Author Topic: Just picked up this new toy  (Read 24246 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: Just picked up this new toy
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »
i remember thinking about how my dads old bike would be cool in a go kart, that was back in 2001 before i even knew what a mini buggy or bike powered buggy was.. 
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
40 years before that I was putting a 2.5HP Clinton 2 stroke in an old pedal go-kart. I was literally 6 years old at the time. I never got it running but it was mounted and wired. There's definitely something wrong with me. This shit is truly in my genetic makeup I think. I have 2 uncles and a grandfather that are just like me in their earlier years also. Seems like we can build just about anything we want. I feel SOOOOOO lucky too. I love this shit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:39:52 PM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chaos6.7

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
Boring is best accomplished buying new pistons and jugs.

Anyone have a specific kit to recommend?

chaos6.7

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 01:54:22 PM »
Also FYI, if I didn't pick up this vw I was looking into the r16 shotgun. It's a pretty badass looking motorcycle engined powered buggy.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
Anyone have a specific kit to recommend?
well,not me. It's been too long ago for me to suggest anyone in particular. I bet there's others here that can/will.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »
Also FYI, if I didn't pick up this vw I was looking into the r16 shotgun. It's a pretty badass looking motorcycle engined powered buggy.
That's what mine is based on. I stretched and chopped it a bit tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
if it is so exspensive to make these engines have power, and everything about the engine and transaxle needs upgraded, why the hell do people even use them? why not put that money into something better...??

Well vodo back when before BETTER was here, the lowly old VW was all we had to work with.  Super bikes were pan head Harley's and the 350 Chevy was to heavy to stuff into a buggy.  So we made do.  Most people that work with buggy's are proficient enough to tear down over haul and fix the little four banger.  That's why VW and the after market people built all the stuff to rebuild one in kits.  Some people just like working on them and seeing just how far it can be pushed before breaking.  Then fix it and try again.  It's the love of doing.  Use to be you could blow up a vw trans and go out and buy another one for Penney's.  Now days you can't do that.  To few and far between.   Thats why it's getting expensive.  But if you know what your doing then it's not so bad. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

trans man

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »
40 years before that I was putting a 2.5HP Clinton 2 stroke in an old pedal go-kart. I was literally 6 years old at the time. I never got it running but it was mounted and wired. There's definitely something wrong with me. This shit is truly in my genetic makeup I think. I have 2 uncles and a grandfather that are just like me in their earlier years also. Seems like we can build just about anything we want. I feel SOOOOOO lucky too. I love this shit.
You weren't the only one master. When I was 7 I built my first go-cart. I used the rear end off an old bulldog 3 wheeler and the frame and front end off an old junked out lawn mower. It had a 12HP briggs engine on it. I run the $hit out of it for 3 years before the engine blew up. Those were some good times!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) Lucky I didn't kill myself on that damn thing!!! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:50:06 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Well if you guys where looking to burst my bubble you did a damn good job at it. Let me try to lower my standards a little.
         How about if I keep the stock crank and upgrade my pistons? Maybe bore it out a little. Is it worth me not boring and just picking up that 84 piston kit that I found on appletreeauto auto? And any cam/valve recommendations along with it?
I don't know how much money you have to spend on an engine. So I went to www.mooreparts.com to get you some prices. Here is a list of parts that I have used in the past, that will build a solid running 1835cc VW engine for you. This is not a kit, I like different parts from different companies, you get the better parts that way IMO 8) 8) 8)

92mm Mahle forged pistons and jugs set                         $290
W120 Engle camshaft                                                  $74
Scat performance lifter set                                           $55
Gasket set with rear main seal                                      $16
Engine main bearing set                                               $30
Rod bearing set                                                          $12
Camshaft bearing set                                                  $12
Impe straight cut camshaft gears                                  $50
Aluminum bolt on valve covers                                      $25
Scat double O-ring spring loaded push rod tubes              $65
Impe bolt on sand seal pulley with longer bolt                  $56
30mm HD oil pump for a flat cam                                   $65
Scat chromoly gland nut with washer                             $28
Comp-u-fire 009 screamer kit                                       $145
Rebuilding air cooled VW engine manual                          $19
                                                          Total parts     $942
This is figuring on you reusing the stock crank, rods, push rods, cylinderheads, valves and rockerarms. With these parts you will be looking at 100HP 1835cc engine on pump gas. You will still have to get the block and cylinderheads bored out  8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:45:50 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »
If you can afford more there is better upgrades you can do, heads, 1.25 ratio rockerarms and counter weighed crankshaft. More power and a higher revving engine. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »
You weren't the only one master. When I was 7 I built my first go-cart. I used the rear end off an old bulldog 3 wheeler and the frame and front end off an old junked out lawn mower. It had a 12HP briggs engine on it. I run the $hit out of it for 3 years before the engine blew up. Those were some good times!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) Lucky I didn't kill myself on that damn thing!!! ;D ;D ;D
LOL!! That's funny! Some of us just do this stuff for the love of building.When I'm dead SOMEONE is going to be very lucky. UNLESS Uncle Sam fooks us that is.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:21 PM »
LOL!! That's funny! Some of us just do this stuff for the love of building.When I'm dead SOMEONE is going to be very lucky. UNLESS Uncle Sam fooks us that is.
That's for damn sure!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

trans man

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »
       Well vodo back when before BETTER was here, the lowly old VW was all we had to work with.  Super bikes were pan head Harley's and the 350 Chevy was to heavy to stuff into a buggy.  So we made do.  Most people that work with buggy's are proficient enough to tear down over haul and fix the little four banger.  That's why VW and the after market people built all the stuff to rebuild one in kits.  Some people just like working on them and seeing just how far it can be pushed before breaking.  Then fix it and try again.  It's the love of doing.  Use to be you could blow up a vw trans and go out and buy another one for Penney's.  Now days you can't do that.  To few and far between.   Thats why it's getting expensive.  But if you know what your doing then it's not so bad.
You got to love those little german made bastards. rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

trans man

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »
if it is so expensive to make these engines have power, and everything about the engine and transaxle needs upgraded, why the hell do people even use them? why not put that money into something better...??
Because there is just something about making an 60 HP at 4300 RPM motor go to 220HP at 8000 RPM and it's SCREAMING it's head off!!! Other wise known as pushing the envelop. AKA a fire cracker with a very short fuse.;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:40:32 PM by trans man »

chaos6.7

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
I don't know how much money you have to spend on an engine. So I went to www.mooreparts.com to get you some prices. Here is a list of parts that I have used in the past, that will build a solid running 1835cc VW engine for you. This is not a kit, I like different parts from different companies, you get the better parts that way IMO 8) 8) 8)

92mm Mahle forged pistons and jugs set                         $290
W120 Engle camshaft                                                  $74
Scat performance lifter set                                           $55
Gasket set with rear main seal                                      $16
Engine main bearing set                                               $30
Rod bearing set                                                          $12
Camshaft bearing set                                                  $12
Impe straight cut camshaft gears                                  $50
Aluminum bolt on valve covers                                      $25
Scat double O-ring spring loaded push rod tubes              $65
Impe bolt on sand seal pulley with longer bolt                  $56
30mm HD oil pump for a flat cam                                   $65
Scat chromoly gland nut with washer                             $28
Comp-u-fire 009 screamer kit                                       $145
Rebuilding air cooled VW engine manual                          $19
                                                          Total parts     $942
This is figuring on you reusing the stock crank, rods, push rods, cylinderheads, valves and rockerarms. With these parts you will be looking at 100HP 1835cc engine on pump gas. You will still have to get the block and cylinderheads bored out  8) 8) 8)

ok. This is the kind of responce I'm looking for. If you had to guess how much would the machine shop work cost?

Also, if anyone else has a recommendation like this go ahead and post it. Im not looking to upgrade the crank tho. This is about what I can afford now. (with a little left over for the machine shop)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal