Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 102042 times)

78crew

Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »
Thanks for putting out the information for the trailing arms.  Those look very nice.  I will have to look into getting a pair. 

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »
should match 3x3 ta`s. his ta`s do look very nice. you can extend the tubes or add a 2nd cross tube farther forward. i would thin k 105 to 106" wheel base would a good size. just my opinion though. i`m sure others will chime in with experience or opinions as well. with the a arms flat out it is at its widest but at full droop narrower. my rear engine 3.8 v6 rail was 106" wheel base and my current mid engine is 115". diff designs though.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2018, 09:29:45 AM »
you asked about wheel base soooo as a sort of visual reference...... the blue rail is my old 3800 series II v6 rear engine rail i built almost 8 years ago and ran for 3 years. it's 106" wheel base and the lower shock mounts are 1/4" thick flat plate, cut to shape and butt welded to the lower arm.  1/2" tube welded through for a 1/2" bolt, wanted to try this on my own rail before anyone else's and worked quite well. still holding strong to this day up at silver lake sand dunes. both rails have the same front end you have less lower shock mount.

this is my current rail but mid engine and 115" wheel base.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:42:06 PM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
How long are the front shocks on those buggies you showed?

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »
the blue rail has 2.0 fox 12" stroke n20 and red one has 12" stroke 2.5 fox n20. do not use the 2.5 n20 on the front.....trust me on this one. remember mine have 24" wheel travel. 16" to 18" won't need 12" stroke imo. i think 10" would prob be best. 

10" are 27.43" fully extended and 12" stroke are 31", in a fox 2.0 n20.  2.5" fox n20 have a 3" taller body which is why i had to drop mine below the a arms.  http://markssandtrans.com/FoxShox5.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:45:27 PM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
Right now I am liking the way this person set up their front shocks.  I am not sure if his shocks are 10" or 12" shocks (my guess is 10").  I like the looks of his shock hoops and the angular braces which tie the hoops into the center crossbar on this blue buggy.  My white buggy already has upper cross bracing and I think I will leave it, or at least most of it.  I can put in two tubes that go from the main upper crossbar down and back to the lower crossbar.  That will give me something to weld the top mounting tubes of the a-arm cradle to.  I can also weld braces front the shock hoops to that same upper crossbar much like the braces on the blue buggy shown below.  Hopefully with 10" shocks the shock hoops won't have to be too high up above the upper horizontal side frame bar.  I am sure it is hard to follow what I am talking about.   

I was also thinking of making the nose of the buggy flat and making an an aluminum skid plate which follows along the front of the lower curve on the a-arm cradle.  Of course, all my plans may change.  Nothing is set in concrete.   ;D

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »
sounds like you have a good plan in place! i'm sure it will change a bit here and there....it always does lol

those are 10" stroke shocks. you can kind of tell considering the spindle up right bolt spacing is 8.5" on center. he did  a nice job on his install for sure.

are you still thinking about cutting the bracing and spreading the frame up 3"?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:18:37 PM by dsrace »

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »
no matter what you do just make sure the upper a arm clears the frame on the top side. and skid plates come in very handy sometimes lol
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:27:08 PM by dsrace »

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:42:29 PM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:20 PM »
Yes.  The plan is to cut the two vertical sidebars (the vertical bar under the windshield and the smaller vertical bar which is up toward the front of the buggy).  I think we can spread them apart then insert a short piece of tubing back between the cut and weld it back up.  I really don't think it is going to need to go 3".  I think it will take only 1-1/2" to 2" to get that upper bar high enough to tie into the upper front bars.  Actually, I think the lower bar is more likely to move down than the upper is to move up.  Either way, they should move apart.  i will make sure the a-arms clear.  The plan is to start cutting tomorrow morning.   

78crew

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
That picture you drew up is pretty much what I was thinking, except that I was not planning on putting in the two long tubes from the windshield down to the front of the buggy.  Do you think they are needed?

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
if you use fox air shocks ( nitorgen n20) then 2.0's are good in the front but not enough for the rear! need 2.5's for the rear.

if your spreading the frame then take the top main tubes to the nose and then you won't need the top 2 i drew.

here's a few that username big dave never posted lol i'm posting them in reference to the flat nose and shock hoop.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:44:22 PM by dsrace »

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:44:49 PM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2018, 10:57:02 PM »
Those give me something to think about.  I hadn't thought of doing it that way.  It sure does give the a-arms lots of room.  What I was thinking of is something simple like this and with the shock hoops you drew up.  I tried drawing hoops and shocks on there but it proved to be above my abilities. 

78crew

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »
I need to go to bed for tonight.  I am sure it is even later for you than me.  Thanks for staying up and taking the time to help me work out some ideas.  I will be sure to take some pictures as I start.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal