Author Topic: has anyone....late '90s lincoln continental?  (Read 2433 times)

hero_saku39

has anyone....late '90s lincoln continental?
« on: March 25, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
Has anyone thought of this option for an easy driving sand rail?  They have a longitudinal mounted engine with a transverse trans (pretty tight package).  4.6 v8 with about 265 hp and tq.  Easily modded engine.  Transmission is going to be limited.  4 speed auto with no gearing options so wheel and tire size will need to be relatively small but It would be nothing to shed 1500+ lbs from the weight of the 2 ton car.

any thoughts?

SPEC

Re: has anyone....late '90s lincoln continental?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »
I think the didstance between the axles is pretty wide...That would really limit the travel?
Fabr and I were discussing an olds toranado a few weeks back...455 easy 450 horse, and as much torque, but the travel numbers sucked ;)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
There are afew 455 Olds toranado setusp runnig around Silver Lake Sand dunes. They work but are heavy. And as mentioned somewhat limited suspension.

The ratio problem your refferring to Hero could be dealt with the same way Chain drive rails does it. You would gain some travel too at the cost of the chain and sprockets and rear spindles.

The bigger Audi also had a VW beetle type layout to its tranny. The Quattros were AWD but many were jsut front. They were both manuals and autos. Had pretty good size tires and a lot of power but not sure how hard to make the motor run outside the car.

Not as compact but I like the idea of a old school small block chevy built to your taste. Fed thru a "shorty" two speed powerglide into an newer Ford Thunderbird Aluminum IRS rear end. These motors and trannies do VERY well on the dragstrips and face it how often do you get over 80-90 offroad? It would get there quick and be cheap and realiable as all get out.     
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:09:24 AM »
Trouble with a PG would be heat. Small torque converter and only 2 speeds equals a LOT of heat to deal with. If a person went that way he would want to run a very large tranny cooler. I ran PG's for 25 years. Bullet proof IF you control the heat.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
We used to have two older Chevy Novas (late 60's) with power glides. They ran all day long fine so unless it was built to be a pure dragger I am believeing that the heat would not be to bad to control.

It would be a little longer than a Mendeola say but one HELL of a lot cheaper and likely more durable! I could live with another say two feet of length to save thousands AND have auto shifting. It would likely be a tad longer than two feet more but still. With strong power on tap the length would help tame it some.

I just like it for the shorty effect. Pretty compact for what it is and the abuse it can take.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »
A mate built one with an LS1 engine and powerglide (shorty) put it in backwards over the Ford 9" diff centre (IRS converted) and ran it into a boat VEE drive with 2 very short jackshafts. Worked a treat and to my knowledge it never failed. This was for racing purposes. It was no longer than his normal chaisis (he had a few, raced for over 20 years).

He didnt use a std style torque converter, this was years ago so my memory is a little vague (??) but I think it had a lock up fluid drive (as opposed to a torque converter). He also talked about the heat reduction and his torque levels were more than adequate without the converter. It was manual shift to, no auto.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:09:13 PM by Artie on edge »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
A mate built one with an LS1 engine and powerglide (shorty) put it in backwards over the Ford 9" diff centre (IRS converted) and ran it into a boat VEE drive with 2 very short jackshafts. Worked a treat and to my knowledge it never failed. This was for racing purposes. It was no longer than his normal chaisis (he had a few, raced for over 20 years).

He didnt use a std style torque converter, this was years ago so my memory is a little vague (??) but I think it had a lock up fluid drive (as opposed to a torque converter). He also talked about the heat reduction and his torque levels were more than adequate without the converter. It was manual shift to, no auto.
You're talking apples and oranges there my man. What he did was like the circle track guys do.Eliminate the TC and you eliminate most of the heat issue.You also lose all the tq multiplication and have to run direct drive. You're either in gear or not.  In a circle burner or boat that works fine but it will suck balls on the dirt/pavement/sand. THe low gear in a standard PG is no lower than 1.82:1 You CAN go aftermarket and get a bit lower but not much.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
You're talking apples and oranges there my man. What he did was like the circle track guys do.Eliminate the TC and you eliminate most of the heat issue.You also lose all the tq multiplication and have to run direct drive. You're either in gear or not.  In a circle burner or boat that works fine but it will suck balls on the dirt/pavement/sand. THe low gear in a standard PG is no lower than 1.82:1 You CAN go aftermarket and get a bit lower but not much.

Wrong mate, he didnt go direct drive he used a lock up fluid drive but not a torque converter.

Still slips, has no torque mulitplication (he didnt need it, abundance on tap), locks up when under light 1 to 1 shaft speeds and low loads, and there fore doesnt have the extreme heat build up of a torque converter.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:32:43 PM by Artie on edge »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »
It seems you are describing a lock up converter.  The converter get's it up to speed, then it locks in solid once close to 1:1.

The slipping converter gives the torque multiplication.

I had considered the V-drive option myself, but with a solid rear end that was just behind the motor, like a mid engine Trophy truck.

I am afraid if you argue with Fabr about how a powerglide works, I may see a mushroom cloud out of my south east window.  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal