Author Topic: Millermatic 175? Worth buying?  (Read 15055 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Millermatic 175? Worth buying?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:09 AM »
What is your skill set for the job search?  Vegas is no go.  But Phoenix is not too bad.

Not sure how elaborate you wish me to be. I have a Associated degree in electronics and a Bachelors degree in Automated manufacturing.

I worked as a maintenance mechanic for Quaker Oats Gatorade plant for a couple years and then got in Chrsyler and was a Supervisor there at thier foundry in Indianapolis for 8 plus years then when they closed that I went to Detroit to supervise the floor there at one of thier engine plants where they took the blocks we USED to make in Indy and turned them into engines ready to go into cars. Was there just under a couple years. 

I have done a few other things before that (Underground fiber optics) and while in school I worked for Cybo robots setting up robot welding cells (I did the base layout and wired in the wleders and the PLC units. Mild programming). But the other above (Quaker and Chrysler) is my time since school.

I am VERY open to new lines of work.

I was trying pretty hard for a while to get into Woodward, Oklahoma to get into a windmill farm near there for setup and maintenace of the windmills as that would be something I could get into easily and be near Little Sahara there. But never got the call I wanted to show up.   

Don't mind the cold "to" much and the heat I think I can deal with as long as its not ass busting work in it.

Other things I have done.

Repaired/cleaned/calibrated Blood analizing machines. (nasty)

Operated and drove heavy equipment (for the fiber optics installation work). Had a CDL class "A" for transporting heavy equipment (I do not longer have it but could re-get it)

Worked built and ran assembly lines for Airplane lightning detection devices and airplane collision avoidance systems. Ran line prep and basic assembly of the circuits boards components for "Jet electronics" (The company name) before wave solder. Also did surface mount soldering (by hand) for a time.   

(If you fly on a commercial US airplane there is a roughly 65-70 percent chance the system I built are on it to help it avoid hitting another plane! Sleep tight on that flight! lol) "Hey!, Whats that beeping light over there mean??"  ;D   

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:05 AM »
I love the 1st requirment of job, How far from sand? LMAO LMAO  Their building a big VW plant in Chattanooga TN, but it 940 miles to LS.  But we could carpool. rofl 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
lol Yup thats a REQUIREMENT.

Heck for a good while I was looking likeall hell to find ANYTHING in the town of Brawley, California.  A little map dot not 15 miles from Glamis's north end.

Not much there but cheap to live and no fancy motor home or crazy tow rig needed for that far!

Looked at Yuma, Arizona too near Glamis's south end but its a military town and not much there(especially now its really hurtin g I understand for a while itwas the WORST in the nation for jobless-ness. (Plus I no speaka da Spaneeeish! Wish I did now) 

So Idaho and Upper Utah is looking pretty good. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
Nutz

Hutchson Kansas is getting a huge new wind generating plant.  The name slips my mind right now.  But I think it is Simmons or something like that.  They will be hiring close to five hundred pepole in the next year.  They are furnishing all the wind turbines for the western Kansas wind farms.  Best of all Hutchson is just two hours north of LS. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
Nutz

Hutchson Kansas is getting a huge new wind generating plant.  The name slips my mind right now.  But I think it is Simmons or something like that.  They will be hiring close to five hundred pepole in the next year.  They are furnishing all the wind turbines for the western Kansas wind farms.  Best of all Hutchson is just two hours north of LS.

Thankee.... I will look into it. How do the windmills take the tornadoes in Kansas I wonder? Tornadoes (and Fabr  ;D ) are the only reason I can think of not wanting to move there!

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »
Windmills like wind. LMAO   

Quit a few oil wells/refineries in that area too.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
Not sure if I wanna work in a refinery or on an oil well.

8 plus years in a foundry was enough crap to breath/put up with.

I would prefer the windmill bit.

I have been called by a place a few times (but not in a while) up in Wisconsin (not to far from Doug Heim) to work in a foundry but they want you to work in the filth and the heat of a foundry for LESS money than I could make working at a WHITECASTLE Burger joint on third shift in Indianapolis, Indiana!!

I pointed that out to four recruiters for that place. One of them even checked me on it! He called me back to say how surprised he was! I told him double the Foundry pay and we might talk. but he could not get that of course! lol

I am no fan of the steam burgers (sliders) but I like thier chicken and fish sandwiches and I would DAM sure rather go home smelling like onions than foundry dust. Rather breath onion odors to.... And I aint no fan of onions!

But foundries stink. Refinereys too I bet. I been by them and they did anyways. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »
Thankee.... I will look into it. How do the windmills take the tornadoes in Kansas I wonder? Tornadoes (and Fabr  ;D ) are the only reason I can think of not wanting to move there!
love you too............................................nutz  ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

kb

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »
I like my Lincoln 180c 750$ new

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »
Do you think $2,500 is good for a DX250 syncro wave tig runner with a water cooled torch?
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 06:34:09 AM »
Do you think $2,500 is good for a DX250 syncro wave tig runner with a water cooled torch?

Excellent price with the water cooled torch.  IMO.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
Does it come with the cooler tho?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »
Yep sure does! :o

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 06:30:52 AM »
and it's not bought yet?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »
Yeah I bought it when I was over in the States, it's being shipped!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal