Author Topic: Dealing on some equipment  (Read 12727 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: Dealing on some equipment
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
Seems high to me for the equipment. Especially in this market. Look at what equipment is going for on auction sites. You will be suprised!  :o

I ran my entire garage with a 10hp rotary for about 5 years. Get a quiet one! Mine cost $600 about 6 years ago brand new. You can finde deals on those as well! FYI I bought my CNC proto trak for about $6000 all said and done. My CNC lathe fully tooled I just recently bought for $12000 and the guy shipped it from CA for free. This is all high end CNC shit in very good condition!

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
Yup,I paid $3k for my two axis prototrak in primo condition!

At least with the VFD you would be able to change spindle rpm without d!@#ing around with the belts on the mill.

I was looking at a large clausing lathe where the guy removed all the old electronics and replaced with a VFD and it worked great.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Seems high to me for the equipment. Especially in this market. Look at what equipment is going for on auction sites. You will be suprised!  :o

I'll agree that there may be better deals out there, but this is the best I have found that I can see and deal on in person.  There just doesn't seem to be that much equipment around here up for grabs unless you know somebody and apparently I don't.

Just to be clear.  When I left we were at $7500 for both the mill and the lathe and the benches/cabinets and the tooling.  That's less than one bare machine new.  It's also better equipment than what I was considering buying new.  The guy seemed open to a lower offer if the cash was in front of him.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:47:22 AM by Boostinjdm »
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
Well....we arrived at $7250 and he is paying for the forklift rental and will have it at his place ready to go.  Will be picking up fri or sat depending on when the forklift will be available.May not be the best deal in the world, but I think it is reasonable and a lot of the tooling was still in the boxes or barely used (looked new).  I spotted a few more items worth a few hundred bux each.  It's going to take me two trips to get the stuff home.  I figure I'll give him half when the lathe and tooling hits my trailer and the rest when the mill hits the trailer.  Seems only fair to me anyways.

On a side note...I had a hell of a time sleeping last night.  I can't imagine it's going to get any better till the equipment is up and running and/or the debt is paid.

Any tips on strapping this stuff down and transporting?  The mill is what concerns me the most.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
I cant say for the tooling but Im sure that alone makes it a good deal as tooling can sure add up!

For strapping down, I use a chain and binder on the mill base and a heavy strap over the top...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »
Do you run the knee down tight on a block or just lock it?  I see a strap over the knee.  Anything way up at the top of the column?  I am assuming I need to lock the x, y, and quill. Correct?  They are both sitting on heavy duty pallets. Are those ok for transport?  Dunnage would be better, but the pallets are sturdy and I can drive as slow and easy as I need to.  The pallets will definately make loading and unloading easier.

Things I spotted today were a dividing head, two jacobs keyless chucks on arbors that appeared unused, and a few more tool holders and endmills.  I won't know exactly what I have untill I get it home.  Since we agreed on a price, I tried to give the guy some of the money so I could bring the tooling home tonight.  He insisted I pick it up all together.  Kinda makes me a little leary.  I told him just to leave it as is and I will box it up myself and I tried to at least make a mental note of the more expensive items that were there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »
Here is a pic of a new mill like this one with the Accu-rite DRO and x powerfeed for those that don't want to look it up.
http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/75/73/71/757371354_640.jpg

And the lathe.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/zoom_images/142276.jpg

I was going to take some pics while I was there, but couldn't get a good angle in the guys garage.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Personally I think you did fine.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Personally I think you did fine.

I think so too. ;D  Not "great", but "fine" or "OK".  I think I got the stuff at or just below fair price.  Not at a deal of a lifetime price like some of you fookers. kick

Anyways, the deal isn't official till the stuff is in my possession.  Until then, I'm keeping a tight grip on my cash cuz it's....well....cash.  Once you hand it over, you can't take it back like a check or credit card.

Recently I did get one of those deals of a lifetime though.  I'll have to start a thread.....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:00:30 PM by Boostinjdm »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »
Any preferences on mounting feet/machine mounts?  I'd rather not bolt them down.  I've set a side an area of concrete with no cracks, but it is hand troweled so some shimming will be involved.

Doug, how many amps did that 10hp draw.  Trying to figure out where I'm going to plug in at.  I've got welding outlets good for 50 amps or a line run over to that area already good for 30.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »
Your equip will have electric info on the motors.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
and epoxy anchors.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Your equip will have electric info on the motors.

I know the mill and lathe will have info on the tag, but am confused about how that is compared to the input requirements of the RPC.  I keep finding conflicting info from other sources.

Example:  The lathe may require 30 amps @ 230v 3ph, but the RPC will require 40 amps input @ 230v 1ph to produce it. 

I know there will be some losses due to efficiency, but is that it?  I keep reading and getting more confused.  I plan on calling phase converter manufacturers directly tomorrow after I get the equip home.  Would just like a little heads up first.  Fork lift is lined up for noon or so.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »
Drop the knee all the way down and lock it, no need to block it. I usually flip the heads over as it lowers the overall height and CG a lot. Strapping like the picture Doug posted.

Installing.... Set it on the floor and shim it level and so it doesn't rock. The get some good caulking and caulk the base to the floor to keep all the crap out from underneath it.

Lathe, get a good level and check the bed end for end when your leveling it. If you have a beam style torque wrench you should be able to see similar torque readings to turn all the leveling screws when you get it level. This will ensure equal loading on the feet and a non flexing frame............

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 05:54:47 AM »
I know the mill and lathe will have info on the tag, but am confused about how that is compared to the input requirements of the RPC.  I keep finding conflicting info from other sources.

Example:  The lathe may require 30 amps @ 230v 3ph, but the RPC will require 40 amps input @ 230v 1ph to produce it. 

I know there will be some losses due to efficiency, but is that it?  I keep reading and getting more confused.  I plan on calling phase converter manufacturers directly tomorrow after I get the equip home.  Would just like a little heads up first.  Fork lift is lined up for noon or so.
You must use the info on the RPC motor then. Most honest RPC makers will tell you you need approx 150% more RPC hp  than your machine. In other words if your machine is 5 hp then you need a 7.5 hp rpc. On a true digital such as PhasePerfect you need not oversize. The PhasePerfect units are unfortunately the most expensive option. A   rpc will serve you well tho.   
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal