Author Topic: Beach buggy  (Read 7815 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Beach buggy
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
Nice work on the stretch!  I never use any host to post pics. I just attach them directly to  DTS under the additional options under the reply box. Click on Additional Options  ,click on browse,select pics you want to post from whatever file you saved them in and you are done.

I  resize my pics to about 1/3 size using paint and save them to desktop (or wherever you wish on your computer) to make the pics load faster.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
and some serious rubber

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
That it is. What's the projected weight? I'm thinking awesome HP per pound(kilo  ;) ;D ;D ).
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »
That it is. What's the projected weight? I'm thinking awesome HP per pound(kilo  ;) ;D ;D ).

not really sure on the finished weight but less than a ton I would guess, standard engine is 300bhp twin turbos will bring that up to around 450 which should be plenty

so 6" was the amount decided on to add into the width for several reasons

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »
oh i really like this one! really makes me miss my fiber glass buggy
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
not really sure on the finished weight but less than a ton I would guess, standard engine is 300bhp twin turbos will bring that up to around 450 which should be plenty

And I was about to ask if you were going to find different offset wheels. I shoulda known!!! I'm liking it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
I like your shop also. It's in a perfect state of organized disorganization. Just my style!!   8) ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »

Wow, really cool project!  How do you line the body up straight when you glue(mold/splice) it back together. 

Offline Baloo

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
Wow, really cool project!  How do you line the body up straight when you glue(mold/splice) it back together.
hi  well the length stretch was the easy one really,  the shell has flat cills ( rocker panels ? ) that allow it to sit flat on the table I made, then I screwed down  some ally angles to locate the cills and then screwed a piece of timber under the nose cone so when the front was separated it just sat there, then  I just moved it forward between the ally angles the required amount and glassed the new pieces in easy really,  but the next bit is a lot more complicated, I have tack welded 8 scissor jacks to the chassis which I can wind up and down by hand to position the body shell where I want it 
once I am happy I will try and glass/screw/bolt the body together well enough that I can put it in the spit that I originally made to rotate the rolling chassis complete, once I can get it upside down I can finish the glassing then spin it over and bondo the joins, hope that made sense

Offline Baloo

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
I like your shop also. It's in a perfect state of organized disorganization. Just my style!!   8) ;D ;D
its a bit of a mess embarrassingly but I was moving some 40' shipping containers at the weekend and I threw most of the stuff out of them in the shop to get them light enough to drag to where I wanted them

Offline Baloo

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
ok the reasons for widening the body are at least 3 fold,

1 the tyres stick out way to far past the arches
2 I couldent get the front of the body low enough as the suspension towers where fouling the body
3 the clincher:  when I dropped a pair of seats in they touched in the middle,  clearly an air cooled beetle dident need a propshaft from the gear box to the back axle  but I defiantly do so I had to make a way through for it

I don't see glassing patch panels as to difficult  the windscreen though is a different matter cant just glue a bit on  but I have a cunning plan involving a Chrysler pt crusier screen/dash/scuttle

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:55:08 PM by Baloo »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »
ok the reasons for widening the body are at least 3 fold,

1 the tyres stick out way to far past the arches
2 I couldent get the front of the body low enough as the suspension towers where fouling the body
3 the clincher:  when I dropped a pair of seats in they touched in the middle,  clearly an air cooled beetle dident need a propshaft from the gear box to the back axle  but I defiantly do so I had to make a way through for it

I don't see glassing patch panels as to difficult  the windscreen though is a different matter cant just glue a bit on  but I have a cunning plan involving a Chrysler pt crusier screen/dash/scuttle
There was a big old tunnel between the seats for the shift linkage in a beetle that should have been enough room for a prop shaft. I agree though that widening the body is a good thing. You won't regret doing it. Now for the wind screen......................................have fun . ;)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »
don't have any experience with widening a fg body as you clearly do but i do have a little Experience with windscreens lol  if it's flat....no big deal....if it's curved then you have to ask a glass shop to search by block size and the person on the phone will have to have enough experience to invision which windshield will even be close to look one up for the block size lol ;)
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
Cutting down a curved one is a bitch even if an experience glass cutter. It's not impossible by any means,just close to it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Baloo

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
hi guys
not much to report other than I have worked out what I am doing and it involves no cutting of windscreens
I have been and bought the front half of a Chrysler pt crusier ,  I know I know not well liked but hey they are a funky shape and close to  my buggy shape so the plan is to use the front bulkhead and dash board complete with the steering column pedals etc, remove the front inner wings but leave the top rail the front wings bolt to and the slam panel grill etc, now this means the bonnet will clearly fit and have hinges already there, the front scuttle panel in front of the windscreen has all the wipers washers etc hell I will be driving it next week lol

so I think I will fit the pt front bulkhead to the chassis and alter the fiberglass shell so it just drops over the screen and off we go
need to remake the front wings so they resemble the buggy ones

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal