Author Topic: sand rail design  (Read 12543 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: sand rail design
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
front end kit is $1900 normally. it is set up for front brakes to bolt on but you would have to use combo link front brakes if you want them to bolt on.

one place for the brakes
https://www.kartek.com/parts/jamar-performance-combo-link-front-disc-brake-kit-with-2-piston-calipers-and-10-rotors.html

i'm not sure it would be cheap to ship one over when it runs $200 to ship half way across the US at 100 lbs and in a box 32x32x36"

the plastic rods idea is a good idea to experiment with. the spread at the frame should never be wider than at the wheel. equal to lower.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:38:09 PM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Baloo

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
so we have decided that the A arms need to be parallel to each other when viewed from the front or back of buggy  and probably about 9" apart ??

what about the spread when viewed from above, the letter A springs to mind when thinking about A arms for some reason  ;)

but at the rear the front most inner mounting point is going to fight to exist with the cylinder head so can I come straight out at 90 deg from the gearbox with the front leg and then throw the rear one right back to give it some stability. if the pivot points are in a straight line then it will be ok wont it ?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:21:36 AM by Baloo »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »
properly braced that should work. as far as 9" apart well that's your determination on what carrier you build or use. as long as it equal on the both ends then that 9" number is up to you. the upper and lower a arms do not need to be shaped the same but do need to pivot on the same parallel lines top to bottom in the center of the cv with no neg camber change in mind. 

Offline Baloo

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »
yes the 9" is just a determination at this point, which I assume is dictated by getting the hub plus caliper inside the wheel
is it a case of make the arms as far apart as possible that will still fit inside the wheel rim or is there a figure you aim for ?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
yes the 9" is just a determination at this point, which I assume is dictated by getting the hub plus caliper inside the wheel
is it a case of make the arms as far apart as possible that will still fit inside the wheel rim or is there a figure you aim for ?

this is what i always shoot for. since diff rims have diff transitions i would prob shoot 1 to 2" smaller than the rims unless you are starting with the smallest id rim.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal