Author Topic: Dan & Kyle's father and son project !!  (Read 14912 times)

hemi43

Re: Dan & Kyle's father and son project !!
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:03 AM »
Hey Dan just a quick question off topic, you mentioned that you might do a section on a build of a CNC mill are you still gonna do that? Just I'm very interested...

I already made a CNC mill, and was thinking about making a CNC plasma cutter.
Unfortunately that project has been put on the back burner for a while, because I think I will concentrate on building another buggy.
This buggy I just finished was originally just supposed to be just a go-kart for my son to have fun with on our property, but I'm now thinking of building another for myself so that we can both go out into the trails and have fun.
 If you're at all interested in building a CNC mill, I'll try and pass along anything that I've learned .
Dan

Offline lupus1

• Peon extrordinaire
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »
That ram air fan is for a Honda car. A car would have more power than a bike.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need one to skydive twice.

hemi43

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
That ram air fan is for a Honda car. A car would have more power than a bike.

IMHO, that fan is just another useless piece of Chinese junk on the market, and a lot of unsuspecting buyers will get duped into buying it.
Plain common sense will tell you that it wont work !!
-the motor will never be able to deliver the volume and pressure to develop 3PSI of boost
-Turbo charging or supercharging varies it's boost relative to the engine RPM. This electric fan does not do that !! It's either on or off
-If it is in fact 900 watts, that would equate to approx 1.2 HP, or about the same as a large starter motor. Try putting a 10 amp fuse inline with your starter and see what happens !! ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »
10 amps @ 12 volts will only give you 120 watts of power.
My calculations are right !!
That's assuming that the motor is in fact 900 watts !!

I can't find where they state that the motor uses a 10 amp fuse! ???
I think there's a bit of B/S on their part stating that the  motor is rated at 900 watt ;)

10 amps @ 12 volts will only give you 120 watts of power.
My calculations are right !!
That's assuming that the motor is in fact 900 watts !!

I can't find where they state that the motor uses a 10 amp fuse! ???
I think there's a bit of B/S on their part stating that the  motor is rated at 900 watt ;)

I'm sorry,I thought I saw a 10 amp fuse but must not have. I'm not even saying use that unit. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of fans out there capable of providing some benefit to small engines. Most of them run at 5 amps or so. THey would not provide any pressure as such. I doubt that the one in the link does either. What they COULD provide is ram air just like a hood scoop does.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Here is some food for thought.  Again it's for a briggs, not a honda, but all the info is good and for the most part nickel and dime stuff.  It's a step by step buildup with dyno results for a "box stock" class engine.  That basically means that an engine like this could come right off the assembly line.  There are some changes specific to racing, but could easily be done to a toy like cam, exhaust, and fuel.  Keep in mind that with no rule book requirements, there is soooo much more you can do.  I have prolly already posted this somewhere, but I get a kick out of it every time.  Final output was 170% of original. So here it is...

http://www.aviator.cc/briggs.txt
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
The NHRA junior dragsters Briggs are ,I think, putting out  a fair bit more than  also. I agree with your point. Hell just nitrous it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

hemi43

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »
Here is some food for thought.  Again it's for a briggs, not a honda, but all the info is good and for the most part nickel and dime stuff.  It's a step by step buildup with dyno results for a "box stock" class engine.  That basically means that an engine like this could come right off the assembly line.  There are some changes specific to racing, but could easily be done to a toy like cam, exhaust, and fuel.  Keep in mind that with no rule book requirements, there is soooo much more you can do.  I have prolly already posted this somewhere, but I get a kick out of it every time.  Final output was 170% of original. So here it is...

http://www.aviator.cc/briggs.txt

That was an excellent article, and very well written !!
Unfortunately I don't have a dyno, so I'll just have to use the "seat of the pants " method. ;D ( it would be cool to build a small dyno, though! )
I will try and add a few more plates to the Super Trap to reduce back pressure, and add the 28mm Mikuni.Any machine work will wait till Spring.
Dan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal