Author Topic: Fabr's Car-VW/busa crossbreed  (Read 265897 times)

Admin

Re: busa/VW crossbreed?
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »
Keep wondering bugboy!

Lol, ok shittindust!

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
;D ;D ;DHehehe,no hurry at all but I do feel like a little kid waiting for Santa. ;D ;D ;D

HO! HO! HO!

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
Looks like the poor boy went to bed and missed Santa!

Since this in an information website, I will give a few comments on how I made this prototype, with no fixtures, and a couple tricks I have learned from the shool of hard knocks.  What better part to use for an example than one of Fabr's  8) 8) top secret parts.  Besides, I don't forsee many build posts from him. :P

The first side which you can see a few posts back, was done with the material just held in the vice jaws.  Very straight forward.  If the material would have been thicker, I would have cut the full depth of the profile to advoid any stepover line later.  But because I had no excess material thickness, I left 1/2" at the bottom to advoid the part moving around as the flange got to thin.

Once the first side was finished, I prepared the vice for the second operation.  I cut the reverse image of the profile of the part into the aluminum vice jaws.  One thing that can bite you here is if the part has small radii on the outside of the part, they can be very hard to replicate in the jaw.  If that was the case you may have to cut some extra clearance for it.  Another trick when cutting vice jaws (whether you are profiling or just cleaning them up), is to place a piece of metal in the jaw at an angle then tighten the jaw down on it. (picture below)  The vice always has some slop, and this guarantees that the up slop is taken out when the vice is cut just as it will be up when the part is in the vice.  This will keep the part from having a taper from front to rear.

Once the jaws were cut, I place the part in and tightened it down.  It fit very well.  Next I cut the flange off of the part, but stayed .02 away from the actual profile.  Once this cut was finished, I measured the .02 front and rear to see how well the part was located.  When using aluminum jaws , you can get some crush, and this will always move the part toward the stationary jaw.  after measuring I adjusted the part .003.  I could also have dialed off of a hole drilled in the previous operation.

When cutting the vice jaws with a curved or other complex profile, I always program the part off of the same zero as the vice cut.  Makes it hard to screw up the zero of the part that way.

Machined the second side out.  Both the 1st and second operation took about 45 minutes each actual machine run time.  Couple more pictures of the finished part, and once I broke the part loose in the vice you can see how it fit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:04:39 PM by Engineer »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »
Here comes Santa Claus.here comes Santa Claus! Very nice Carl!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2009, 05:07:10 AM »
You sorry ass mofo's!!  ;D ;D On the next one I want Cedar Bluff Offroad on it also.I like the dtsfab.com shit! 8) If MBN was put on it I'd melt the fxxker down and burn mbn into engineers ass with a branding iron!!!

AHHHH CEDARBLUFF OFFROAD...
MMMMM what could have been there huh?
Too bad that didn't work eh Fabr?

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2009, 05:36:55 AM »
Stupid question - are the jaws consumable?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2009, 05:46:37 AM »
yes, otherwise he is the stupid one. ;D
This post has been edited due to content.

SPEC

« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
They make inserts, that are consumable...
But I think Engineer/farmer prolly machined his own for this project...Mumbler did the same thing when he machined my hubs

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2009, 07:47:47 AM »
Great write up engineer.This is indeed an info site and great info that is!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
OH!!!,the DTSFAB.COM thing will be quite fun posting pics of that at "the other site".LOL!!!!!! Since they see fit to censor any mention of dtsfab over there it'll be fun to see what BS they come up with to justify not allowing posting of this. I guess we're just a step above that place since we don't censor THEIR site being mentioned here.What are they afraid of?  MAYBE were taking away a few members but why  worry about a little ol' start up site like ours to the point of not allowing our site to be mentioned? LOL!!! WE know why! THIS is a great site thanks to the members we have.Thanks guys!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2009, 08:14:05 AM »

the jaws are just a piece of billet that he has fitted to the vice, so yes, they are consumable...

Great right up engineer...

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2009, 08:24:16 AM »
fixed it for you..... :P
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »
You are going to DIE !!!!!!!OR become the first banned member in our short history,yummi!!! I didn't think it would happen so soon nor to a valued member but ....ya gotta draw the line somewhere!!!  LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Fabr beat me to it :(
BUT IT WAS FOOKIN FUUUNNY

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »
OH!!!,the DTSFAB.COM thing will be quite fun posting pics of that at "the other site".LOL!!!!!! Since they see fit to censor any mention of dtsfab over there it'll be fun to see what BS they come up with to justify not allowing posting of this. I guess we're just a step above that place since we don't censor THEIR site being mentioned here.What are they afraid of?  MAYBE were taking away a few members but why  worry about a little ol' start up site like ours to the point of not allowing our site to be mentioned? LOL!!! WE know why! THIS is a great site thanks to the members we have.Thanks guys!!!!

LOL.......

Yep!  I make them by the dozen.  All my work is short runs, and some parts need to be held deep, some shallow, etc.  I keep the programs to cut different configurations right in the control.  Of course this jaw cut was special just for this part.  I have found cutting the jaw to be the most accurate way to control the "kick up" in the vice.  If you use a standoff under your part, you will find it is always loose once the vice is tight, indicating the movement.

I used some consumable (inserted) tooling as well....  I instantly consumed some inserts  :o on a plunge cut.  ;)  But that was before we got down to the purty stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal