Author Topic: 5 link rear sandcar suspension  (Read 54313 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: 5 link rear sandcar suspension
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
just throwing this out there....i know someone with a 094 vw trans. has a super diff and side shifter adaptor to connect to stock shifter location. hes asking $1k but will deal. the 094 has the strongest reverse gear. rear engine only btw
Stock internals except for super diff? 4 spiders?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
Ok. But I plan on keeping it a mid engine. I will ask if spiders can be added to the Subaru.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
I think there is a change of plans for using the Subaru transmission. I posted this in my other subject, also. Subistuff says it will basically be 1tire drive in the sand. He even suggested to not stop, unless on top of a hill, because you will get stuck! About $4000.00 to have my trans converted to 4:86 R.P. and limited slip. I guess I will have to buy an adapter and maybe a VW bus transaxle. Bummer. Any other options from experience?

Cannot give any advice on a transmission to use, but many of us in the sand are running a one-wheel-wonder with great success. Trails, dunes, hardpack, mine will always light both wheels up unless in a slow severe cornering situation on hardpack. Add turn brakes and the open dif works just fine. Now, I am not a very heavy car and that may help to contribute as well as how tight the spider gears are set up.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline BrianN

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
I have always wondered how a VW transaxle could spin both tires in the sand. I have never seen one throwing only one "rooster tail".

Offline BrianN

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
I am ready to order 930 cv's, bearing carriers, and Type1 to 930 stub axles. To get the fabrication started. No insult intended to anyone out there, but I am not a fan of Empi. But I also like dealing with Appletree. Do you guys have a preference? Once again, I will not have huge horsepower or 24" of wheel travel. I may wait to order axles, unless you think the longest possible is best.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2018, 09:37:28 PM »
never been a fan of empi either but as cheap as they are and for what your doing i would give them a try just buy the high angle ones and with chromoly cages if offered. i personally would go straight to 28" axles but thats just me.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2018, 07:24:53 AM »
Longest axle will be best from a cv angle standpoint for sure.  Everyone will have differing opinions on what cv's to use. Empi's would probably be Ok for you but investigate the cost difference between them and GKN 's. Just one of probably hundreds of places that offer them.  https://www.kartek.com/parts/gkn-stock-german-porsche-930-cv-joint-for-28-spline-axles-with-stock-cage.html
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
in the short time i have ran cv's i have always been an advocate of rcv cv's.....until i found how first hand how there cv's do not operate ad advertised. they advertise 28*......cannot get them past 24*, on plungin axles.  fabr is correct the gkn's would be preferrable . 

Offline BrianN

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »
Thanks. Those comments actually just reinforce my opinions.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »
wow i really should've proof read that post lol my grammar was terrible!  so i can tell you this ....... i know 2 people that have ran the empi high angle cv's. 1 in a stroker vw and the 2nd with a 3.8 series I v6 engine. both have my a arm front end kit on them. the v6 runs a 5.14 r&p, he ran (i think) 1650 paddles and the stroker aircooled 1450's, cv's on both are going strong still. the v6 had one outer hosuing crack but then again i did to on my rcv performance non plunge chromolly 930 cv's. the empi's will max out at 27* even though they advertise them at 28*. the rcv plunging 930 max's out at 24* and are advertised as 28*. dunebound69 figured out they aren't machining the outer housing correctly for high angle clearence to the star and cage. he buffed the inside of the hosuing a bit and we got them operating at 28*. the customer should not have to do that so even with there lifetime warranty ( they do stand behind them) i don't feel there worth the $125 each. gkn are better than the chicky china empi's but i have seen the empi's take a beating  at Ls oklahoma.    on another note......if they can put 4 spider gears in the suby diff, it will still be classified as a 1 wheel wonder but it will still hook up like a limited slip for the most part. this i can state for sure.  up until my current rail, i have always ran u joints. i still believe in them for a few reasons but decided to try cv's again. i hate cv grease more than anti freeze but the non plunge ran and lasted at 35* max for 3 years. now operate at 30* max on 28" axles and i get 23.5" wheel travel with 4" ground clearence at full bump. thats an a arm rear end but same applies to a 5 link or 6 link rear end. this is why i say just go 28" long axles now and you'll have the room to grow in the future IF you ever decide you need more.  :)

Offline BrianN

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. I am deciding today. Subistuff doesn't know of any way to add spiders. I ordered the shafts and drive flanges for now, to get the fab started. Subarugears has a video on YouTube showing how to change r&p and diff. Maybe in time, I will try to save sending a trans to California and the labor, and do it myself. And I guess I missed your bad grammar. I am an Okie, though!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
so they don`t offer a super diff for the suby? they did atleast understand what you were asking for by using 4 spider gears??

Offline BrianN

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2018, 05:02:57 PM »
Well, I think he understood. I explained my situation over several calls and emails. He never offered any other options. I would hope to skip the R&P, because they are $1300.00. The LS diff was about $1085.00. Maybe I will learn more as time passes.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
If you are worried about just one tire spinning you could always do what I think fast may have been hinting at. Weld the spiders to the side gears. Worked in the day anyway. Use a high nickle rod and do a bit of preheating first.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
just throwing this out there....i know someone with a 094 vw trans. has a super diff and side shifter adaptor to connect to stock shifter location. hes asking $1k but will deal. the 094 has the strongest reverse gear. rear engine only btw
Stock internals except for super diff? 4 spiders?
^^^^^^?????? I might be interested.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal