Author Topic: Boostinjdm's Tools  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Boostinjdm's Tools
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
I've been waiting to hear back if the house is sold or not, so in the mean time I get to work on my own stuff in the garage again.  I was working on my dump trailer, but I get sidetracked easily.

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and finally said what the hell and got started.  My miller 251 has a spool gun and I have an extra regulator, so I figured if I could get both my 75/25 and argon bottles on the cart then I would be ready to roll with either steel or alum.  I use 125 bottles for everything and the cart wasn't quite wide enough to fit both bottles on it.  First step is to remove the cart from the welder.  I thought it was an add on deal, but I quickly found out that it was an integral part of the welder. :o  I wasn't sure I could disconnect everything and remember how it all went back together since none of the wires were labeled.  So out came the old table cloth trick.  I used boards and carefully slid them between the bottom tray and the welder components.  Once the board was in place, I slid the bottom tray out from under.  Then I started laying out and cutting what I wanted.  I had to add a little material to the sides of the tray and then formed a piece of 1/8"x2" material for a lip to keep the bottles on.  Tig welded it all and then painted.  I started an upper bottle retainer out of alum too, I will post more as the project is completed.  I kinda have to finish this before I can do any other welding.  Unless ofcourse I want to TIG or stick everything.  The bottom tray kind of ended up resembling something,  I won't say what, but I'm sure you can see it in the pics. ;D  There are 3 different possibilities by the way. ;)
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 05:35:35 AM »
I have also been thinking of adding a 110v outlet protected by a popout breaker to my 251 and possibly a 220v outlet so I can plug my plas into it.  Any thoughts on this?  I have 1 long 220 cord, and when I am out in the driveway, I find myself unplugging one machine and plugging in the other constantly.  I figure if I piggy-backed them, I could leave them both on and just grab the gun and go.  I realize I couldn't cut and weld at the same time running off one cord, but I work alone and can only do one thing at a time anyway.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 06:01:26 AM »
Anyone we know do the modeling for the cylinder holder?? 

Made my cart from scratch, my only complaint was too small casters only like the smooth concrete.

Good work there!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 06:46:53 AM »
I didn't intend it to look that way,  it's just the way it turned out. ;D  I should have an 1/8-1/4 inch gap all the way around the cylinders and about 1.5" between them.  I figure they ought to be secure, but not tight that way.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »
I have also been thinking of adding a 110v outlet protected by a popout breaker to my 251 and possibly a 220v outlet so I can plug my plas into it.  Any thoughts on this?  I have 1 long 220 cord, and when I am out in the driveway, I find myself unplugging one machine and plugging in the other constantly.  I figure if I piggy-backed them, I could leave them both on and just grab the gun and go.  I realize I couldn't cut and weld at the same time running off one cord, but I work alone and can only do one thing at a time anyway.
Go for it.No reason not to. I like the boob job cart mods also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »
I have actually been refering to it as the ass.  It is at the back end of the welder after all.  Oh, and those little holes.....yeah you know the ones.  they were already there.  I didn't add them.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »
Suuuuure you didn't! LOL!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
Here it is so far.  Got the bottom put back on the welder.  Had to widen the axle 3" and move the power wire over so it didn't run into the bottle.  Now it's an ass with a tail. ;D  Don't know where my clearance around the bottles went, guess I didn't measure them as well as I thought.  They are a snug fit.  I also got some pics of the upper mount I am working on.  It will have the gas lines run through it and two 10" rubber bungees to secure the bottles.  I hate hearing them rattle when I move the welder around.  I haven't put the extra outlets on it yet, but I think they may end up on the front where the Blue Miller decal is.  It looks like I can make a nice alum plate to fit it.  I hate to cover up Miller though.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:30 AM »
Finally done.  Took waaaayyyyy longer than it should of, but I will have this setup for a long time so it was worth it.  Looks like I do either need to get an elbow fitting for the gas line or move the inlet over on the welder cuz it hits the bottle.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:23:18 PM by Boostinjdm »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »
Looks good.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
Progress on my press.  I got the cylinder block hung today.  Next on the list is to tie the two channels together for the table.  Having a hard time deciding how to do it.  I have lot's of 1/4" plate, I have a 4" wide flange beam, but I hate to cut two 10" pieces out of it.  Any Idea's for piecing some 1/4" together?  And that real thick plate on the floor is going on top of the table to press against.  Will prolly cut it in half and add a few notches for removing stuff from shafts.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
more pics.  testing out the new camera.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
a little more progress on the press.  Table and table pins done.  and a pic of the heavy plate.  Don't know if I will leave it there, but it is massive and free. ;D The heavy plate weighs about 170lbs according to my math and my back agrees.  The man in brown brought me my motor the other day too.  Next on the list is pump and solenoid block/valve.  I'm goin all electric on this thing so I can use foot peddal or pendant or switch right on the machine.  workin on a simple brake design also to use some materials I have layin around.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:04:41 PM by Boostinjdm »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »
Very nicely done.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
Don't know if I posted this one yet.

It was a freebie.  I had to cut it all apart and straighten the pieces, then weld it all back together nice and square.  So in the end it really wasn't as good a deal as I thought, but it works and will get me by untill my big one is done.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:13:18 PM by Boostinjdm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal