Author Topic: Drill press  (Read 2845 times)

Snoopy

Drill press
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
Just wanted a few thoughts please.
Building a buggy and I'm considering buying a drill press.
Is it one of those tools that once you have it you wonder how you ever did without ?
There's two I've been looking at. One is a 10 inch with a 3 amp motor and the other is the 12 inch with a 5 amp motor and speed adjustment on the fly. ( both box store items, nothin too fancy ) Which one would be better and will it be good for notching tube or am I still going to want a notcher ?  I'm not looking to Heimify my garage for building, I just want tools that will help with the quality of my builds. Thanks for the advice. Snoopy

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: Drill press
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
Just wanted a few thoughts please.
Building a buggy and I'm considering buying a drill press.
Is it one of those tools that once you have it you wonder how you ever did without ?
There's two I've been looking at. One is a 10 inch with a 3 amp motor and the other is the 12 inch with a 5 amp motor and speed adjustment on the fly. ( both box store items, nothin too fancy ) Which one would be better and will it be good for notching tube or am I still going to want a notcher ?  I'm not looking to Heimify my garage for building, I just want tools that will help with the quality of my builds. Thanks for the advice. Snoopy

rofl  Why not??  In all serious... If your going to spend some money on anything, Be sure your spending it well, It seems that now days there are so many cheaply made tools and equipment that it is easy to buy garbage when trying to save some cash, A drill press is an awesome machine and very handy to have at your immediate disposal. If you are planning to buy it for tube notching only, Be sure it is a good rigid unit. Variable speed on the fly is a huge plus!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
 I agree and 3 and 5 amp will not be up to the task of notching
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
I'm not normally a fan of Harbor freight, but I've had one of their 20" floor model drill presses for a few years now and am happy with it.  It did need a better chuck, but I use it daily without trouble.

I wish I had one of these at home.  We picked up one at work for $500 that needed some TLC.  Don't remember what brand it was, but it had a 4 ft swing and tap function.  It was awesome.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
I have been looking at a new drill press myself but thinking I am gonna wait till after I move so I don't have to haul it. My old one will do for now.

That said I have seen a LARGE range of quality for a similiar price in the cheap range (under $200) and above that (Under $400) its a better set of machines but again quality varied greatly. Don't buy one till you look a all in our price range. I aint looked at above this price cause really I don't need it. But would if I had extra bucks laying around.

For notching are you talking about just mounting a holesaw notcher in it or are you thinking of a hole saw and vice only? A holesaw nothcer may work in a lower power model if you aint in a hurry.

GET ONE WITH 16 SPEEDS..... (Or a variable) but the reason I am looking for a new one myself is the one I have is five speeds only and to fast for large bore holes (about 550-600 rpm slowest speed) and it kills large bits. You will rarley use the high ends speeds (IMO) as much as lower speeds come in handy. I wish for one that will go as slow as 250 rpm or so or slower.

On high speed mine whines like a turbine at the highest speed. You can actually hear and feel the air around the chuck. Might be good for a buffer and polishing but worthless other than that. Even its slowest speed is almost to fast for small holes. 

Just my thoughts of late on my own lookings for a new drill press.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:33:37 AM »
I'll vouch for this one.  It's the one I have.  I got it on sale and didn't get hit with the extra freight charge.  Ya might want to locate one of their famous 20% off coupons and call on the freight.  I seem to remember it being crazy low.  They figured freight by the cost of the item or something.  Came in a big truck anyway and was unloaded with a forklift.  Do not assemble it by yourself.  Get help.  It's a two man job.  I just about killed myself setting the head on top of the column.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-speed-floor-production-drill-press-39955.html
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »
If I were looking for a drill press I would certianly consider picking that one up  ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
I'd look for an older ,used ,quality DP if you can find one. With all the shops closing their doors there's bound to be one somewhere.. Probably nothing wrong with the HF one shown but it seems like all of the cheaper units(no matter the maker) are made from real junk cast iron.  IMO some HF stuff is OK so long as you don't wish to use it  to the same capacity as a higher quality unit of simi;ar size/power.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Snoopy

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkc/R-100037270/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

This is the homo depot unit I was thinking of buying but from what you guys have said, I don't think it's big enough and it won't adjust on the fly.  Build quality is excellent though.  Gotta run guys, thanks for the help.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
Like Fabr said you can often find a nice older unit that is better than most any you can buy today if you look on Craigs List in your nek of the woods.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

If you are not moving anytime soon you often see nice big heavy units that would be worth buying on Craigs list for the price IF you only have to move it once!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
I had a powermatic. Ifyou can find one of them that would be a good unit too IMO.

Snoopy

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »
just an update here. Here's the Drill Press I purchased. Got it used and it took everything I had not to jump up and down when the guy told me the price. I calmly handed over the cash and then made muhuhaha noises most of the way home with the press in the back of the truck. Gotta love yard sales, 30 BUCKS. it could use a little cleaning and maybe a secondary belt but thats about it. and as was noted by some in here about the spindle speed, it goes as low as 195 and as high as 3500 ( at least thats the claim on the tag ) but she works like a champ. ;D  and oh yeah, no chuck key of course. LOL    thanks for lookin, snoopy

ps. and yes I realize it's not the full size press that was suggested but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. This one can help me decide if I need to drop some coin on a bigger one.  Thanks for the advice on the thread guys
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:55:43 PM by Snoopy »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
Killer deal! Now ,aren't you glad you checked out the used stuff?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
Good score. I woulda done the same.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
Hell yeah... $30  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal