Author Topic: Mini Truggy Finally a start  (Read 35384 times)

Icky

Re: Mini Truggy Finally a start
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
Ok, i have questions cause this is along the lines i was thinking not to long ago. Whats your width and wheelbase going to be? It looks to be about the size of a UTV? Are you worried about the unsprung weight of having the solid axle back there, i know it's been mentioned to me before cause i wanted to run a toyota axle as well, cheaper then a transaxle. Where do you plan on running this at? Looks good keep up the good work, sorry bout all the questions.

lockedup

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
No im not to worried about the weight, Im actually hoping it will help to even out the weight when taking flight :) because the motor is forward mounted.  The wheelbase is going to be somewhere around 96-100" I havent set it yet so im still playing with it. The width is going to be 72"+ .  Its mainly going to be ran in the dunes and desert maybe a little of around town driving if its not to much of a PITA to do that.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:49:25 PM by Lockedup »

Icky

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
how do you think the toyota rear end is going to hold up vs using a 9inch, i only ask cause of the picture in you avatar :) are you switching over to disc brakes ?

lockedup

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 08:40:33 PM »
how do you think the toyota rear end is going to hold up vs using a 9inch, i only ask cause of the picture in you avatar :) are you switching over to disc brakes ?

Yea it should be fine im only running a 305, but.... time will tell  ;D  The thought of disks has come across my mind but right now im not doing it i probably will later down the road

Im picking up more tubing tommorow and getting to work on getting the front end together. I also found some coilovers so hopefully ill have some a arms fabbed up here in the next couple weeks.

plkracer

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »
The 305 is a pretty tame V8. The toyota axle should hold up to it.

Islander

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 04:26:34 AM »
I know of a Toyota 4 Runner that is about 15km's away from me that is running a set of 38's and a really beefed up 383 stroker small block on nitrous that has been running the Toyota axles for almost 10 years now.  He drives it like he stole it every summer beating it through bogs and hill climbs while still logging street miles every year, and has only broken the axles twice that I know of, and he is still running them.  With the much lighter weight of your truggy and the unfortunately really low for a V8 power of your 305, you should be fine for a long time.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
All 305 Chevy V-8s aint wimps.

I have seen a older (early 80's ish) monte carlo with a factory 305 and an automatic that you could turn the wheel all the way to the side and stomp the gas and it would whip donuts spinning both rear tires (posi) till you let off.

Also when I worked for a fiber optics installation crew we had a 2wd chevy long bed pickup with a 305 and an auto and even loaded with all the misc crap (about 1000 pounds worth) in the bed we would take it and drag race stop light to stoplight and I do not recall it ever losing. It was not mega deep geared either it would run 100 mph down the freeway without trouble.

I learned a long time ago to never under estimate ANY small block chevy till you have seen it run. No matter what the displacement. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Islander

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
I will agree with you there, but there is still no comparison between a 305 and a 383.  Hell, I'd take a 283 any day!   Little mouse'll scream! 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
Yah but most 305s are factory stock. A 383 is a built engine any way you look at it. You don't assemble a 383 for the gas mileage. At least I have never heard of someone doing it. 

They are both chevy small blocks. But comparing a 305 to a 383?

Its not apples to oranges but it sweet VS sour apples at least.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Islander

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
The only reason I have a slight problem with the 305's is that they, for some reason, are the most detonation prone small blocks in the family.  I think that it just has something to do with the smallish bore and the bad cylinder head design.  That being said, I had a Camaro, Monte Carlo, and a few half tons with 305's.  Could never kill them, and I tried many times, just for fun.  I wasn't trying to say that the 305's were a bad motor, I was just saying that they don't make enough for me to worry about the Toy axle. 

SPEC

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »
I got a 305 on the bench now...Trying to decide what to do with it ;D
They're not a bad motor...
I just don't understand when GM did the 305 why they didn't do the 307 instead...

Islander

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 05:34:44 AM »
They should have kept the small journal 327, now that motor was fun.  Dad had one in a 66 Chevy II.  He still has another 327 that he won't let me have....

SPEC

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »
Ya,
327's are getting rare...
I got a fuelie in my 71, pickup...
Altho I sold the inj.
and opted to play with the old 1 barrel for fuel milage ::)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
I will agree with you there, but there is still no comparison between a 305 and a 383.  Hell, I'd take a 283 any day!   Little mouse'll scream! 
I ran low 10's with a .060 over 283 in a 2500# car many years ago but I really like my 434 and 428 SBC's best. No comparision.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

lockedup

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »
This 305 came out of a mid 60's camaro (cant remember the exact year) and it ripped pretty good. Not as good as the 383 the guy put in it to replace this but that car was probably 4000lb? and i dont esitmate this car being anywhere over or near 2500lb so i think it should do real well for what i want. The rear axle has 4:11 in it so it should go good  ;D hopefully.

But.....

Last night i got some good progress. Finished up the main part of the front end and got it fully welded this morning. Heres some pics, im really happy with how this is looking.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal