Author Topic: Hi tq starters  (Read 770 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Hi tq starters
« on: February 12, 2024, 01:16:20 PM »
Currently run a hi tq 101n 1.4 kw starter. They do make a 2.0kw version of it but the motor is 2" longer. This starter was on my megasand e box trans. 10% of the time it missed, wound up taking the edge off a few flywheel teeth. Hi tq says their pinion gear is made out of a weaker alloy then flywheel teeth so that doesn't happen. I told him that it did happen so must have been a drop in alloy quality at kep. 

The reason I am posting this is because, vw based trans, using kep adaptor systems, standard key adaptor flywheels, the 2 common measurements are 35mm to 45mm depth to the face of the flywheel teeth. That from  the starter mounting surface to the face of the flywheel teeth. The guy at hi tq told me to measure this as they will machine the nose of the starter for an exact fit.

I had no idea they did that there, might be helpful information for others, I know the wear pattern on my starter was only  1/8" to 3/16" engagement into the teeth.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Hi tq starters
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 08:33:57 PM »
That is damn good info right there.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 10:53:49 AM »
Yes it is. It was really starting to irritate me every time my starter missed. When I get the 2 botled together I will be ordering a new starter and keeping the old one for a spare.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 06:44:31 PM »
You've heard my $$$$$$$ Meziere$$$$$$$ starter grinding once in a while (all too fricken often)I'm sure. While the engine is out I'm going to do some investigation hopefully finding a cause. Btw that starter is 3hp( being Fortin specific and 3hp=$$$$$$$)spins my 434 13:1 over like a worn out Briggs and Stratton even with the small diameter flywheel.. :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 06:43:31 AM »
You've heard my $$$$$$$ Meziere$$$$$$$ starter grinding once in a while (all too fricken often)I'm sure. While the engine is out I'm going to do some investigation hopefully finding a cause. Btw that starter is 3hp( being Fortin specific and 3hp=$$$$$$$)spins my 434 13:1 over like a worn out Briggs and Stratton even with the small diameter flywheel.. :m

I heard yours miss twice, and I know how annoying that is.
I didn't know you were running a 3 hp starter. I'm running a 1.4 hp but been looking at thec2 hp like Allan went to.
I know that 3hp wasn't cheap for sure when hi tq's 2hp runs $425 !

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 06:55:52 AM »
 I had no choice in the deal. Meziere is the only one making a starter for the Fortin.It was IIRC over $600.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 07:18:01 AM »
I had no choice in the deal. Meziere is the only one making a starter for the Fortin.It was IIRC over $600.

That price doesn't surprise me at all.  I did hear yours miss once on the last trip. Its irritating, I know :m :nw

I noticed that while shaking mine, there is something g flopping around inside of it. Still works  but not right. Their ad says Bosch starter so maybe the local rebuild shop can rebuild it. Plan on buying a new one once I can measure to be sure. I am sure weddles design is far far closer to spec then megasands knock off of a mendi e box was.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 07:49:15 AM »
Yup,I have a spare on the shelf since this is not a buy from jegs/summit/speedway/whatever thing. I would never had thought I'd have to spend so much for a starter/s. Worse than that the first one didn't mount up squarely. Found that out after 2-$200 bendixes blew up.  I had to send the converter off to have a new ring gear as well. All in all I have approx $2000 in starters. bs1 At some point this past time has gotten expensive. :m
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:50:52 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal