the drain with my budget!!  My wife and I are expecting our second child this Feb, and renovations to the house to get a third bedroom ready took the budget I had.  Top that off with getting laid off, and the wife soon going on maternity, and adding the extra debt of a new project just wasn't gonna happen.

That being said, with Spec and Lockedup style build going on has inspired me to go in a different direction with the project I have going already.

She's a 1993 S10 2WD shorty!  I'm keeping it street legal, so nothing TOO crazy!!  My province is getting quite strict with vehicle mods, and it's impossible to get tube buggy's legal for our roads, even when you start with a VIN.

I'm thinking about doing a pre-runner style build with it.  For now, I think I'll go with a 2" lift spindles and probably lift shackles in the rear with a 2" body lift until I can afford to go link and custom A-arm.  I'd like to run 31 X 9.50 R15's in the front with a set of 31 X 12.5 R15's in the rear.  I was going to do a street and strip build, but those are a dime a dozen around here, and this will stand out a little.

Here's what I have into it now.

Engine spec's; 355ci 4 bolt main block, ported 882 heads with 2.02 / 1.60 valves, solid cam with .510 / .510 lift, (can't remember duration or LSA), flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer intake (sold it and moving to RPM or Victor Jr.) with a 1" carb spacer, Holley 650 double pumper carb with no choke.

Trans is a TH400 fresh rebuilt with a stage 2 B&M shift kit and a 3000 stall converter,

Rear is an 8.8" Ford rear out of an Exploder.

First pic is of the S10 when I fist stripped it down and the parts truck, second pic is one from my wedding day that I thought you may enjoy!!

SPEC

Re: Well, lets try this again!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:07:39 AM »
We need more of these builds...
Nice skylark...Wifes not bad either ;D
I like the Idea of a pre runner kinda truck And it sounds like you got the HP to back it up :o
I'm really hoping to see a bunch of the no budget builds start up...

Islander

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »
About the Skylark, it was a lender from a co-worker at the time.  He bought it for $300 so you can imagine the condition it was in!  He spent the next 14 years restoring it and that was the first year it was back on the road.  I was only the third person to drive it other than him and his twin brother!! 

I agree about the builds!!  Lets get some low budget builds going to show that you don't need thousands of dollars to have fun!!

Islander

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »
By the way, does anyone know of a bell housing that will mount to a old school 4 speed trans (I was told it was a Muncie, but I don't think it is) that will allow me to use the factory style hydraulic clutch from the S10?  I have the TH400 in it now, but if I can use the 4 speed, I would like to.  Saves weight, (ever lift a TH400?!?!?) and its always better to row your own gears in my opinion!!

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »
I'll bet if you hit the scrap yard and look at 67 to 72 chevy pick ups
They have a multi pattern on the trans end of the bellhousing...
I might have one ...Gotta see if I can work out a deal with the guy with the 1 ton dooly...then I'll have the one off my 71 ;D

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 07:48:57 AM »
Truck bell housings have a larger index hole in the front for the trans nose cone than car bell housings do.  If it's a car transmission you have a bunch of choices depending on what size clutch you want o run.  The "big" clutch 11" is run in a "621" bellhousing.  Unfortunately they're very desirable so more expensive than others.  Anything less than the 621 should be very affordable.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »
I have a scatter shield for a chevy car stick trans...if you are interested, PM me...it needs to go away, cheap.

Islander

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »
I would if I was allowed spending money on it right now, lol!  We have less than 2 months 'till the new baby gets here, so now fundage until after then, I was just getting a feeler out there to see what to look for, thanks anyway!!

On another topic, I need new tires for my ZR2 before the winter gets too bad, and I can buy 2 different sets for the same price used.  Both have less than 2000 kms, and are both close in price for the set of 4.  They are Interco TrXus MT's and Hankook Dynamic MT.  Anybody have any experience with either set?  The Hankook's have less mileage (900kms) and are 50 bucks cheaper.  Just looking for a little input before I make the choice.  They are 31 X 10.5 R 15's if that makes any difference.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
If looking for the max mileage left in them check and compare the wear rating of each. Should help make the decision easy.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Islander

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:18 PM »
Well, mileage is partly a concern, as it should be, but I'm also moving from a set of General Grabber At's that wore like crap, so pretty much anything's gonna be an improvement.  Wore out in about 20 000 KMS.  I'm really looking for an marked improvement in off-road ability.  We get a lot of snow up here, and the ones I have now pack up really quick.  I know that a MT tire is generally a poor choice when it comes to light snow and ice, but we get a lot of deep snow here.  Plus, I love mudding with it in the spring and fall, and Dad owns a fairly large shale pit I'm allowed to play in.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »
IMO,the worst part of MT's is stopping ability in light snow. A good all season works well there. Not for shit in mud tho. Can't have it all! LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Islander

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »
As soon as they make the tire that can, I'll get in line for a set!!  Someday I'll have a set of Bogger's for playing and a set of A/T's for everyday, but until then, compromise!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »
Hehehheheeee,join the crowd.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Islander

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »
Well, I think I'm going to go pre-runner with this truck.  I've been over at the Dezertdimes site and got some great info over there about building a pre-runner S10.  Once I got by all the California slang that they use, I could see info, lol!  I will still be posting my build here though, they are mostly more of a bolt on group then pure fabricators, not that there is a problem with that, and when it comes down to it, the more eyes picking out problems, the better info I'll get  ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »
That kind of build will be greatly interesting as it gives us new ideas . Cool!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal