Author Topic: cool tools for the shop....  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Yoshi

405dentech

Re: cool tools for the shop....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
That has got to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Did you already order one? ;D

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
That is SWEET. I wonder if you scan something on that thing  Could Doug Heim then make a metal one from the info from the scan.

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:38:27 PM »
Very nice.   I didn't watch the whole thing becuase of my connection, but I could use one of those for sure.  I'll try to watch later, but do they say how much? 

Speaking of cool tools for the shop, today began the installation of our new plasma machine.  It is a little nicer than our old one we used for the last year.  They should have it in tomorrow, and I get trained on friday.  Check it out!

The actual plasma unit.

And the burny controller.

now with the water tables, which are off the older unit.

And the old old machine, that built the company-

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
but do they say how much? 

2k, ?

Now the Chinese can get exact copies instead of taking those tedious measurements and missing it here and there.   Imagine - an exact cad / copy of a Rolex, or a Chevy - wow - the list is endless.   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:14 AM »
ok so it scanned that steam engine and when it came out of the 3d printer it all the parts moved.. it is built assembled.. so how does the scanner get into all those places that it cant see?? 
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:01:48 AM »
I think that part was demonstrating the printing capabilities, not the scanner...
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:04:52 AM »
Nice pics T8erhead, but setting your drinks on any electrical piece of equipment around me will get your ass drug outside.  Lot's o'money counting on that paper cup holding together. :o
This post has been edited due to content.

Hoodlum

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:24:12 AM »
The scanner says .015 tolerance on larger objects...(shoe box size)....Wouldn't this make it useless for engine cases and other low tolerance items? Even bearing carriers?
Hoodlum

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:48:54 AM »
Hey T8, is the old plasma table for sale?....... gg:

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »
I've had dibs on that old thing since we upgraded to the last Sector model.  We traded that one after a year of running it, on the new machine.  The only reason we keep the dinosaur is for cutting steel mesh, or it would be in my shop.

Boostin, that 260 amp plasma unit was one of the install guys' lunch table.  Got here this morning and his garbage was still there.  I pointed it out to the shop foreman and he didn't think it was a big deal.  I'm with you though.

I think we'll be cutting tomorrow on the new machine.  I'm hoping my upright parts will be one of the test nests, we'll see.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:37:47 PM by T8erhead »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
ok so it scanned that steam engine and when it came out of the 3d printer it all the parts moved.. it is built assembled.. so how does the scanner get into all those places that it cant see??

Pretty sure that steam engine was drawn in some cad program including tolerances.  Same for the Creasant wrench.  It is still pretty amazing that it works.

They didn't give the price for the printer.......  Scary!   Plus it will only make soft parts.  Not usable prototypes, unless your prototyping plastic parts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:30:02 PM by Engineer »

plkracer

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
We had one of those printers at my high school. The dissolvable material is expensive, and the machine is very slow. Thet steam engine probably took a day to finish unless it is all made of support material inside. At the college, we have a machine that uses laser to cure a resin to make a part. The tolerances are not as good, (depending on speed and the shape of the part) but it makes a part fast, and it is very strong. We also have a powder-bed printer that uses plastic powder that is melted so that the part is formed in small layers. Pull the part out, tap it off, and your good to go.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »
Pretty sure that steam engine was drawn in some cad program including tolerances.  Same for the Creasant wrench.  It is still pretty amazing that it works.

They didn't give the price for the printer.......  Scary!   Plus it will only make soft parts.  Not usable prototypes, unless your prototyping plastic parts.
Several years ago I went to the Superflow Dyno/flowbench yearly gathering in Colorado Springs(an invite only thing ) and we were shown that technology at a demo by GM. They also had a phenolic paper printer there. Both would make usable prototype parts such as intake manifolds or air ducts as examples.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
When I bought the CNC and Cam system 12 years ago, the guy who did some training said he had been in a Nascar shop, and they were probing cylinder heads to get a surface file right down to all the casting flash and imperfections, to then reproduce them, but change the ports to what they wanted, but outside it would be an exact replica for the tech peps, because they were required to run OEM castings. hehe.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal