Author Topic: well hell  (Read 6396 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
well hell
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »
today is checkers grocery's last day in waynoka oklahoma. that is real sad as that is a damn nice place to get groceries. i cannot believe the locals and duners haven't supported that store to the point of closely if that is the case!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: well hell
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »
so it says 1 pm to 6 pm today and checkers grocery in waynoka is no more.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
I knew it was coming. Now who's dumpsters am I going to use? LOL!!!!!  FWIW,Waynoka is like most towns,no local loyalty. I recently read where only 15% of any towns population ,on average, were local loyal.Hope the towns people like grocery shopping 30 minutes away.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
I knew it was coming. Now who's dumpsters am I going to use? LOL!!!!!  FWIW,Waynoka is like most towns,no local loyalty. I recently read where only 15% of any towns population ,on average, were local loyal.Hope the towns people like grocery shopping 30 minutes away.

Our town is a fair distance to next store.  They exploit that.  They even tax food at 3%.  (Very few communities tax food) 

Sales tax on other elements is about 10% total.  Local loyal?  I am shopping for car. ( I can drive 70 miles to save $400.00 in Phoenix  (10% vs 9%) or pick a vendor out of any Town/City limits and save $1,200.00 to $1,600 in local taxes - 6% state)  on a 40k purchase.  Trip to Costco for $700.00 of food goods?  Well, the $21 dollars in "food tax" gets spent on fuel, and the offset in sales costs is worth the trip. 

Local loyal?  Just as soon as the small towns don't exploit it.   Really want some shit?  I can buy out of state, pay privilege tax direct and face only 4% fee.  So, lets see, 4,000 on 40k for total of 44k,  or avoid "local loyal," work the system and pay 41,6K.  I think I can make a day trip for $2,400.00 in lower costs. 

Local Loyal!  LMAO

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »

Our town is a fair distance to next store.  They exploit that.  They even tax food at 3%.  (Very few communities tax food) 

Sales tax on other elements is about 10% total.  Local loyal?  I am shopping for car. ( I can drive 70 miles to save $400.00 in Phoenix  (10% vs 9%) or pick a vendor out of any Town/City limits and save $1,200.00 to $1,600 in local taxes - 6% state)  on a 40k purchase.  Trip to Costco for $700.00 of food goods?  Well, the $21 dollars in "food tax" gets spent on fuel, and the offset in sales costs is worth the trip. 

Local loyal?  Just as soon as the small towns don't exploit it.   Really want some shit?  I can buy out of state, pay privilege tax direct and face only 4% fee.  So, lets see, 4,000 on 40k for total of 44k,  or avoid "local loyal," work the system and pay 41,6K.  I think I can make a day trip for $2,400.00 in lower costs. 

Local Loyal!  LMAO

That's the wrong attitude my friend. I DO agree that there should be no gouging but slightly higher pricing is justifiable in a very small town such as Waynoka of less than 1000 population. A business is just unable to generate enough cash flow to keep the doors open unless they do so. The 3% tax that you mention above what is done in the "city" is just plan inexcusable. Maybe when you get elected you can initiate changing that. All I hear in Waynoka is "why did the local lumber yard close down? We REALLY need one." Welllllll,if the bastards had patronized them it would still be there. Convenience is not appreciated until it's gone.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
Honestly,yummi,if there is no local loyalty,there will soon be no local. Wonder what that does to your home values? You better sell out now before it's too late. Move to the big city and enjoy the cheaper way of living in the rat race.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »
used to be a grocery store in the small town north of myself. never had a great selection but 9 miles is closer and a hell of a lot quicker than 22 miles to lincoln. i would prob spend $100 to 200 per month in that store.  then it changed hands and went down hill. then closed up.

now checkers in waynoka didn't even need to rely on local loyalty . the duners alone could easily support that store especially since 2015 when the doin the dunes and sand fever started. that's two more party weekends other than sand fest and rattle snake and now theres 3 huge weekend parties for utv's and then sand fest and rattle snake round up. so i guess the duners don't frequent the grocery store. i know i did and it will be missed. there was always something i would just say we'll get it in town when we get there.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »
Honestly,yummi,if there is no local loyalty,there will soon be no local. Wonder what that does to your home values? You better sell out now before it's too late. Move to the big city and enjoy the cheaper way of living in the rat race.

The kicker, I try local first.  Seldom if ever works.  At what point is it OK?  When does it become my responsibility to take care of me? 

The car example above?  First stop local dealer.  They cant get within 3k of the price.  I like the guys, many have been to the house for BBQ.  They admit if it was their money they would not, but push local first as a narrative / sales tactic.   Friend owns a gun store - $35.00 for FFL transfer.  Or, buy from him at full retail (I do occasionally) and pay full tax.  Chicken breast is $4.25 a pound here vs $3.27 in Phoenix.  Plus local food tax!  I don't see local business selling local goods.  Hell, even the Chamber of Commerce outsources accounting to India.  So exactly at what point do I pay attention to their "buy local" campaign?  At what point do you? 

Nobody said business would be easy.  While I can give some slack to "local" the reality is I have an obligation to me and mine before them and theirs. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:19:21 PM by Yummi »

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
Checkers sort of sealed their fate when they started to not be open when duners were needing them. I couldn't believe all the comments about that the last time I stayed at dueces. To only be open till 6 was just stupid when many if not most are still in the dunes. The owners are very nice people but they cared more for themselves than the much more important customers needs. Far too many self employed make that mistake.i mean checkers could have closed afternoons and mornings and not been an issue. Late afternoon and nights,no way. Hutch,the original owner made himself wealthy in that store by keeping the customers needs a priority.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »

The kicker, I try local first.  Seldom if ever works.  At what point is it OK?  When does it become my responsibility to take care of me? 

The car example above?  First stop local dealer.  They cant get within 3k of the price.  I like the guys, many have been to the house for BBQ.  They admit if it was their money they would not, but push local first as a narrative / sales tactic.   Friend owns a gun store - $35.00 for FFL transfer.  Or, buy from him at full retail (I do occasionally) and pay full tax.  Chicken breast is $4.25 a pound here vs $3.27 in Phoenix.  Plus local food tax!  I don't see local business selling local goods.  Hell, even the Chamber of Commerce outsources accounting to India.  So exactly at what point do I pay attention to their "buy local" campaign?  At what point do you? 

Nobody said business would be easy.  While I can give some slack to "local" the reality is I have an obligation to me and mine before them and theirs. 

respectfully,yummi, it is that general reason why small towns are dying. No,I do not condone " gouging "as in your car example,but the chicken example is a bit silly. You make a very decent income from what I see and are well able to afford patronizing your local grocery. If almost all citizens did the same the local grocery should be able to lower their margins. But,as more and more people chose to not patronize them the prices will continue to escalate till they are ultimately forced to close ,driving yet another nail in the city coffin. Maybe Payson will not die but it will not thrive. Waynoka will ultimately die though with nothing left but RV parks.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
these are all the events for the rest of the sand season at LS .....just to paint a picture.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
Checkers sort of sealed their fate when they started to not be open when duners were needing them. I couldn't believe all the comments about that the last time I stayed at dueces. To only be open till 6 was just stupid when many if not most are still in the dunes. The owners are very nice people but they cared more for themselves than the much more important customers needs. Far too many self employed make that mistake.i mean checkers could have closed afternoons and mornings and not been an issue. Late afternoon and nights,no way. Hutch,the original owner made himself wealthy in that store by keeping the customers needs a priority.

interesting point. i did know that they closed at 6 pm and never cared really as i knew to get in there before 6pm. now the ones it really bothers are the ones used to the convenience of the 24 hrs super stores. during peak dune season and especially like sand fest or doing the dunes  type party weekends i would think that store would change hrs and stay open until 10 or 11pm.   still most people with common sense see open till 6 and go ok need to get there before 6 pm lol hard to imagine the money lost by not staying open late during the 1 of 6 big weekends now going on as of 2016 to 2015.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »
respectfully,yummi, it is that general reason why small towns are dying. No,I do not condone " gouging "as in your car example,but the chicken example is a bit silly. You make a very decent income from what I see and are well able to afford patronizing your local grocery. If almost all citizens did the same the local grocery should be able to lower their margins. But,as more and more people chose to not patronize them the prices will continue to escalate till they are ultimately forced to close ,driving yet another nail in the city coffin. Maybe Payson will not die but it will not thrive. Waynoka will ultimately die though with nothing left but RV parks.

Again, we try local first every time.  The local Walmart (yes shame on me for shopping the corporate giant)  does not "price match" as they don't have to.  Every other one does. 

As to the "you make a decent income...and are well able to afford."  That may well be true.  Of course using the same logic I am "well able to afford" a higher marginal tax rate.  I guess 80% ought to work?   Maybe a tax on "net worth" as well?  The chicken example, assume we eat 200#s a year.  That is $200.00 plus 3% food tax.  $206.00 per year.  Carry that out to a variety of routine purchases?   

Blaming small town death on consumers is easy.  Like blaming Amazon for the decline of brick and mortar.  Nobody prevented Sears or J.C. Penny's from adapting.  Nobody.  So when someone bemoans their fate (not directed at you) and then says "you are well able to afford" what I hear is, shucks, we made poor choices, bail us out cause you can.  Again, not directed at you or local retailers - BTW I shop ACE before Home Depot. 

I have no obligation to spend more because we are "able to afford."   LMAO

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
not that this is part of your discussion but i cannot see why people shop amazon! they are not the cheapest for damn sure, they do not provide and real info on the item, you cannot contact them and ask as you will never get the answer. they have quicker shipping if you are a member of prime. 99% of the time i can find the item i am looking for for less money and with a decent to full description on ebay which is sad. usually 4 to 5 days delivery. if it was sold local i would pay 10% more for the ability to drive in , view it, inspect it and the ability to return it if it fails. hell 12% would even be worth it for that huge convenience imo.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
not that this is part of your discussion but i cannot see why people shop amazon! they are not the cheapest for damn sure, they do not provide and real info on the item, you cannot contact them and ask as you will never get the answer. they have quicker shipping if you are a member of prime. 99% of the time i can find the item i am looking for for less money and with a decent to full description on ebay which is sad. usually 4 to 5 days delivery. if it was sold local i would pay 10% more for the ability to drive in , view it, inspect it and the ability to return it if it fails. hell 12% would even be worth it for that huge convenience imo.
BINGO.  Yummi,I gotta get some things done. I'll reply Tonite.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal