Author Topic: fuel transfer  (Read 4340 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
fuel transfer
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
so on our last trip to ls i carried 2 -6gal fuel jugs and 2-5gal jugs. i had 2 gals left for the return trip home. now that was a 3 day run and it was cold so prob excessive consumption of e85 or maybe not but tired of hauling 4 jugs so i bought this last night......https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-30-Gallon-Gas-Fuel-Diesel-Caddy-Transfer-Tank-Container-w-Rotary-Pump-8-FT-Hose/879474803

this is the cheapest price i could find with free shipping!  i will make a mount on the back of the toyhauler for this and thinking of buying a second one.

anyone ever use one of these?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: fuel transfer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
hand crank pump that fills or siphons. does not give a rating on rate of transfer but i'll figure it out.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
I have 12 5gal jugs that tuck in under the cars ramps in TH. Room for a lot more when needed. Out of the way and easy to use no matter where the rail is parked.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
that would be nice.... i have the bed of my truck. had one 5 gal blow out with over 1 gal of fuel in it. i have a 35 gal fuel station under the toy hauler. i will not use it but its there and a fuel line from it to the genny compartment. no genny but wired and plumbed for one. the last fuel station i tried to use, well the gears kept swelling up and jammed the pump. that was 87 octane so not sure what e85 would do so this will work well. i'll build a mount on the back of the camper to haul it. if the gears in the pump survived e85 the 24" pump hose probably wouldn't but it's not long enough to do anything other than fill a fuel jug anyway lol and no drain valve on tank.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
By FABR @ 11:33

I was opposite,no where to put something like you bought and it is too small for my corn guzzler anyway. I think I will use at least 20 gallons a day @ LS.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
By Punkr67 @8:19 pm

I was going to put a 39 gallon fuel transfer tank on my flat trailer with my electric pump and 15' hose. I am on hold cause I plan on ordering a new enclosed with a built in fuel station.

Right now I bring a 15 gallon drum of race fuel and 5 gallon cans of race fuel for the remainder. I like that it keeps the fuel as fresh as possible but it cost more to buy it that way too
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
the fuel station under my th'er would be great and 35 gal capacity but i don't trust the hoses, o ring seals or the gears in the pump. now if i could drop it and put a bulk head drain valve and install an in tank 320 lph e85 pump i would then i could run good hose off that but that would be many hrs of work dissembling forest rivers mess to get to that starting point!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
By FABR @ 11:33

I was opposite,no where to put something like you bought and it is too small for my corn guzzler anyway. I think I will use at least 20 gallons a day @ LS.

this i don't doubt lol following fast i burned 4 to 5 gals in one run and only at 14 psi boost.

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
that would be nice.... i have the bed of my truck. had one 5 gal blow out with over 1 gal of fuel in it. i have a 35 gal fuel station under the toy hauler. i will not use it but its there and a fuel line from it to the genny compartment. no genny but wired and plumbed for one. the last fuel station i tried to use, well the gears kept swelling up and jammed the pump. that was 87 octane so not sure what e85 would do so this will work well. i'll build a mount on the back of the camper to haul it. if the gears in the pump survived e85 the 24" pump hose probably wouldn't but it's not long enough to do anything other than fill a fuel jug anyway lol and no drain valve on tank.

Have you tried sanding the gears down thinner?  I have heard removing some material thickness will make them work fine.  That 35 gal rank would be sweet if it works right.  But then the access issues mentioned, sooo...

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
not only did I sand the gears down on that first wolf pack pump but fast did then i did again, said f this and never used it again! had to pry them out all times in 3 days on 1 trip.  as they kept swelling up. laying on a floor mat in the sandburs is noooooo fun btw! that wasn't even the worst part........the worst part was the damn tank had never been used in 5 years and got a bunch of beetles or something in it so it plugged my fuel filter lol death by beetle lol i had a glass filter at that time so plugged easy but no denying what was plugging it and i believe carl saw it too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:08:40 PM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal