Author Topic: New baby! (this one I have to finish LOL!!)  (Read 9001 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: New baby! (this one I have to finish LOL!!)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
Whiplash , I sold my 3 rib.
I do have a friend that is selling his built 002 5 rib. he is supposed to be sending me pic's soon. I can tell you it's all weddle inside with fresh bearings as of last week. he broke rev gear after 6 years of sand so they went ahead and installed all new bearings and re-painted it black. the tranny builder works out of his shop. he has $3800 in it and he is asking 3k obo at this time.  I believe the tranny has a 5.13 r&p and a faster 1st same 2nd and close ration 3rd and 4th. I can ask tomorrow If you are interested.  I think dunebound69 still has a used 3 rib he would part with, pm him.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
I would love that 5 rib but that's WAY outta my price range, sorry.
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »
I will get a picture. I bought it for my rail as a backup. I have never opened it up. I have a set of chromoly 930 flanges as well. I have since gone to an 091 with 100% weldle gears. My previous 3 rib made 5 years and it was the 1968. The one for sale is a 69. The 3 rib was never in a rail.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Dunebound69

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
I tried posting the pictures but they seem to be to large. I will go take some lower quality pics or you can pm me.
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »
A friend of mine had a type 1 box with his ecotech in his baja bug and it lasted all of 2 trips before it spit out second gear and the third trip took car of 1st and 3rd. Just cause you are not making a ton or power you need to keep in mind that your bug is very heavy so everything needs to be a little beefier that in a buggy

Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »
Yep I figure that! I just made a deal for a fresh rebuilt 091 bus trans for 570 shipped! I think that's a good deal! I already got paddles thanks to Punkur67. Now I just need to figure out how to get the coil overs I need for the 5X5 rear trailings arms I just ordered!  6: Sweet a green smiley!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
Anybody know what size Coil overs I need for these arms? I guess I could just install them and measure the travel, but somebody's gotta know this...Save me time!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 04:56:32 PM »
depends on your mounting location. I run 16" travel on my 5x5s but do not use all of the stroke. Just keep in mind that the more inboard you move your mounts on the arm the more leverage wich means more spring rate and less adjustability. I have a used set of 12" 2.0 kings if you are interested.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 08:45:16 PM »
Well, I was told by the guys at blind chicken racing where I got my arms coming from, to run 18's and keep them out as far to the end of the arm as possible for max damping, and I found the FOA shocks and MAN they are a great deal! Finally somebody that charges what they actually should cost! I think I will get the 2.0's at 18" and I can get both shocks for $440.00! and then I can order the springs after I get them all mounted up. Hopefully this works out ok! Thanks for the help guys, I am trying to get this thing together for this season so I am hauling ass trying to get parts, anybody got a money tree around I could borrow?!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 06:12:27 AM »
You will have a dificult time getting 18" shocks in the car. My friends bug, with the ecotech, had 16" shocks and they mounted about 4" from the roof and he had to cut big ass holes in the floor. He is now running 9"x12" over arms with 14" shocks. Also when I ordered my rear shocks from king they recomended that I go to a 2.5" shock if I went longer than a 14". He told me the longer 2.0 like to break shafts. Before buying shocks why dont you mock up the arms,get them at full compression and droop. And see how long of a shock you really need. A shorter shock will be cheaper and you can find used springs much easier. Put it this way, Of everybody I know that goes to the desert not one of them runs a 18" shock. Almost everyone funs a 12"-16". Just something to think about

Offline Dunebound69

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:09 AM »
I would go to the 2.5 shock on that car. It was said before you have a lot more weight there than in a buggy.  The 2.0 could get pretty hot for you. Enemy went from 2.0 to 2.5 for capacity and heat. You have a lot more weight than his car. As far as length, Punkur67 has a good point on the more parts out there at shorter lengths. But at one point 8 and 10 inch shocks where the common ones. So in 5 years 18 inch shocks could be all around.

Just when you think you have seen it all. Something comes around. Do what works for your car. All our cars are different.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 08:04:19 AM »
Ok, cool, I think I will try to get the 2.5's but as for the length, the guy who builds the arms suggested 18's I know they seem huge but I think it was so I could run them at the end of the arm for max damping and still get the 20ish inches of travel that's possible with these arms. I know I have to cut big azz holes in the wheels tubs but hey this is an off road car right? Besides, you have to do that with nearly any coil over in these cars unless you keep the suspension stock. I hear ya on the heat thing though, but do you really think it will get that hot just running the dunes? I guess sand hiway is the killer there....who knows, but for what its worth, the 2.0's and 2.5's from FOA both have the 7/8" shaft so there is no problem with bending....keep it coming guys I am learning here!

(EDIT)As for the heat thing, I am planning on going with some bypasses in the future, so that should fix any small heat problems I might have shouldn't it? I am just thinking out loud here, but I really like the price of the 2.0's and I think with some bypasses in there later on, I should be totally fine right?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:07:22 AM by Whiplash »

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 10:09:15 PM »
OK, finally talked to the guy @ FOA shocks and he said the 2.0's would be fine for what I want to do and excellent if I later install the Bypasses. I am trying to figure out how to get all this stuff for the car, hopefully the Wifee will let daddy use the PLASTIC! I hat to do it that way but I am runnin out of time! I will need a good month just to figure out the wiring on the dam engine once it in the car! The fab will be the easy part! I will post pics once I get the trailing arms in and jigged up as I bought the kit to save $$.....200 bucks for 5X5 trailing arms, can't beat that! Anyway I will hopefully get something to start a build log with but I swapped the rear tires onto the front to widen it and tried the paddles on for size looks MUCH better in my opinion!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »
OK, WEEEELL, I am cooling the plastic in my wallet down with water right now, just ordered EVERYTHING to get this baby rolling for this season!! Convinced the wife and away I go! I got a fresh 091 for 570 shipped to my door and got all the coilovers, bearings, spacers, heims, bending die, steel, adapter kit for the EcoTec, clutch, bolts, CV's, axles, blah blah and blah!! I cant wait till it all gets here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am chompin at the bit!! AAAHHHHHHH!  10: 9: bounce jj: :v 6: 10:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:30:22 PM by Whiplash »

Bajas RULE!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal