Author Topic: Caliper position  (Read 7513 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Caliper position
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
OK,I need some input/opinions of the pros/cons of different  caliper clock position as it applies to an a-arm independent  rear suspension. Caliper front,caliper top,caliper rear.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Caliper position
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:32:27 PM »
Sorta subscribing to this as I wish to see if anyone has a good arguement on it.

I do not see one lick of differance. You mount it where the bleed screw is up and thats should be all thats required "I THINK"!

It will generate the same force at any spot on the disc and trasfer it to the hub assembly just the same. (again I think this) 

The only plus is in board vs outboard with inboard being better but thats not what you be askin....

Thats my take on it. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
I would think puting it towards the top front (think 2:30) would be best for keeping sand out.  Could be bad if you rip your wheel off on impact, but I guess you would have worse problems then anyway..
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Pacman

• Resident Smart Ass
  • Fabricator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »
Straight on top....12:00. Keeps it out of the way of the stuff you drive over....use a vacuum to bleed it if you have to.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »
Won't front or rear mount make the car want to squat or rise depending on front or rear mount when braking?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
Won't front or rear mount make the car want to squat or rise depending on front or rear mount when braking?

It all rotates around the same axis.  if the caliper was mounted to your arms, I would say yes.  Hopfully it's mounted to your bearing carrier/upright.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

I do not see how. Its transmitting a turning force to the whole assembly. So front or rear its just gonna try to turn it the same direction.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
Straight on top....12:00. Keeps it out of the way of the stuff you drive over....use a vacuum to bleed it if you have to.

I would also vote for 12:00 IF it is not in the way of other mounts.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
I do not see much to gain from it being at the 12:00 position myself.
Unless the bleed screw was set to where it was highest at the 12:00 position. If you really run in that bad of terrain mounting it on the back would take care of it. Even on the front side of the bearing carrier for somthing to hit it to damage it its already tore the front end up most likely.

Thats if its not inside the rim. If it was then it really would not matter.   

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »
if it was mounted on the back it would be a dust/sand collector.  Mounting on the front would allow the casting to shield the pads.  If the bleed screw isn't at the very tip top that's okay.  park it on a hill or jack it up to bleed.  I've even unbolted calipers and bled them, then bolted them back on.  you just have to have a spacer in between the pads.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »
if it was mounted on the back it would be a dust/sand collector.  Mounting on the front would allow the casting to shield the pads.  If the bleed screw isn't at the very tip top that's okay.  park it on a hill or jack it up to bleed.  I've even unbolted calipers and bled them, then bolted them back on.  you just have to have a spacer in between the pads.

I don't see it. With the CV in the way and a better part of the bearing assembly that will defelct most of anything flying in there anyways. If you bury it in the sand it will get sand in it front or rear or top even.

Even mud lovers get mud in them no matter what. Where its at makes little differance.

Bleeder up is still my fav. 

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »
Bleeders up!   I agree.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 06:03:11 AM »
I think you guys are missing something. Maybe I'm wrong tho and that's why I'm asking. Rear mount is going to impart  an upward force  on the a arms due to the rear mount of the caliper.  THe opposite is true for front mount?Or am I full of crap?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »
I think you guys are missing something. Maybe I'm wrong tho and that's why I'm asking. Rear mount is going to impart  an upward force  on the a arms due to the rear mount of the caliper.  THe opposite is true for front mount?Or am I full of crap?

Crap!!!

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Torque is what the brake applies to the upright.  It is either clockwise or counterclockwise depending if you were going forward or back when the brake is applied.  Doesn't matter where the caliper is clocked 360 degrees.

That being said, on say the front, the point where the heim's connect in relation to the center of the spindle will affect how much force each arm see's.......

On most design's the lower arm is connected closer to the spindle stub.  If it was connected centerline with the axle, and we assume the heims are free to rotate, the lower arm would have no affect from the brake TORQUE.  The Top arm would control all of the brake torque.  The lower arm would see all of the force induced from the tire trying to stop the car, while the top arm would see all of the torque loads.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
Well i think i read some were before a certain ford truck had the same caliper on both sides, and on one it was rear mounted, and the opposite side was front mounted, Would this lead us to believe ford engineers feel it has no difference in dive/Lift etc?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal