Author Topic: TOTAL LOW BUDGET BUILD  (Read 20943 times)

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
Re: TOTAL LOW BUDGET BUILD
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
So whataya thinking of for chassis??
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

lockedup

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »
Check out this build i found on pirate4x4, It has an amazing cantilever suspension on it.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804177

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
WOW, what the hell keeps the axles from twisting up? I don't see any 4 link bars  or anything? There is no way one ball joint can keep it all together, what am I missing? Unreal truck though!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
The Jag rear end uses a Dana 44 ring and pinion. It can supposrt a gearset ratio from 2.72 to 4.54.

D44 gear sets change at 4.10. Getting anything taller than 4.10 in a Jag diff requires a lot of work. 8.8's are stronger and have way more parts availability.

Offline lupus1

• Peon extrordinaire
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »
Look on page six. The front u-joint looks like the third mount point.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need one to skydive twice.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
I always got a kick out of how everyone seems to get all worked up when you say anything about a straight axle, no budget build!!  Everyone says just sell something and then you can drop a grand into blah blah blah.  For some of us its not that easy.  I love the idea of this build.  Instead of spending this thread talking about the merits of independent rears and bike motors, lets talk about what SPEC is building.  There are some of us who are in this exact same boat, and would like to see this happen EXACTLY how he's planning it.  The drive train layout and components are picked.  Lets see some help with how to make them work.

Sorry if that came out like a rant, but to see 3 pages on a topic I'm excited to see happen go on about everything this build is not about is kinda irritating.

As for the build, I would go with the Jeep rear, TH350 trans for the better ratio's and light weight, and the 350 for the better low end torque, as more time will be spent cruising along. 

I'd love to see a double triangulated 4 link rear built, they have excellent travel with no binding when set up properly.  Plus, if you do it I can see it built!!  I don't know how to build one personally (proper angles and such) and would love to see it done.  For the driveshaft, to keep it EXTREMELY low buck, I've seen square driveshafts work, and they have the ability to extend to almost double their length.  If driveshaft speed is kept relatively low, vibration should be kept at a minimum.  If nothing else it'll get it moving until a proper driveshaft can be afforded!!

Have you figured your steering?  I would likely use the S10 steering box (I seen the S10 rear end suggestion, so I'm assuming you have the truck!)  The reason behind that is that you can use the power steering pump and everything will hook up to the 350.  Use a modified Pitman arm with 2 tie-rod holes and extenders to get the proper steering geometry.

Wow, first post in a while!  Guess I made up for missed time, lol

Agreed its not really a rant so much but like Fabr siad this is how someone hits a far better idea on the head sometimes.

With todays world you can get a whole IRS rear for pretty cheap IF a person wnated to go that way and found a sutiable one.

If they wanted a straight axle like mentioned the jeep axles leave a lot to be desired and the only good thing about them is the bolt pattern IF you had a set of the Ford/Dodge/Jeep rims with the tires already on them but the jeep axles are not know for durability. Just easy to toss and upgrade.

The S-10 axle will take a good bit more snot but a ford 9inch out of any old van or truck would be better yet (and CHEAP) if the extra width of it over the Jeep and s-10 axles was not a problem fitting it on a trailer etc. The width might be welcome in Specs case?

D44 gear sets change at 4.10. Getting anything taller than 4.10 in a Jag diff requires a lot of work. 8.8's are stronger and have way more parts availability.

The Jag rear ends will take the ratios I posted as bolt ins from what I have seen but the stock ratios is what most use and with a v-8 on tap and light weight it will be "close enough" for a budget build if that way was taken lol.

To be honest spec if that Blue Jeep s what you are looking at taking parts off I would sell it? Unless its got something wrong with it you cannot find one that looks anywhere near that nice around here (Michigan rust) for under 4000 (yah four grand) Unless the pics not showing rust?? It looks nice for just a daily driver.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Islander

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
I don't have any experience with Jeep rear ends, but the 7.5 inch 10 bolt that comes in most S10's is very weak also.  I good rear to look for if you want cheap strength is the Ford Exploder 8.8.  It's similar in strength to the GM 12 bolt, and can be bought cheap, if you look, you can even get them with up to a 4.11 gear, factory limited slip and disk brakes.  I paid 50 bucks for the one I have, but it's only drum brakes.  It does have 3.73 gears and a limited slip though.  The 9 inch would be nice, but they tend to go for a higher price.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
You know, I think I still have a 9" in my dad's yard...Want me to take a look? I think the center is there and all..

Bajas RULE!!

SPEC

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »
Good points...
And I'm not bitchen that we're off topic some...I just have no use for rear indy
I can prolly find a Metric diff cheap enough But I'd like to stay fairly narrow
I think the last years of the metrics before they all went 4wd were about the same as the S-10...My problem.......Is around here DEMO DERBY IS KING.......Shit thats in the junk yard is junk or the derby heads have it...What about ford ranger diffs...I might have a swap for one of those

SPEC

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
Where you at whip?

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
Cali....but maybe somebody is going to Glamis for new years, I could bring it with me? Or ship it truck freight, but it would be a hundred bucks or so to ship...

Bajas RULE!!

SPEC

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »
DDDDDUUUUUUUHHHHHHH
I knew that eyes
 :j
So you guys really hate the jeep diffs huh?

Bennyhanna

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
Spec have you looked at the axle in your jeep.  It could possibly be a d44 or a chrysler 8.25 which are both fairly strong.  I have a 92 xj with a welded 8.25 with 33 inch boggers and have never had a problem, but the 8.25 are c-clip which a lot of people avoid.

SPEC

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
tHE YEAR THAT IT IS IT COULD GO EITHER WAY effen caps loc
It's got that chrysler V-6 in it

I'll crawl under it and look
Oh yeah Nutz, the body is actually not too bad but the motor is stuck and no title...And 3 broken windows

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »
And 3 broken windows
Its gonna need good heat then................ rofl
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal