Author Topic: Rebuilding my Fox's  (Read 5704 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Rebuilding my Fox's
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Here Here all

Last time down at LS I noticed my car wanting to plunge way to fast and rebound even faster.  Figured I would tear down and rebuild my Fox shocks.  Called up Mark at Marks Sand Trans and ordered new lower main springs, went from 275 LB to 350 LB on the main and left the intermediate 175 LB alone. Always was to light on the main. Had to put to much air in the shock to get my ride height up.   Ordered up new valving going from 55/75 55 being compression and 75 being rebound. to 65/90. Here's the deal. I don't think I pored enough oil out of these thing.  Any on know how much oil go's in a Fox 10 inch.  Mark is on turkey day vacation and I need to get this thing back together before I go down next week end. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:12:35 PM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Rebuilding my Fox's
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
Does an inch from the top count as a cc measurement?

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
If you want a better answer check with

Tyler Scott from GD:

SuspensionTuning@Gmail.com

951/840-0202 KING Shock distributor

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Does an inch from the top count as a cc measurement?

I don't know if an inch from the top is right.  I have found a chart on the Fox site that Tell's me 5.4 inch for a 10 inch travel shock EMUL with the .875 shaft.  That is the shocks that I have.  Now is the 5.4 down to the oil from the top of the shock body or is it 5.4 inch of oil in the shock body? 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
Crikey - go and get all technical on me.....

Hold on....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:15:45 PM by Yummi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »
OK. Thanks Yummi

The 5.40 would be a measure from the open portion of the shock body down to the oil. I found that on Fox's site to.   That is a very good wright up from Pirate4x4.  First one that really explained what was the top of the valve and bottom of the valve.  Fox wanted ten bucks for a tec wright up. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
Now off to Jacksons Motor Sports Monday in Great Bend for some more oil.  I did not have enough. 

Tylerscott88

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »
I didn't read the write up on pirate 4x4 but make sure that's for an air shock not an emulsion. Air shocks are greatly effected by oil level.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
Welcome tyler. Guys,I think we have a great suspension tuning resource in Tyler. Heard nothing but good about his tuning abilities.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
I didn't read the write up on pirate 4x4 but make sure that's for an air shock not an emulsion. Air shocks are greatly effected by oil level.

Thanks Tyler.

These are the 10 inch coil over emulsions with the .875 shaft.  I think that could have been some of my problems as to I only drained out about 200 CC and I know filling them back to 5.40 from the open end put a lot more in then that. 

Tylerscott88

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
In that 3rd picture that shows the shaft that looks like an air shock shaft? AbOut 1.25"?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
In that 3rd picture that shows the shaft that looks like an air shock shaft? AbOut 1.25"?

Yes the shaft is 1.25 Marks Sand trans the people that sold me the shocks did say they were air shocks but coil over emul.  Are these the one's that only use 260 cc's of oil?

Tylerscott88

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
I'm not exactly sure the amount of oil. I'd call fox directly. These are definatlly different than .875 shaft emulsions. These shocks could hold the car up with out springs but fox made these so you could deal with heat issues. To much oil in an air shock= very very bad things.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal