Author Topic: The next generation chain drive 930CV rear end with reverse.  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Lance-W

The next generation chain drive 930CV rear end with reverse.
« on: August 18, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
Over the years taking apart and servicing the as designed rear end in the Barracudas it became painfully obvious that there were boatloads of room for improvement.  Some of the ever plaguing issues were:

1.  Limited chain adjustment.  You truly need two links of adjustment to be able to correctly size a chain to the assembly.  The sprocket would hit the bottom of the "bash plate" limiting it to about 1-1/4 links as well as there just wasn't enough adjustment in the tensioner to adjust for the full two links of travel.  Which made it impossible to adjust as the chain wore and stretched.

2.  The fasteners that were used to hold the two CV adapters together while sandwiching the center drive spool were on 1/4 dia.  They were inadequately sized.

3.  The fasteners that attached the sprockets to the center drive spool were flat head socket cap screws that were countersunk into the sprocket.  Thus tolerance wise making it impossible for more than one fastener carry all the load till one of the parts  deformed.  As you continued to run the sprocket they would all work against each other and become more and more loose.  May people would take their cartridges apart and find the fasteners loose.  I even went to the extreme of welding the flat heads to the sprocket and it broke the welds and loosened the fasteners.

4.  The inboard brake rotor was inadequate.  I was never able to lock the brakes on the rear even in desert scree.  It should have easily locked up the rear end in that environment and skidded.  That rotor has been replaced with a reverse drive sprocket and the brakes have been moved outboard to the wheel hubs.

5.  It was impossible to check or re-torque any of the drive sprocket fasteners or the CV adapter fasteners once you had the cartridge installed in the box that forms the rear end.  This required to to remove it and disassemble it just to check whether the fasteners you were trying to check were tight?

6.  It was impossible to remove the expensive 60152RS bearings from the CV adapters as a result of having no purchase on the back side of the inside race of bearing to pull or push it off.

7.  The fine thread form used in the CV adapters to hold the CV's on would strip out when you used a "normal" torque for the very strong bolts.  While fine threads usually are stronger it's not the case when you're trying to use them threaded into an aluminum adapter.

So the last time I took the rear cartridge out of the buggy I decided I was going to fix the weaknesses.  What you will see here is the result of my trying to fix all the problems.  I guess we'll find out after I get the first one from the first batch.  Feel free to comment and criticize as that's how we all learn and the sport of mini buggies progresses.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:22:43 PM by Lance-W »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: The next generation chain drive 930CV rear end with reverse.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »
impressive! i like the write up and drawings. what hp or reduction starter have you set this up for?  any idea on a price for this drive?  i like the busa engine mounts also what are the mounting centers for the rear a arms tabbed onto your cassette?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
are you bringing one to ls with you?

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »
are you bringing one to ls with you?

It's in fab now.  I don't think it'll make it to LS

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »
Dude.

There is no "smiley" on this forum to truly express my inner "Giggidy" at this present moment in time..

That's all I got.

Drool on....
.uh.. I mean carry on..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
Someone's been busy!  We shall toast ya w a frosty cold beverage! 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »
Excellent redesign!!!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
Dude.

There is no "smiley" on this forum to truly express my inner "Giggidy" at this present moment in time..

That's all I got.

Drool on....
.uh.. I mean carry on..

Just for you, and only for a short time, look above the post box or type in
Code: [Select]
giggity

You are now free to giggity about the forum....

Nice work Lance.  Mostly Greek to me, but I like the pretty colors on the drawerings. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:35:44 PM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
I Would expect nothing less than perfect from you Lance. That is a work of art. You are a true design engineer. You and wess are my heroes.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
That means a LOT coming from you Fast! I think the same of you.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
I Would expect nothing less than perfect from you Lance. That is a work of art. You are a true design engineer. You and wess are my heroes.

Just to echo Fabr.  That means a hell of a lot coming from someone I have so much respect for............

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 08:37:21 AM »
impressive! i like the write up and drawings. what hp or reduction starter have you set this up for?  any idea on a price for this drive?  i like the busa engine mounts also what are the mounting centers for the rear a arms tabbed onto your cassette?

Center to center pivot spacing on the rear arm is 11.219"   but that would be any easy thing to change to accommodate a persons needs.

The starter is from here.  http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-190-starter-subaru-outback-25l-30l-00-01-02-03-04.aspx

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »
I can't believe that I am just now seeing this.  Lance... This is such an improvement over the original design of Tony's.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
yes he did. glad you found it.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
What ever happened to this build?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal