Author Topic: Just picked up this new toy  (Read 24248 times)

trans man

Re: Just picked up this new toy
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »
Found it on Craigslist. Paid $500. Had it running, but my friend beat it like it owed him money, and now I have no idea whats wrong with it. I hope its just the distributor, and points.
In that first pic, I seen that heater ducts on your fan shroud are wide open. You need to block those off, so you get maximum air flow from the fan to the jugs, cylinderheads, and oil cooler.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
Yup.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »
I have a brand new carb that I picked up from appletreeauto.com and I'm not looking to fork over the money to pick up another. Is there a kit to swap the generator for an alternator or do I need to retrofit one?
Honestly I haven't had much time to work on it lately ( no garage and it's been cold and crappy lately in NY,) but... I've got more problems. Since I replaced the pushrod tubes they have been leaking even more, and I have oil coming out of my pre heater tubes into my exhaust on the passinger side. Is there an easy fix for it or am I going to need to tear everything apart?
What did you get for a new carb  8) 8) 8)

chaos6.7

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »
Are you talking about the 2 pipes that go from the exhaust to the center intake section?  If so the only way oil get there is from very badly worn pistion rings and/or worn valve guides! If that's the case the engine needs to be totally rebuilt. I wish I had better news for you. 8) 8) 8)

you just made me a very sad man.... :-(

trans man

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »
Its just an old single port engine, Put a little bit of extra oil in it and go out and beat the hell out of it. If I was in your shoes that's what I would do!!! ;D ;D ;D ;

trans man

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »
You don't want to waste your money on rebuilding that engine anyway. You need to look from a 1600cc dual port, You will find them in 1971-79 bugs or 1971-72 Buses 8) 8) 8)

chaos6.7

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
OK Fellaz! found myself 2 beetles waisting away in a field. The first one I just tore apart was a 74, so I pulled the motor and trans from it. Once I get a look inside the block Ill give you the heads up on the condition and if I will be rebuilding that one for the buggy.

chaos6.7

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
Also I was curious how much i should ask for when selling all the glass in the vehicle? (No cracks. pretty good condition.)

Also I cut the roof off and it had what seems to be a factory moon roof. Any clue if it would be worth something to a restoration shop or auto body?

chaos6.7

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 10:36:46 PM »
Any moderators able to move this to the project logs? Didnt realize this was gonna be a project when I first posted...

Gonna need to be asking for advice on the rebuilding of this new Dual Port motor. limited money looking for an upgraded rebuild kit, willing to bore out the motor some. trying not to spend more than 1200 between machine shop and parts.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:38:34 PM by chaos6.7 »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »
Done.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »
OK Fellas! found myself 2 beetles waisting away in a field. The first one I just tore apart was a 74, so I pulled the motor and trans from it. Once I get a look inside the block Ill give you the heads up on the condition and if I will be rebuilding that one for the buggy.
Cool!!! I see in that first picture that your 1600 DP already has an alternator, which is a big plus and will save you $200. That looks like a good find.  ;D ;D ;D That alternator is externally regulated so make sure you get the regulator block out the the engine compartment before for you junk the car. 8) 8) 8) 8) Being it is a 1974 also means you have the AS41 block, that is the strongest OEM block that VW ever made. It's an excellent base for building a bigger cc engine! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:20:40 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »

Gonna need to be asking for advice on the rebuilding of this new Dual Port motor. limited money looking for an upgraded rebuild kit, willing to bore out the motor some. trying not to spend more than 1200 between machine shop and parts.
Earlier you said you got a new carb, did you get a Pict 30 or 34? That will limit you on what size of engine you can build. 8) 8) 8)

trans man

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
I wouldn't go any bigger than an 1835cc with an Engle 110 camshaft with one of those carbs. Just my .02   8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:22:51 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
Also I was curious how much i should ask for when selling all the glass in the vehicle? (No cracks. pretty good condition.)

Also I cut the roof off and it had what seems to be a factory moon roof. Any clue if it would be worth something to a restoration shop or auto body?
Check with a local VW Club, some of there members might be interested. 8) 8) 8)

chaos6.7

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »
Just checked the page. For some reason my email didnt mention any posts. Well as far as the carb, Im not gonna let the carb restrict how I build the block up. The guy I got the beetles from says he has a dual carb hes willing to sell me, so I will look at the condition and probably go with that.
Still havent pulled the motor apart. Havent had time. Last weekend I did drive out to the middle of no where to pick up an engine stand I found on Craigslist, hopefully it makes my life a little easier.

Back to the motor work. When I go to the machine shop, What Kind of bore should I be looking for? Trying not to break the bank, but I am looking to bring it up to like 150 HP. Also can anyone recommend a piston kit to go with the bore? I am trying to price everything out at the moment. Still need to sell my DR650 for the cash to finish the project... :/

But hopefully Ill have more info thursday night, Im trying to get the night off of work to tear it down.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal