Author Topic: Dan & Kyle's father and son project !!  (Read 14851 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Dan & Kyle's father and son project !!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 07:13:54 AM »
Ummm,where's the safety glasses?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

hemi43

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
Safety glasses and hearing protection is worn 99% of the time in my shop !! The 1 % is only for photo shots !! :-) Thanks for bringing that up.

I was not aware about the different sheave angles on polaris !! :-( I will be doing more research on that, because the clutch has not been purchased yet.
Hmmm !! I got the tranny from a huge polaris dealer ( he's actually a friend that owns it ), and he's the one that mentioned the Comet 94c. He's been in business for eons, so one would think that he may have known that !! Oh well, it will just be another hurdle to overcome.
I got tons done today, (Sat), so I hope to throw more pics up.
Thanks for the tips guys.
Dan

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
As mentioned I do not know the angle of the sheaves is different.

I mentioned it one time I was going to use a Polaris quad tranny behind a Ski Doo sled motor and was told the angles were different.

I still am curious is this was true or not. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

hemi43

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

hemi43

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Here's pictures of this weekends progress. I'm hoping to get the cross bracing done this week, then I'll move to rear part of the kart.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:07:38 PM by hemi43 »

chrishallett83

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »
I can see design influences (whether intentional or sub-conscious) from a couple of different buggies in that chassis already mate! Looks great, all the best with your build!

Actually, while I'm commenting, why not make the rear end of the frame a little bigger, so you can swap in a motorcycle drivetrain in the future?

hemi43

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »
Thanks Chris !!
Actually there's quite a bit of room, and I did that intentionally. If I do put a larger engine into it in the future, I would not put in a motorcycle engine but one from an ATV. I love the way CVTs perform and the kart would be already set up for it anyway.
You're right about the different influences. I like the look of the Barracuda, but I could not copy it 100% because of the size of my build. Right now it kinda looks like those swamp buggies from Florida !!
Western Australia EH !! You can't be any further away from me !!  :-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:03:36 AM by hemi43 »

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
I picked out the influences right away. Influenced or not. Your doing some great quality work there. Great little machine you have started!

hemi43

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11:04 AM »
I have to give "Lance W" the credit !! I stole most of my ideas from his "Samantha" build pictures. He even had cad drawings in his photo album.  ;D
Actually, I have about a dozen pictures that I printed from his album with me as I build this buggy, but I make sure I hide them when I take pictures so that everyone will think that I'm building something unique !!
Shhh.. Don't tell anyone !! LOL

hemi43

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
OK, I got a little more progress done today. It's hard to get motivated during the week, because I would rather kick back with a couple of beers after work !! :)

The front half of the cage is more or less done, so I figured I would start on the rear.
I machined the flat plates on my CNC ( everyone has a CNC at home, don't they? ) which will get welded together to form the housing for the rear suspension

I actually built that CNC last year from an old NC mill. I used my old home PC for the brains and other parts which I got online. The only original electrical part that is still used are the servo motors.

A little deburring and the part is done !! ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:13:50 PM by hemi43 »

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
Nice work.   This is going to make someone very happy. ;D

Also it's good to hear of people making or converting their own machines, so feel free to put up any info you want about it, or it's creation.  Maybe start a new thread if you don't want to clutter this one up. 
Thanks for the inspiration.

hemi43

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
Yeah I don't think this is the right place to be talking about machine equipment. I will add, that once I'm done with this go-kart, I will be building a CNC plasma table. If there's enough interest here, I will post build pics in the "Machine Shop" section of dtsfab/
Dan

SPEC

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
Have at er Hemi...I haven't had time to post on this thread but I think your doing a great job ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 06:52:33 AM »
Yeah I don't think this is the right place to be talking about machine equipment. I will add, that once I'm done with this go-kart, I will be building a CNC plasma table. If there's enough interest here, I will post build pics in the "Machine Shop" section of dtsfab/
Dan
Please do so!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 07:24:01 AM »
Cool lets get into the CNC stuff!!  MAN I thought Doug had a well equipped garage
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:42:53 AM by Reidy02 »
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal