Author Topic: 3.8 v-6  (Read 7870 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: 3.8 v-6
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »
You decide to blow it I want to be there!! 6350 in your garage is f@#$ing loud.  :)

ok now I know it's just me! I wondered why you jumped back from the motor, I thought some hot exhaust hit your leg. it really sounds wound up that tight to you?   seriously, it sounds only 2/3rds of the way there to ear!

I guess to many years of sport & dirt bikes have ruined my ears!

fastcorvairs,  thanks for the name and # he has some great info!  we discussed the olds 3.5 aluminum v-6's, he told me that they are lighter with a little less bottom end tq on the start but wake up quick as well as they rev higher. he does know the motors!!!!

if anyone is thinking about building a v-6 I would call maurice for the motor and flywheel- adaptor plate. Maurice Baker - Alma. KS - 785-765-3811

bottom line on my rev question is I can change springs which I am going to do and set the rev limit a touch higher, but I also need to grab the next gear sooner and lug that motor more. if that doesn't work than I will be selling it and going back to what I know best!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
LS Buttercup? I guess I need to stop and look around a bit more instead of just riding like a bat out of hell..I never noticed it look like that before.

yes LS.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
ok now I know it's just me! I wondered why you jumped back from the motor, I thought some hot exhaust hit your leg. it really sounds wound up that tight to you?   seriously, it sounds only 2/3rds of the way there to ear!

I guess to many years of sport & dirt bikes have ruined my ears!

fastcorvairs,  thanks for the name and # he has some great info!  we discussed the olds 3.5 aluminum v-6's, he told me that they are lighter with a little less bottom end tq on the start but wake up quick as well as they rev higher. he does know the motors!!!!

if anyone is thinking about building a v-6 I would call maurice for the motor and flywheel- adaptor plate. Maurice Baker - Alma. KS - 785-765-3811

bottom line on my rev question is I can change springs which I am going to do and set the rev limit a touch higher, but I also need to grab the next gear sooner and lug that motor more. if that doesn't work than I will be selling it and going back to what I know best!

Change springs??????????? in what???????????

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

Valve Springs I believe......

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:32 PM »
Piston return springs!

(The things that push the pistons back down the bores! :P)
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »

Corvairs use valve springs right?  For a moment I thought maybe you were a Mazda rotary guy, and didn't know what a valve spring was.  then I looked at your name!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
 :D :D :D
Ok.
No one said anything about VALVE springs.  the thread was (change springs)

If Maurice said you can change VALVE springs then do so.  I would think that any newer v6 would have a thousand or so extra rpm before you would need to change them.  How did he say you could bump up the rev limiter? That would be in brain box.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 09:21:31 PM »
:D :D :D
Ok.
No one said anything about VALVE springs.  the thread was (change springs)

If Maurice said you can change VALVE springs then do so.  I would think that any newer v6 would have a thousand or so extra rpm before you would need to change them.  How did he say you could bump up the rev limiter? That would be in brain box.

yes, I was referring to valve springs. I should have typed that one out. he simply said that if I want to continue running the higher rpm's then he agreed that I will need to get some stronger valve springs. I was told by a few of the hp tuner guys that #105's should do it but #130 would be their preference, but then I would need 2 row timing chain and gears and probably stronger push rods, so I am going to go with the #105's. I guess the saying is 10 psi per thousand rpm, my gauge reads  about 74 psi rev'd up so I believe I'm good there.  he also told me he doesn't run the 3.8 anymore rather the olds 3.5. I don't know about down there but up here those motors are 800 -1k at the salvage yards, I asked the owner of one ( that I know and used to be into the buggies long ago ) today, he told me ( in the cars ) after they get a number of miles on them they drop there bottom ends. no he didn't elaborate on that but if maurice has had great luck with them then I would believe him. I kind of look at it this way, if I can push the motor up from 6350 rpm to 6800 and get 3 years out of it then throw another motor in for $300, that's only $100 a year for motor rental!!  ;D

the only way to change the rev limit is in the pcm and the local guys want $150. I could ship back to the guys that flashed the pcm for me in new york but I talked to a shop that sells the software and harness to plug into a laptop for $300, to do this myself so I might just buy there's so I can play around with it a little. I did give maurice the web address of the company that flashed my pcm, he sounded interested in trying them out. what he did tell me is basically what I have thought all along, if the valves aren't floating and I'm still pulling hard or good to the rev limiter than try turning it up a little. he hasn't ever tried this himself so he couldn't say for sure and he didn't know if the bottom end would take what I would like to turn it up to 7400 rpm!  I do know that most of this issue is me, I am no longer wired for the slower motors    ( low rpm )  but I am going to work with this one to see if I can find a happy medium, I don't give up with out a fight and I have put a lot more work into this rail than the mini's.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:45 PM »
Piston return springs!

(The things that push the pistons back down the bores! :P)

can you post a pic of one of those.   ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
I hope you and enemy get the wicks turned up in time for LS!!! I'm kind of used to 900HP in a 1300# dragster sooooo you'd better!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 10:02:02 PM »
If you guys don't put a wraparound grin on my face you're in trouble. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
I hope you and enemy get the wicks turned up in time for LS!!! I'm kind of used to 900HP in a 1300# dragster sooooo you'd better!

Whos the crazy fugger on this board??!!

YOU

Sounds like fun though! ;D
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
Ain't nothing like it I will say.But I have to pass this along from Don Garlits.When he quit drag racing he went to Bonneville to try his luck or just to have fun.Whatever. Anyway he was tooling along in the 300 MPH range and when done his comment was,and I have to paraphrase it, "I never knew what 300 was like when drag racing.You are at speed for such a short time you really never have a chance to enjoy it". Any wonder why I haven't been to the track for 4 years? 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
If you guys don't put a wraparound grin on my face you're in trouble. ;D ;D ;D ;D

vertical or horizontal?   :o ;) ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
Both and diagonal as well!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal