Author Topic: Dealing on some equipment  (Read 12717 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Dealing on some equipment
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »
where do I find one of these oilers?  What's the full name of it so I can google better?  I saw one in action today and now I gotta have one.
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
bijur?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »
bijur?
???

I understand now.....  I checked through their site and couldn't find one.  Lot's of automatic and centralized stuff though.  This one is a handheld for the ball oilers.  The machinist I talked to didn't know where he got it, but did order it from somewhere new.  So they should still be available.  It's not an antique or anything.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:13:58 AM by Boostinjdm »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »
It was just a guess at best . Sorry it wasn't right.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2011, 01:13:36 AM »
Finally got some power hooked up and ran the machines.  I'm fairly familiar with them now as far as what lever does what.  I actually made some cuts with the lathe.  This thing is sweet compared to the last two I've had to use.  Taking .125" off the diameter in one pass didn't bother it a bit.  That would have been about 6 passes on the lathe I've been using...

Ok.....so what do you guys use for oilers?  I still haven't located a source for the one in the pic. 

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:08 PM »
What do you guys use for coolant? Doug, Adam, Fabr, anybody else.

I'm lookin for low/no maintenance and no shit growin in the tank.  So far it looks like Mobilemet 404 cutting oil is a good candidate.  Thoughts?

http://thelubricantstore.com/customer/thlust/customerpages/specpages/mobilmet-404.html

I'm also looking for a few things.  Rotary table, mill vise, 3MT live center.  The live center is needed most with the vise coming in a close second.  The rotary table is more of a want than a need.  Just looking for stuff that works for now if any of you have extras you want to sell.  I'll upgrade later on.  I'm damn near out of money now.

OH, Jay at American Rotary wasn't exaggerating when he said you could sit on the converter and carry on a phone conversation.  It's actually that quiet.  My electric and LP heaters are louder than the converter.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
What do you guys use for coolant? Doug, Adam, Fabr, anybody else.

I'm lookin for low/no maintenance and no shit growin in the tank.  So far it looks like Mobilemet 404 cutting oil is a good candidate.  Thoughts?

http://thelubricantstore.com/customer/thlust/customerpages/specpages/mobilmet-404.html

I'm also looking for a few things.  Rotary table, mill vise, 3MT live center.  The live center is needed most with the vise coming in a close second.  The rotary table is more of a want than a need.  Just looking for stuff that works for now if any of you have extras you want to sell.  I'll upgrade later on.  I'm damn near out of money now.

OH, Jay at American Rotary wasn't exaggerating when he said you could sit on the converter and carry on a phone conversation.  It's actually that quiet.  My electric and LP heaters are louder than the converter.

Witch one did you get?  I mite need a new one soon.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
Coolant.

Trimsol was the standard for years but will get the funk going if you don't have a skimmer set-up.

The Valenite stuff is pretty funk resistant and lubricates well.

Any soliubule oil sucks.

Blasser lube is great stuff but kinda spendy.

Hangsterfer's also good stuff.

Using filtered water will greatly cut down on rust issues.

For the lube, one of the old lever pump type oil cans works well. Just jam the tip in and give it a couple of squirts..........

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:16:17 PM by BDKW1 »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
I emailed Mobil and they suggested Mobilmet 426 so I ordered a couple gallons from Mcmaster.  Spent the whole day adjusting shit.  The mill is in good shape, but the headstock on the lathe needed to be aligned.  The chuck needed to be adjusted true and some of the gibs are worn past being able to adjust.  Stuck in some shim stock behind the gibs for now.  Will have to look into a more proper repair.  Also have occasional chatter problems.  I think its cutter related, but I'm not familiar with proper set up of these CNMG negative rake inserts and holders.

Fast,
I got the 7.5hp cnc model for $700 shipped.

Jet tech support spoke very highly of the Phase Perfect set up that Fabr suggested.  I called Jet to help figure out why my work light got toasted.  Turns out the wild leg landed on that circuit causing 38 volts out of a 24 volt transformer. nono  Switched some wires around and it's good now.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »
I emailed Mobil and they suggested Mobilmet 426 so I ordered a couple gallons from Mcmaster.  Spent the whole day adjusting shit.  The mill is in good shape, but the headstock on the lathe needed to be aligned.  The chuck needed to be adjusted true and some of the gibs are worn past being able to adjust.  Stuck in some shim stock behind the gibs for now.  Will have to look into a more proper repair.  Also have occasional chatter problems.  I think its cutter related, but I'm not familiar with proper set up of these CNMG negative rake inserts and holders.

Fast,
I got the 7.5hp cnc model for $700 shipped.

Jet tech support spoke very highly of the Phase Perfect set up that Fabr suggested.  I called Jet to help figure out why my work light got toasted.  Turns out the wild leg landed on that circuit causing 38 volts out of a 24 volt transformer. nono  Switched some wires around and it's good now.
there's none better but a PP is not always needed
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 12:38:24 AM »
So I've been adjusting and tinkering and I think I've done as much as I can.  How accurate can I expect a part to be when removing from the chuck and then re-installing?  I've got the 10" chuck (unknown brand, markings gone) on because pretty much everything I want to do in the near future will fit in it.  I've been turning a 2 3/4" (now 2 1/2") piece of solid steel.  I've gotten it to the point where I have 16" or so cut unsupported with no measurable taper.  When supporting with a live center I also have no measurable taper.  Sounds good so far.  Now when I remove the part from the chuck and then re-install it, I'm out up to .003" (.0015" off center) at the chuck and up to .020" (.010" off center) at 16" out.  I'm assuming this is coming from play in the jaws and not some alignment problem somewhere else.  When I re-chuck and support with the live center, then I am still off right at the chuck, but good 16" out.  Can I hope for anything better than this?  Or is this about as good as it gets without spending thousands on a chuck?  One of the jaws does appear to have been touched with a grinder.  Not much, but noticeable.  Could I set up a tool post grinder and correct this?  Is it worth the effort?  My lathe has a D1-4 chuck mount, is my current accuracy going to disappear when I swap chucks?  In theory, it should stay the same because of the tapered nose the chuck gets pulled on to, but if it's going to change I'll just leave the damn thing on there and only swap when I need the 4 jaw.

Changed my cutter to a cemented carbide cheapy that I sharpened myself and it works awesome.  I think I may stock up on them and leave the CNMG tooling in the drawer or put it up for sale. 

I've got what looks like Flo-lock inserts and no holder.  They are grooving/o-ring inserts.  Anybody interested?  I think I've got about a dozen or so.  Will trade for something I can use.  Got lot's of inserts I don't think I have a use for.  Anybody interested PM me and I'll make a list.

I managed to make  a kick ass brass hammer and 3/4" drive ratchet handle the other day.  I tried getting pics, but my computer display is fxxked up and I can't tell if the pics are any good or not.  Looks like a new computer is in my future too.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »
Chucking repeatability is always an issue.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
So I've been adjusting and tinkering and I think I've done as much as I can.  How accurate can I expect a part to be when removing from the chuck and then re-installing?  I've got the 10" chuck (unknown brand, markings gone) on because pretty much everything I want to do in the near future will fit in it.  I've been turning a 2 3/4" (now 2 1/2") piece of solid steel.  I've gotten it to the point where I have 16" or so cut unsupported with no measurable taper.  When supporting with a live center I also have no measurable taper.  Sounds good so far.  Now when I remove the part from the chuck and then re-install it, I'm out up to .003" (.0015" off center) at the chuck and up to .020" (.010" off center) at 16" out.  I'm assuming this is coming from play in the jaws and not some alignment problem somewhere else.  When I re-chuck and support with the live center, then I am still off right at the chuck, but good 16" out.  Can I hope for anything better than this?  Or is this about as good as it gets without spending thousands on a chuck?  One of the jaws does appear to have been touched with a grinder.  Not much, but noticeable.  Could I set up a tool post grinder and correct this?  Is it worth the effort?  My lathe has a D1-4 chuck mount, is my current accuracy going to disappear when I swap chucks?  In theory, it should stay the same because of the tapered nose the chuck gets pulled on to, but if it's going to change I'll just leave the damn thing on there and only swap when I need the 4 jaw.

Changed my cutter to a cemented carbide cheapy that I sharpened myself and it works awesome.  I think I may stock up on them and leave the CNMG tooling in the drawer or put it up for sale. 

I've got what looks like Flo-lock inserts and no holder.  They are grooving/o-ring inserts.  Anybody interested?  I think I've got about a dozen or so.  Will trade for something I can use.  Got lot's of inserts I don't think I have a use for.  Anybody interested PM me and I'll make a list.

I managed to make  a kick ass brass hammer and 3/4" drive ratchet handle the other day.  I tried getting pics, but my computer display is fxxked up and I can't tell if the pics are any good or not.  Looks like a new computer is in my future too.

If your using a three jaw self centering chuck you will never get any better. Even if you were to use a four jaw chuck I don't think you would improve the runout at 16 inch's.  If you are wanting repeatability then you will have to go to a collet chuck system.  Chuck's have a scroll back and the wear in them will kill your repeatability.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »
So I just need to call it good?  Most of the things want I do are not going to be that critical.  The ones that are can be dialed in with the 4 jaw and a live center or steady/follow rest.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »
YUP
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal