Author Topic: skins  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
skins
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:09 AM »
almost every buggy i have seen has had aluminum side panels and sometimes a roof.   where do you get big sheets of thin aluminum skin?  can you just paint it or does it need to be powder coated?   -Matt
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

VLADD

Re: skins
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »
VDC4,
Any metals distributer should have or be able to get you 4' x 8' sheets, As far as painting goes a light scuff with 3m scotch bright and a self etching primer will get the paint to stick

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
If I remember right, your building a woods cruiser?
I use that Nascar plastic...It's pretty easy to work with cuts with a good sharp razor blade, or in the shear, even a tin snips...Can be broke inna brake to 90* (if you warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun)
Comes in a shit load of colors...Almost impossible to dent or break...and it tends to slide or glance off of stuff where aluminum or thin steel sheets will fold,buckle and keep catching what it is that you just hit...It comes in rolls that are 24" wide and however long you want...That is the drawback I haven't found it any wider than that anywhere

borris

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »
VDC4,
Any metals distributer should have or be able to get you 4' x 8' sheets, As far as painting goes a light scuff with 3m scotch bright and a self etching primer will get the paint to stick
Yeah that's what I did in the past but is the stuff even available anymore? Personally I'd powder or anodize.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
a local transmission shop owner has a sand rail with a twin turbo subaru engine, and he used some type of resilant plastic. what i didnt like about the plastic is that it tends to bow out in between your mounting points.  or is the nascar plastic different? and where do you get it?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

borris

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
I think all plastics have a fairly large expansion/contraction rate that is temperature dependent.Really hard to keep straight in larger sizes. Tough as hell though. 8)

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
Check out the 460 thread here, those are the stuff I'm talking about ... Both of those machine have bee flipped with those bodies...that stuff is touph as hell and if you warm them up and pull/stretch on the panels when riviting them on they are kinda like a drum head...Until some DOUCHE BAG... tosses some 1 ton chevy drums on the roof when it's a hundred degrees out side...That is why the roof on the purple one is all wavy and effed up...You might be able to get it thru bugsac

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »
Aluminum powdercoated, or fiberglass...Aluminum is probably far cheaper...I have seen sheets as big as 6x12...

borris

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
Check out the 460 thread here, those are the stuff I'm talking about ... Both of those machine have bee flipped with those bodies...that stuff is touph as hell and if you warm them up and pull/stretch on the panels when riviting them on they are kinda like a drum head...Until some DOUCHE BAG... tosses some 1 ton chevy drums on the roof when it's a hundred degrees out side...That is why the roof on the purple one is all wavy and effed up...You might be able to get it thru bugsac
That'd  be bugPAC not the fruedian bugSAC thingy! LOL!!!!!! Yeah bugpac is a great source for stuff. Guys,give him a call when you need something.He has access to lots of stuff.

Jabo

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:14:39 AM »
Hoe does that plastic hold up in the northern cold?

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »
They actually do pretty good in the cold, down to around zero...I've crashe into a stump and some trees at 15 below zero and cracked some panels...I would have had to replace steel or aluminum too...I do have to say they have a draw back...They don't hold stickers well...Not at all  without some help...3M emblem goop holds em on for about a season ...One other I won't say drawback It's kind a good ...kinda a bad when you get into another car with studs, they get scarred up...but aluminum gets holes chewed in it
VDC4,
HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1557,221_Colored-Plastic.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal