Author Topic: Just picked up this new toy  (Read 24252 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Just picked up this new toy
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
Somehow that last 5% always seems to like being MY 5%.LOL!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chaos6.7

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 06:53:31 AM »
I have a brand new carb that I picked up from appletreeauto.com and I'm not looking to fork over the money to pick up another. Is there a kit to swap the generator for an alternator or do I need to retrofit one?
Honestly I haven't had much time to work on it lately ( no garage and it's been cold and crappy lately in NY,) but... I've got more problems. Since I replaced the pushrod tubes they have been leaking even more, and I have oil coming out of my pre heater tubes into my exhaust on the passinger side. Is there an easy fix for it or am I going to need to tear everything apart?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »
WHen  I was at the VW dealership in the mid 70's we ALWAYS used NEW stock pushrod tubes and end seals if one was leaking and we replaced ALL of them at the same time. We rarely had a leaker. IMO all of the aftermarket adjustable ones are ,at best, a bandaid.Yes the head needs removed to use the stock tubes. We also put a film of hylomar on the tube seals.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:52 AM »
I have a brand new carb that I picked up from appletreeauto.com and I'm not looking to fork over the money to pick up another. Is there a kit to swap the generator for an alternator or do I need to retrofit one?
Honestly I haven't had much time to work on it lately ( no garage and it's been cold and crappy lately in NY,) but... I've got more problems. Since I replaced the pushrod tubes they have been leaking even more, and I have oil coming out of my pre heater tubes into my exhaust on the passinger side. Is there an easy fix for it or am I going to need to tear everything apart?

Did you use adjustable push rod tubes?  If so lose them ASAP. If you just put new seals on your old tubes then you mite not have expanded them or one mite have a crack in the bellows.  When you take the old push rod tubes off and reuse them you must first hold them in both hands and gently with your thumbs push the bellows back and forth to expand them some.  If you use new stock tubes you will not have to do that.  I know clear as mud.  When I got out of the VW biz new tubes were like two bucks each. Check your valve cover gaskets real close to. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »
ANd buy a tube of Hylomar! ;) ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01:21 AM »
It's also very likely that the jug seals are bad.That can be mistaken easily for leaking tubes
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
There is only one pushrod tubes to use IMO and that is  SCAT's triple O-ring spring loaded pushrod tubes. They have an internal spring between in inter and outer aluminum halves that keeps constant pressure to the block and head seals. These babies don't leak,not even with offroad abuse! I've have running them for 5 years now, with no problems. The best part is you don't have to remove the cylinder heads to install them. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:29:28 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
It's also very likely that the jug seals are bad.That can be mistaken easily for leaking tubes
That is very likely! If you find that is where they are leaking. After removing the jugs clean block and the jug skirts. Then apply Peratex aviation form a gasket to the jug skirt's then reinstall. That's the only thing that I have found so they don't ever leak. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:07:24 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
There are alternator conversion kits, all you have to do is swap out the generator from the fan shroud and the stand from the block. If you have any other questions pm me anytime. 8) 8) 8)

chaos6.7

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
There is only one pushrod tubes to use IMO and that is  SCAT's triple O-ring pushrod. They have an internal spring between in inter and outer aluminum halves that keeps constant pressure to the block and head seals. These babies don't leak,not even with offroad abuse! I've have running them for 5 years now, with no problems. The best part is you don't have to remove the cylinder heads to install them. ;D ;D ;D

Where can I order these?!?!

chaos6.7

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »

Are you talking about the seals at either end of the pushrod? I replaced them.

chaos6.7

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
Any answers for me about the oil coming out of my pre heaters? Honestly that's what is bothering me the most.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »

Are you talking about the seals at either end of the pushrod? I replaced them.
No ,I'm talking about the thin paper seals at the bottom of the cylinder jugs where they mate to the crankcase. They are prone to leaking onto the pushrod tubes and looking like a pushrod tube leak.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
Where can I order these?!?!
You can order directly for Scat ,Moore Parts, or Pacific Customs in CA. 8) 8) 8)

trans man

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
Any answers for me about the oil coming out of my pre heaters? Honestly that's what is bothering me the most.
Are you talking about the 2 pipes that go from the exhaust to the center intake section?  If so the only way oil get there is from very badly worn pistion rings and/or worn valve guides! If that's the case the engine needs to be totally rebuilt. I wish I had better news for you. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:38:23 PM by trans man »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal