Author Topic: Stud help! Or a better idea?  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Stud help! Or a better idea?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 10:55:36 PM »
Gee,ya think? Are you sure? I mean that blazing top end mph will get scary if it isn't nutzon ya know.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

rofl rofl rofl

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
Where's that friendly sarcasm icon when you need it anyway?    LOL!!!!

ask and you shall receive Sarcasm.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 08:26:26 AM »

ask and you shall receive Sarcasm.
TaDaa!!!!!!!!  Sarcasm     ;D ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »
Nutz, are you trying to put a sprocket on those style hubs?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:50:24 PM by Wyattboche »

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »
If you are how about pressing out the studs in the hub and make your own like in the pic bellow.

You can make the stud on the back to a diffrent length to suit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:59:38 PM by Wyattboche »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
Yep I need a sprocket on each hub on each side. But not totally following you Wyatt on the piscs you posted? But lets see if I am close.

Those new studs pressed in have huge backsides on them. Is it a threaded hole? That I could add a stud too?  I think thats what you are trying to show.

Prob is I cannot see the big fat round end to see if its got a hole with threads in it. Plus I would have to find studs that matched the diameter of the hub I have now. If they existed Yah I would be all over that!

Something I did today between headaches was cut a lil piece of shim stock (.010 shim stock as it was what I had handy) and curled it around a 4 inch long 1/2 inch fine thread grade 8 bolt.

The shim stock fits in the hub where I pressed the splined stud out and it allows the bolt to slide thru with only the TINIEST amount of play. I am talking very little. So little everything will line up excellantly (If I keep it under 3mph I should be fine!  :laugh: )

The fine threads of the 1/2 inch bolt also happen to match the common tapered lugnuts.

Tommorrow I plan to go to the trailer supply shop and buy the tires I have been eyeing (Been hopping to find a deal on some on Craigs List but all I find are old weather cracked for almost the price of new (NO THANKS!)

Once I have the tires I can measure the offset I need for my sprocket to clear the tire and go to Fastenal and just buy a bag of the bolts and the tapered lugnuts (I am low on lugnuts). I will also have to buy round stock to make spacers out of (Or have Doug make me some... If I could  :-*) to space the sprocket out and it should be a bolt together affair once I find the sprocket set I need (been looking for that today on evilbay)  Thinking #35 chain be strong enough.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
I was trying to say is have some custom studs made to suit your hub. I'm not sure what dia. your studs are. I found this pdf on highlifter.com's website. here is the pdf
Hope this clears up what I'm trying to say.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
Not sure where to get custom studs made but maybe an idea (Cost I wonder?). I will take a peek at the link there you posted. Its PDf and my dailup will load it but it will likely take me a bit. Thanks for it. It might shed a new light on it fer me.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
Here is a pic of the kit for my rubicon front disc conversion. Circled in red are the new studs for the disc conversion.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:05:31 PM by Wyattboche »

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »
Not sure where to get custom studs made but maybe an idea (Cost I wonder?). I will take a peek at the link there you posted. Its PDf and my dailup will load it but it will likely take me a bit. Thanks for it. It might shed a new light on it fer me.
maybe the master him self Doug Heim  mm:

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
I was trying to say is have some custom studs made to suit your hub. I'm not sure what dia. your studs are. I found this pdf on highlifter.com's website. here is the pdf
Hope this clears up what I'm trying to say.
So basicly replace the disc rotor with a sprocket. Bolt the sprocket to the new studs that are pressed into the hubs. The only thing is trying to fiqure how long to make the new studs?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Sorry took a bit to Dl the PDF file (You seem to have a much faster connection than my ripping dialup out there)

But yes those studs would be near PERFECT if I can get them in the right size! I will call High lifter products tomorrow to see if they have them in the diameter I am looking for to press into my hubs.

Don't think I did not think of asking Doug if he could ZAP something out. I thought about it more than once!

Heck If I KNEW the proper back spacing I need (I will not till I buy the tire know its precise measurement) I could have ones made that were the perfect length. But even if I need to space them I can live with that.

Thank you MUCH!

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
Sorry took a bit to Dl the PDF file (You seem to have a much faster connection than my ripping dialup out there)
Ya we have cable dsl

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Nutz you ever fiqure it out?

LiveWire

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
What about using ATV front hubs and making the sprockets bolt to the brake rotor mounts?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal