Author Topic: trailer tires  (Read 8561 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
trailer tires
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
So these are 2 yr old tires on my trailer.  This is worst tire, but all 4 show similar wear.  WTF???
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Lance-W

Re: trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
Lack of pressure?

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
65psi.  These are ST tires.  Load D I think.

Someone mentioned biasply tire will do that to help with sway??  Dont find a marking on tire.  Cheap ass tire.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »
They're all cheap ass tires nowadays.  I just bought newer bigger ones for mine.  I couldn't find anything that wasn't made in China.  It was actually cheaper to buy tires and wheels than it was to buy tires, pay for disposal of the old ones, and mounting of the new ones.  Pay attention to the ply count when you buy new ones...............

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
That is pretty chewed up, have you checked to make sure the axles are actually lined up?

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
Havnt checked axle alignment, but thats deff on list.  These are 5200 axles, and trailer has never had more than 7k trailer and cargo.  First 2 trips to LS they looked fine, noticed a little wear before last trip, but much worse after I got home.

Prob a total of 10k miles, hwy and I pull at about 70.

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
i get axle alignment first (imo) seen that too many times

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
lack of pressure would do that to both outsides of tire

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
Havnt checked axle alignment, but thats deff on list.  These are 5200 axles, and trailer has never had more than 7k trailer and cargo.  First 2 trips to LS they looked fine, noticed a little wear before last trip, but much worse after I got home.

Prob a total of 10k miles, hwy and I pull at about 70.

Not the tires fult.  You have hit a chuck hole just right and the axle is bent in the middle.  Take it to and alignment shop and get them fixed and you'll be good to go.  They should be bowed just a little at the middle but it is beyond that. Put a big square up against the tire and see how much light there is between the square and the bottom of the tire.  they are riding on the outside edge.  Yor welcome.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
only seen this once on my personal trailer and twice on two boat trailers. mine is a utility trailer single axle, 8.5' x 12' with a 3500 lb axle. 3 years old and the outside tread was gone on both sides of each tire. took it in to the tire shop to a guy i knew and trusted and he said there bias ply tires and were supposedly designed to help reduce sway but actually increase sway on a single axle.  that is what chew'd the sides off.  i had radial's installed that day and 8 years later there is only even tire wear and many many more thousands of miles on them than the first 3 years. several people said over inflation or under or over loaded or bent axle but in my case i know for a fact it was the cheap ass bias ply tires. i've seen this a few times on boat trailers as well and radials fixed those problems as well. 1 single axle boat trailer and the other was tandem. this is my best guess in this case judging from what i saw at the dunes. the tires had a chop to the tread as well, a slight chop that reminds me of a tire on the rear of a front wheel drive car that has never been rotated.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
i should add that when i have seen this ( just like the second pic) that all the tires looked just as bad as the other and not 1 more than the other. glenn could also be right since there is a slight chance the trailer may have seen some air on a certain bridge lol lol if it bottomed out and the axle hit the frame it could've bent them. not sure though. it is just odd that it's the outside edge tread that is eating off which is like what i have seen with bias ply.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »
The inside edges are eaten away some too, just not as bad.  There is a feathering going around the tire too.  They are bias tire.  Gonna replace with "E" range.  Or maybe if I use "Carl's luck" I can get another trip?   LMAO LMAO

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
there is  carl luck and murphy's law  LMAO i would get the axles checked as well for straightness and def 10 ply radials

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:18 PM »
I think I got the carl luck this trip bud. Bias trailer tires did that on my boat. Put radials on and never had a problem. But check the axle as well. Especially with this bridge someone speaks of....
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
The outside wearing faster would be normal. The axle has a bend to it so as it flexes the tire becomes perpendicular to the ground. Empty the top would tip out from the trailer. Under full load it theoretically would be perpendicular to the ground. On my new little trailer I went straight to radials.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal