Author Topic: Millermatic 175? Worth buying?  (Read 15054 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Millermatic 175? Worth buying?
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
Right now I have an older Solar 2120 110 volt wire feed welder and although it has gotton me through a lot I am looking to upgrade a bit.

I cannot really afford this one I am looking at right now (but may still buy it...) and I surely cannot afford one of the nice monsters many of you are snagging in the other threads (Plus I cannot move one of those to easily. Course I could build a kart...)  but I have found a nice looking Millermatic-175 220 volt (single phase) welder with a cart (the carts OK but not spectacular) and a tank that comes with it for 650 dollars (asking price)

I already know its gonna be head over heels above my 120 volt unit. And its quite easily portable for my needs.

I am not sure if this is a good deal or if I should keep looking as I see Millermatic 250's and 251's for $1000 to $1300 here and there.

But I am thinking the 175 will be more than I need for a good long time?

Thoughts?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
Re: Millermatic 175? Worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
Also if you had a chocie would you go with Miller Or Lincoln?

I have seen some evidence and heard a lot of folks say that a miller will lay in better welds. Especially where you start and stop (say in welding around a tube and have to move to a new position or weld 1/4 way around it at a time to minimize distortion. 

Again thoughts and opinons?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »
My thoughts are----what are you needing it to do?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »
I thought you we getting rid of stuff B4 the move.  Although if the dollie is nice, that could be helpful. rofl 

quick search:
Miller 175 vs Miller 180 MIG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both new at my local store, but the 175 is on clearance since it is considered old. Price is going to be about $675 for the 175 and about ~$770 for the 180. Roughly a $100 difference.

The arc quality of the Miller 175 is not as good as Hobart Handler 187 or Millermatic 180.
I would pay the extra $100 for the better welder.

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
Mostly looking for a machine that will lay a better weld than the one I have.

The one I have I have used and abused it a good bit and took it beyond its duty cycle a few times. Its never shut off on me and its got built in protection but I beleive I have worked it a couple times harder than I ought to have. I have in the past welded thicker metla than it was "supposed" to be able to do but it layed them in good and they held.

Sometimes when I use it now igt goes awry. I need to clean the tip a bit more and sometimes its my nerves but at times it seems to weld gorgeous and other times not worth a spit.

I do not have a set metal thickness max in mind for my next machine. I just know this machine (The 175) is a dam good step up from the one I have and would mostly be for buggy frames and other doo dads. 

But I was just told that there is one guy in front of me to look at it (My luck) so he will likely buy it.

What timing...

So I JUST now recieved a call that the first guy bought the welder. So my search continues.

Guess I will keep looking for a Millermatic 250 or 251. I already know that will do most things I will ever need too.

Unless I bump into a killer deal on a 175! lol

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:44:17 PM »
I thought you we getting rid of stuff B4 the move.  Although if the dollie is nice, that could be helpful. rofl 

quick search:
Miller 175 vs Miller 180 MIG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both new at my local store, but the 175 is on clearance since it is considered old. Price is going to be about $675 for the 175 and about ~$770 for the 180. Roughly a $100 difference.

The arc quality of the Miller 175 is not as good as Hobart Handler 187 or Millermatic 180.
I would pay the extra $100 for the better welder.

I AM getting rid of stuff but would not pass up a good deal. The welder was $650.00 but it came with a kart and a tank. No biggee as I did not like the kart anyways and I have a tank if need be. But an extra is always nice. But for the price differance? Hmmm Might like you said just be better off looking some more.

That said I have heard horror stores about Hobarts. Nothing real to base it on but see LOTS of bad things about them online.

Still thinking (now more so)  I should stick to my guns and go for a Miller 250 or 251.

Offline cleppla

• Fabricator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
I found a great deal on Craigslist about a year and a half ago.  Lincoln 180 (220v) practically brand new with everything still in plastic bags.  I paid $350.   I was able to sell my old 110v lincoln unit for $250. 

Chris

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
That IS a smoking deal. I will keep my peepers open for one like that. I doubt I will get that lucky. But I can try to get close. 

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
I have two millers. Like them both. DS has a hobart that has worked like a champ! Hobart is owned by miller.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
I have heard before that a Hobart is really a rebadged Miller but I have seen many time where people say to avoid Hobarts like the plauge.

I wonder if Hobarts are all good and it is just a lot of disgruntled people who are mad they paid full Miller price instead of the cheaper Hobart price?

But if the Hobarts are Miller made but so much cheaper can they be as good?  We wonderszzz....... Yes we wonderzzzzsssssss......

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I bought the Hobart 140.  Had about 3 yrs no problems.  I will do as much/more than I need it for.  The biggest problem with my Hobart is the operator.   kick 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »
Nutz,where ya movin to?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
I have heard before that a Hobart is really a rebadged Miller but I have seen many time where people say to avoid Hobarts like the plague.

They are not re-badged, but are very similar.  Think of Hobart like a really low end Miller.  I'm sure they share quite a few parts, but the difference is in the features.  Millers typically have better drive mechanism's and infinite controls compared to Hobart's plastic drive tension mechanism and tapped controls.  I am sure there are other differences as well. Both companies are owned by ITW IIRC.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 07:12:44 AM »
They are not re-badged, but are very similar.  Think of Hobart like a really low end Miller.  I'm sure they share quite a few parts, but the difference is in the features.  Millers typically have better drive mechanism's and infinite controls compared to Hobart's plastic drive tension mechanism and tapped controls.  I am sure there are other differences as well. Both companies are owned by ITW IIRC.

Good to know. I think I will still hold out for Miller.

Nutz,where ya movin to?

Still not sure. I might try to stay here in Michigan (one job I am HOPING for) but this place is among the worst for jobs and the idiots in Lansing (our capitol) are more interested in fighting than fixing and are not smart enough to do either it seems. As more people leave this state they try to tax the ones that are here even more! Effin geniuses.

Looking at anywhere there is good Sand Dunes nearby! lol  Yup! Thats a requirement for me. Now nearby is a tad relative. I could happily live in Phoenix Arizona and make the drive to Glamis as its a 250 plus mile drive but its a really cool one! Same goes for Vegas. To be that close to Dumont and a shortish drive to Glamis I would I would I would. Prob is both those places have high unemployment too! Still if a good job call came....

So I am eye balling Salt Lake City, Utah right now. Got some leads there (but nothing set in stone) and its got a lot of Duning around it (desert too). Be a short drive up to Idaho for St Anthonies as well. Dumonts Dunes are only 8 hours away (give or take) and Glamis about 12 hours. Not bad for a vacation or even a good fun weekend perhaps.

Even giving Oklahoma some attention to be near LS there. (also surrounding states)

Basically if I can support myself and my habit (Snorting sand) I would go there.

The dunes here are fun but compared to Glamis and Dumont I'll take those. Especially if a decent job comes with!

Here in Michigan we have issues getting into these dunes that are "unique" to the dune world. On any given day its drive in and go. but on busy weekends you have to get in line first for a "voucher" (Piece of paper) then get in the Dunes on the time window on the voucher. Totally stupid. The guy who came up with it thinks hes smart but hes about as dumb as they come.

I live 12 minutes away from the Dunes entrace (by asphalt. (9 if you take the dirt road shortcut) and I have spent over four hours trying to get in on a busy weekends before. I used to drive from Indianapolis up here (5.5 hours and from Detroit to here (3.5 hours) but while its my "home town" Dunes. Its a BIG pain.

With a trailer its worse! Above is if you are "Dune ready" and can drive right out into the dunes here!  If you think this is long the stories I could tell.

But its still a neat little (little being the big word here) dune area and during the off days its great to be near it. Holiday weekends are a bitch though.  But almost worth it to get in JUST to see the fools being fools.

So I am ready to move on to a place where there is work... (If I can find that) and bigger better dunzes!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
What is your skill set for the job search?  Vegas is no go.  But Phoenix is not too bad.   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal