Author Topic: New LIL MONSTER build!  (Read 106768 times)

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
Re: New LIL MONSTER build!
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
Well, I just got the lower shock mounts officially done! They were the hardest part so far because of the compound angle they sit at and the way I had to clearance for the coils....Just a few more braces in the cab and I can start mounting the engine to the trans to build the engine cage!
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

SPEC

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2009, 04:45:30 AM »
Looks great whip ;D
Don't mean to Hi-jack
Hey Doc...how about some more pics of that baja of yours on it's own thread

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
No worries! Hey, the coolest thing, I just found my car on Flicker at a car show, BEFORE I bought it! Pretty small world I'd say!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:15:33 AM by Whiplash »

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »
Here are some more crappy pics with my phone, it usually comes out good but the sun was down so it sucks..Making more progress, the engine is coming soon!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:20:26 PM by Whiplash »

Bajas RULE!!

artie on edge

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:01 AM »
Do you guys see any reason I can't just weld these up right here, I bought the cheap kit and it seems like the heim plates are a bit too short for the big arms..

No no no dude sorry Ive just logged on.. DONT WELD THEM... these are your camber  and toe  adjuster points... ok you got toe with the heim but camber is adjusted by twisting the joint up or down..... I dont know if im making sense.... its friday night and the bottle is empty...

Ill try and find some pics.... there are more pages to go so i dont know if you have done it yet or someone has pointed this out.. so im jumping in blind here... hopefully someone did beforte you welded them...

artie on edge

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2009, 05:28:40 AM »
Ok got to the end and no ones said anything and you have welded them.... sorry I didnt get on earlier mate. The joint youve welded is placed there to do two things, adjust your toe which you can still do with the heim and also to adjust your camber. The IRS back end is much much better than the swing axle set up but still suffers from excessive camber gain through its travel... have you ever seen one of these things roll at speed? THEY DONT WANT TO STOP... LMAO

I couldnt find a pic of what I meant so I dicked one up... by twisting the arms up or down you can obtain a limited amount of camber adjustment... not much but enough in most cases to change it from dangerous to useable... I hope where it is is good.... you dont have any option right now...

We used to set em up on the aligner, the holes on the plate which mounted on the chassis (spring plate cause the torsion bar used to act on this plate) was elongated and would match the holes on the arm plate.. once it was adjusted where we wanted it we drilled another 4 3/8 holes and added these bolts as well.

How do I know? This is the exact same system we used in our old rail cars back in the late 80's.... again dude sorry I didnt get to see this earlier.

I would have extended the arm plate so it fitted the spring plate (the one that mounts to the chassis).... if its way out... nothing a grinder wont fix.... you may luck it in though and it will be ok on both sides....

As an aside..... how many of you guys spend tens of thousands of dollars on cars and dont even give them a 4 wheel align?

This is a common thing... in my experience... Tens of thousands VS $75????
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:30:36 AM by Artie /KING SMITIE!! »

artie on edge

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2009, 05:36:28 AM »
IMO this looks like a heap of fun...I really hope you get to use it and enjoy it .... (dont roll it.... god they're funny when they get goin.... ).

One of these with a 4ag Toyota engine kicked my arse off the line at a a race called Puckapunyal..... until the first corner.... never saw him again.... great fun though....

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
Well, The way it is I have nice negative camber gain all the way up so it should be ok...besides the stock arms don't even have that adjustment? Just a slot front to rear....?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:50:30 AM by Whiplash »

Bajas RULE!!

artie on edge

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
Well, The way it is I have nice negative camber gain all the way up so it should be ok...besides the stock arms don't even have that adjustment? Just a slot front to rear....?
The stock arems arent going sideways off road... good luck mate looks good.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »
Thanks! I might need it! LOL!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
Alright, I got a bit more done today, I got the brakes and the bearing carriers assembled (correctly I think/hope) and got the last of the bracing done on the driver side and I only need to do the pass side braces and I should be good to install the engine for mockup of the engine cage ETC. Hopefully the rest will go smoothly!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
Got the other two tubes in, so hopefully I will be bolting the engine up tomorrow night for its first test fit!!!

Bajas RULE!!

Islander

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
I know it's just the protective tape, but I really like that blue with the green, lol!
It's looking good, can't wait to see vids of this one going!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
Well, I tried to get the motor over here but got held up at work so I ran out of time, hopefully tomorrow!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »
HOPEFULLY, I will get the engine today, I got held up at work yesterday and could not get to it, I NEED this thing to run, or I better start gluing paddles to my shoes!!

Bajas RULE!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal